Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Odomize
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default before game food?

whats the best food to eat before balling? peeps say pasta is good, anything else? what meat to go with pasta?

Default Re: before game food?

Stuffed vine leaves, my mom always make them and its amazing.

Load up on carbs the night before a games. Pizza, pasta, anything. Eat light and healthy before, you don't want to feel any of the food on your stomach while your playing. If your nervous lay off acid, avoid too much citrus.

Anyone who knows nutrition will tell you to eat complex carbs the night before (ae brown rice) and simple carbs 2-3 hours before your game (fruit is always a good call).

But its whatever works for you. I personally like a baked potato (complex) about 1 hour before a game because I dont like playing on an empty stomach and it sets well with me.

Odomize
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

The night before

I usually play at around 8 pm at night. Will the carb from the night before stay that long?

And what do you drink at the game? is gatorade and those sports drink actually good?

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

water

I personally drink water. Most of the people who were on my team were always drinkin' gatorade and powerade and such. It just doesn't settle for me. I can't play a game with it on my stomach. Works fine for them though, depends on the person.

I rule the local playground kap's Avatar

yea i say water is the way to go too. when i drink energy drinks it's usually after a workout, cause for me it settles me down. and i don't want to feel settled down during a game

I don't get picked last at the park anymore ABPrints's Avatar

Game meals start before the season starts. Develop a good eating pattern. It is tough being in school 8 hours a day though. Eat breakfast, mainly protein to keep you feeling fuller (eggs) and a mixed lunch with protein and carbs and fat. Pregame can be simple carbs, but these will get burned off pretty quickly. The offdays are where ou will need to be smart.

Saw a basketball once

peanut butter and bread is good to have an hour or 2 before the game.. during the game gatorade is good but i water it down half way cause it's got too much sugar.

Learning to shoot layups

I'm going to say bananas, if you're talking <1 before the game. Otherwise, heavier carbs such as pasta or potatoes are excellent

__________________________________________________ _________________
    11 ideas to improve your mental ability in basketball.
    http://www.best-basketball-tips.com/...an-within.html

Plus, lots of FREE stuff at:
    www.best-basketball-tips.com

Saw a basketball once

I also recommend eating a banana beforehand. The pottasium(sp?) helps in reducing cramps. Also some bread or toast w/ peanut butter is good fro some carbs and protien. Water before and during the game is a must.

Local High School Star tastystaci's Avatar

Raisins, no doubt. My pre-game ritual was eating a box of raisins. They used to clown me, but not after I went out and balled on 'em.

Future D1 Dad

Quote Originally Posted by H2whoa
    Load up on carbs the night before a games. Pizza, pasta, anything. Eat light and healthy before, you don't want to feel any of the food on your stomach while your playing. If your nervous lay off acid, avoid too much citrus.
    i agree. carbs is the way to go.

Professionals, espeically in case of back-to-back matches, eat sweet stuff before the game. Just something like a Snickers or any other chocolate bar, and some Gatorade or even soda. Sugar is very important for endurance and your "wiring". But if you have enough rest, there's no need for additional stimulants. Just make sure you eat well AFTER the game or workout.

Also, make sure you don't eat heavy right before the game. Give it at least 2 hours before going to the game.
    Last edited by Atrokkus; 04-12-2009 at 06:16 AM.