Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MJ's record 10 scoring titles is in jeopardy....

This is something that I don't see discussed here often, but Durant at 25 is about to win his 5th scoring title and he hasn't even peaked yet. And looking at the landscape over the next few seasons, I dont see anyone who is going to really challenge him unless someone new emerges. Lebron has pretty much settled into being a 26 ppg guy in Miami, Kobe is close to done( and his years of scoring 30ppg ended 7-8 seasons ago), Melo is at his peak now and it doesn't look like we'll get any 30+ ppg seasons out of him, I can see Harden peaking at about 28-29 ppg, but if Durant continues at his current scoring level, which is the highest ppg since the mid 2000s explosion after the rules changes, I don't see anyone stopping him health permitting from seriously challenging MJ's record.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Default Re: MJ's record 10 scoring titles is in jeopardy....

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    This is something that I don't see discussed here often, but Durant at 25 is about to win his 5th scoring title and he hasn't even peaked yet. And looking at the landscape over the next few seasons, I dont see anyone who is going to really challenge him unless someone new emerges. Lebron has pretty much settled into being a 26 ppg guy in Miami, Kobe is close to done( and his years of scoring 30ppg ended 7-8 seasons ago), Melo is at his peak now and it doesn't look like we'll get any 30+ ppg seasons out of him, I can see Harden peaking at about 28-29 ppg, but if Durant continues at his current scoring level, which is the highest ppg since the mid 2000s explosion after the rules changes, I don't see anyone stopping him health permitting from seriously challenging MJ's record.
    4th.

But he should be getting his 5th if he didn't intentionally hand the title over to Melo lat year.

He's going to win his 4th, and this is his first 30+ ppg season. Westbrook was out for the vast majority of it too. I don't think it's near being in jeapordy yet. MJ won 10 straight in the seasons he's played. Other people have already stole ones from Durant.

What the hell? Where did ALL the replies in this thread go?

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    He's going to win his 4th, and this is his first 30+ ppg season. Westbrook was out for the vast majority of it too. I don't think it's near being in jeapordy yet. MJ won 10 straight in the seasons he's played. Other people have already stole ones from Durant.
    2nd, but I agree it's a bit early. It does seem that KD is the biggest threat, though, of anyone in the league or coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    What the hell? Where did ALL the replies in this thread go?
    Guy created 2 threads for whatever reason

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Second 30ppg season, bro.

2nd( 30.1 in 2010). I guess it remains to be seen if he'll keep up a 30ppg pace over the coming seasons with Westbrook on the team, whether someone new emerges, and what Lebron/Melo etc do.

Quote Originally Posted by WallIn
    Guy created 2 threads for whatever reason
    It wasnt a conscious effort, I was trying to edit the title of the thread and wound up accidentally creating a second thread. Maybe the mods could combine them....?

Decent college freshman Doctor Rivers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    It wasnt a conscious effort, I was trying to edit the title of the thread and wound up accidentally creating a second thread. Maybe the mods could combine them....?
    no

It's his 2nd one.

He averaged 30.1 ppg in 2009-10

I'm sure MJ cries at night because of this.

MJ likely would have had 12 had he not retired after '93.

And Chamberlain likely would have had 10 in a row had he been so inclined. In his first seven seasons he averaged 40 ppg...combined. In his '66-67 season, he "only" averaged 24 ppg (on a .683 FG%), which included the high game in the NBA that season of 58 points. Even the eventual scoring champion, Rick Barry, who averaged 35.6 ppg, stated that he (Barry) won it, only because Wilt didn't want it.

In '68 Chamberlain again only averaged 24 ppg (on a .595 FG%), but he put up the FOUR highest scoring games of the season ( 52, 53, 53, and 68 points.)

In '69, Wilt's coach decided that West and Baylor should get the bulk of the shots, and at the mid-way point in the season it got so bad that SI ran an article that "Wilt could no longer score." Chamberlain exploded for 60 points on the night before it hit the newstands, and a few days later he hung a 66 point. Over the course of 17 straight games, Wilt averaged 31.1 ppg.

Hell, even as late as his 69-70 season, and after Wilt's new coach had asked Chamberlain to become the focal point of the offense, he was leading the league in scoring at 32.2 ppg (on a .579 FG%), when he blew out his knee in the ninth game.

In any case, Chamberlain most certainly could have scored much more in his career.

durant hasn't peaked yet? do you think he has much farther to go as a player? you guys kill me.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge
    4th.

But he should be getting his 5th if he didn't intentionally hand the title over to Melo lat year.
    There has to be some sort of conspiracy surrounding last years scoring titles. That was a joke and Melo should be ashamed that he chucked his way to the title because he knew it would be the only thing he ever achieves in his career.