Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
CavaliersFTW
NBA Legend

Default First in Flight - The original MJ and Lebron of the NBA | (Gus Johnson)

**EDIT**New highlight vid (now with never before seen NCAA clips!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0oYuSgG_cs

And a great bio:
http://www.jockbio.com/Classic/Gus_J...hnson_bio.html

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 02-14-2013 at 11:22 PM.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
Gotterdammerung
God-killer

Default Re: First in Flight - The original MJ and Lebron of the NBA | (Gus Johnson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inside hoops
vBulletin Message
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CavaliersFTW again.
Gotterdammerung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
Derka
Wicked F*ckin Retahded

Default Re: First in Flight - The original MJ and Lebron of the NBA | (Gus Johnson)

I looked at that title real quick and thought it said "Fist Fight" and "MJ and Lebron" and was like
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
Mamba
Vince Carter > Kobe

repped.
Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
CavaliersFTW
NBA Legend

JockBio snippet:
"Like Baylor, Gus had an explosive takeoff that enabled him to hang in the air long enough to position his body for layups and dunks. Plus he could leave the floor 15 feet from the basket and remain high enough to glide past defenders until he reached the rim. Not even Baylor could do that.

The legend of Gus Johnson began in a game against the Royals. He was dribbling down the court, eyeing an opening in the lane. As he began to accelerate, a Cincinnati defender moved in front of the basket. Gus suddenly picked up his dribble and left the floor in the vicinity of the free throw line. Jay Arnette, sitting on the Royals’ bench, nudged teammate Bud Olsen, and both started laughing, thinking Johnson was now stuck in the air with nowhere to go.

“We’re still snickering when Johnson, still in the air, dunks the ball,” Arnette remembers. “None of us on the bench could believe what we’d seen.”

Another convert on the Royals was Oscar Robertson. Over the years, Gus was assigned to guard the Big O, and no one in the NBA did a better job. Robertson thrived on backing defenders into places that would maximize his shooting and passing options. Gus simply refused to let him reach those spots. Like Gus, Robertson was an expert at using his strong hands when guarding his opponents. Their battles produced a lot of bruises.

It wasn’t just the Royals who watched Gus in disbelief his first NBA season. Butch Komives of the Knicks had a similar memory from 1963–64. He had played with Thurmond at Bowling Green, and all Thurmond could talk about was how good this guy Gus Johnson was. Komives finally got a chance to see for himself when Baltimore and New York met for the first time. Nate hadn’t been lying.

“I watched him soar over Willis Reed and Bad News Barnes,” says Komives. “I couldn’t believe it, but he kept doing it.”

Reed, it is worth noting, was no shrinking violet. Even on those bad New York teams of the early 1960s, he was one of the league’s foremost enforcers. It would eventually take a combination of Reed and Dave DeBusschere for the Knicks to contain Gus.

Gus amazed fans throughout his rookie year. In a game played in Baltimore, Dischinger missed a jump shot, but Gus was trailing the play. When he saw the rebound would be long, he took off from the foul line, grabbed the ball behind his head with his right arm cocked, and tomahawked it into the basket. The play was so fast and so brutal that referee Richie Powers claims that all he saw was the ball ripping through the cords as Gus flew past the baseline. For years, every basketball fan in Baltimore claimed to have been in the arena that day.

In a game against the Warriors, Gus received a great pass near the basket for what should have been an uncontested dunk. San Francisco guard Guy Rodgers felt an intentional foul was called for, so he blocked Gus’s shoulders with his outstretched arms. Gus jumped, Rodgers hung on, and the weight of both men destroyed the rim as Gus dunked the ball with a 200-pound player riding on his back."
Old 02-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
CavaliersFTW
NBA Legend

I just found some college footage of Gus! Will upload soon
Old 02-11-2013, 02:02 AM   #7
CavaliersFTW
NBA Legend

http://youtu.be/-wdEf2yj7fg

GUS THE GAWD

never before seen NCAA clips in the newest mix!!! Found an NCAA game half that shows young 22 year old sophomore Gus running the offense with bedazzling Magic-like passes and playing some flat out SCARY defense!

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 02-11-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:06 AM   #8
BrickingStar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW

GUS THE GAWD

never before seen NCAA clips in the newest mix!!! Shows young 22 year old Gus running the offense with bedazzling Magic-like passes and playing flat out SCARY defense!
You should wait a full 24 hours after heat beating lakers and leZeus beating Kobe gamedays if you want to bring more attention/tribute to good past players like these on this messsageboard. ISH Hangover 101.

Last edited by BrickingStar : 02-11-2013 at 02:09 AM.
BrickingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:24 AM   #9
Dro
NBA rookie of the year

Nice thread bro.....
Dro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #10
PHILA
Decent college freshman

Quote:

GUS THE GAWD

never before seen NCAA clips in the newest mix!!! Found an NCAA game half that shows young 22 year old sophomore Gus running the offense with bedazzling Magic-like passes and playing some flat out SCARY defense!

One of the overlooked greats from that era. I am trying to picture the all-time Akron, OH frontcourt with Thurmond, Johnson, & LeBron. Good luck to any opponent trying to score.

He also had at least a standing vert reach of 11'6.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/...re_no_tal.html

Another famous Johnson story happened at a bar in Moscow, Idaho. It was called "The Corner Club." While playing for Idaho, Johnson stopped in. A beam hung from the high ceiling. To win a bet. Johnson said he could touch the beam -- leaping straight up with both feet on the ground, no running start.

He did.

It was measured at 11 feet, 6 inches.

The bar owner put a nail into the spot on the beam touched by Johnson, offering anyone else who could do it a free drink.

For years, no one did, not even 7-foot NBA star Bill Walton, who tried in 1984. But in 1986, a College of Southern Idaho player named Joey Johnson leaped and touched the nail.

Joey Johnson is the brother of NBA star Dennis Johnson, who is in this same Hall of Fame class with Gus Johnson.

Gus Johnson's career lasted from 1963 to '73, cut short by severe knee problems. He averaged 17 points and 13 rebounds, playing mostly with Baltimore. His final two years were in Phoenix and with the Indiana Pacers of the old American Basketball Association.

Silas tells a story about Baltimore coach Gene Shue screaming at his team during halftime. Shue was saying, "You guys can't do this . . . you're not doing that . . . you guys got no heart . . ."

Silas said Johnson stood up and said, "Who are these 'you guys'? If they got a name, say it."

Shue didn't.

"Because no one could say that about Gus Johnson," said Silas
PHILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
sundizz
National High School Star

watched 6 or so minutes...saw an occasional play here and there that was athletic. Didn't feel inclined to finish the rest. Anyone care to make gifs of the top 3 parts of that video?

Also, anyone know why he died so young (48)?

Also, I'd say David Lee is more athletic than him. David Lee seems to be stronger, taller, faster, can jump higher. Basically, can do everything basketball related better. Not Gus's fault...his era no one was advanced yet so he had nothing to watch or learn from growing up.
sundizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
CavaliersFTW
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundizz
watched 6 or so minutes...saw an occasional play here and there that was athletic. Didn't feel inclined to finish the rest. Anyone care to make gifs of the top 3 parts of that video?

Also, anyone know why he died so young (48)?

Also, I'd say David Lee is more athletic than him. David Lee seems to be stronger, taller, faster, can jump higher. Basically, can do everything basketball related better. Not Gus's fault...his era no one was advanced yet so he had nothing to watch or learn from growing up.
nobody is making sh*t for you, what are you 10 years old? grow an attention span kid

When you obtain a semblence of an attention spead, read his bio first here: http://www.jockbio.com/Classic/Gus_J...hnson_bio.html

, then watch the video in it's entirety, and the stuff your watching will begin to make a lot more sense and you'll already know everything you need to know about gus (including why/how he died). The highlight footage is like, 4 total games worth of source material. Can you imagine trying to showcase Lebron James to the future world and tell everyone what a freak athlete / gifted offensive and defensive player he was based on a pitiful 4 completely random games (half of which being all-star games)? Gus was free throw line dunking over Willis Reed, and shattered 3 NBA backboards, he was no David Lee. The highlights are mostly him on cruise control - there are a few athletic plays yes, but because it's such a small sample pool they mostly are only able to show what a smooth game he had on offense and what a rugged rebounder and defender he was.

Man I feel sorry for the "meh" generation of teenagers these days you'll never learn anything if you just want every piece of info summarized and handed to you on a silver platter.

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 02-11-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
sundizz
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
nobody is making sh*t for you, what are you 10 years old? grow an attention span kid

When you obtain a semblence of an attention spead, read his bio first here: http://www.jockbio.com/Classic/Gus_J...hnson_bio.html

, then watch the video in it's entirety, and the stuff your watching will begin to make a lot more sense and you'll already know everything you need to know about gus (including why/how he died). The highlight footage is like, 4 total games worth of source material. Can you imagine trying to showcase Lebron James to the future world and tell everyone what a freak athlete / gifted offensive and defensive player he was based on a pitiful 4 completely random games (half of which being all-star games)? Gus was free throw line dunking over Willis Reed, and shattered 3 NBA backboards, he was no David Lee. The highlights are mostly him on cruise control - there are a few athletic plays yes, but because it's such a small sample pool they mostly are only able to show what a smooth game he had on offense and what a rugged rebounder and defender he was.

Man I feel sorry for the "meh" generation of teenagers these days you'll never learn anything if you just want every piece of info summarized and handed to you on a silver platter.

So, as usual you just have an agenda with your videos; convert people to thinking he was a freak athlete. Also, if you took 4 completely random games of Lebron James you would be able to see his freak athleticism if he even had one breakwaway (or in traffic) dunk. I hated Lebron coming into the NBA, but after his FIRST NBA game it was clear that he was quite possibly the best athlete the NBA has ever seen.

I have spare time this weekend so I'll watch the videos then. Just saying..if i watch half a video and see nothing remotely close to Lebron James/Mike/Kobe then i don't really feel like putting myself through that. I respect you for making these mixes and liking these old players, but it's not as interesting to everyone as you. Don't hate on people for having an opinion. Watching weak dribbling, with weak moves, with no fluidity to their games is not what I call entertaining.

Also, unless those 'feats' are on video they are just comments people say. It could of happened, no question about it. Kind of pointless to conjecture about it though since I see one level of athleticism in the video, and a whole different level of athleticism being talked about. In the video you showed he looked less athletic than David Lee. And i don't say that as a bad thing. David Lee is fast, strong and has hops. He even won the high school dunk contest.

Edit: In that whole video there is clearly not one instance where his head gets rim level (like Jordan, Lebron etc). He had some free fast break dunks there and the amount of ups he got wasn't anything amazing. For his time, yes amazing, but in historical terms not amazing. I think his strength, and playing looked great. Sweet jumper, and looked strong as an ox. His dribbling, passing, speed, and hops seemed pedestrian compared to Jordan, Lebron or Kobe. Again, it is you with the comparison to these level players. If you said he looked like a better version of Chuck Hayes I'd agree.

Last edited by sundizz : 02-11-2013 at 08:19 PM.
sundizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #14
CavaliersFTW
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundizz
So, as usual you just have an agenda with your videos; convert people to thinking he was a freak athlete. Also, if you took 4 completely random games of Lebron James you would be able to see his freak athleticism if he even had one breakwaway (or in traffic) dunk. I hated Lebron coming into the NBA, but after his FIRST NBA game it was clear that he was quite possibly the best athlete the NBA has ever seen.

I have spare time this weekend so I'll watch the videos then. Just saying..if i watch half a video and see nothing remotely close to Lebron James/Mike/Kobe then i don't really feel like putting myself through that. I respect you for making these mixes and liking these old players, but it's not as interesting to everyone as you. Don't hate on people for having an opinion. Watching weak dribbling, with weak moves, with no fluidity to their games is not what I call entertaining.

Also, unless those 'feats' are on video they are just comments people say. It could of happened, no question about it. Kind of pointless to conjecture about it though since I see one level of athleticism in the video, and a whole different level of athleticism being talked about. In the video you showed he looked less athletic than David Lee. And i don't say that as a bad thing. David Lee is fast, strong and has hops. He even won the high school dunk contest.

Edit: In that whole video there is clearly not one instance where his head gets rim level (like Jordan, Lebron etc). He had some free fast break dunks there and the amount of ups he got wasn't anything amazing. For his time, yes amazing, but in historical terms not amazing. I think his strength, and playing looked great. Sweet jumper, and looked strong as an ox. His dribbling, passing, speed, and hops seemed pedestrian compared to Jordan, Lebron or Kobe. Again, it is you with the comparison to these level players. If you said he looked like a better version of Chuck Hayes I'd agree.
So shattering 3 backboards, having an 11'6" standing vertical reach, free throw line dunking in games and being notoriously strong and athletic holding his peers in awe in the pre-steroid/HGH era - etc doesn't qualify as freak athleticism? Clearly his peers and the witnesses of his athletic feats all started this "agenda". I'm merely passing the word along. And I also organized and am now showing his (still very limited) footage that survives of him. Of which, there certainly are at least a few very athletic plays being showcased within it thus along with some common sense and reasonable trust pertaining to his peers I believe there is ample evidence to believe he was a "freak athlete".

P.S.

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 02-11-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
9erempiree
Banned

Another hype video with dramatic music. We need game time footage to really judge how good he was.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: