Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Default Re: peak Bird vs peak Lebron

Quote Originally Posted by Kingwillball
    Bottom line one on one Lebron would blow by Bird to the basket for layups and dunks while bird would shoot contested fadeaways.. Sorry Bird fans hang on to your argument now as a few years from now Lebron will easily pass him at this pace.
    I didn't realise the NBA was a 1-on-1 league.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Solefade
    I was saying the same thing...Who are we to say as just basketball fans that LeBron is or isn't better than MJ or Larry when all the former players who have played with MJ and coaches speculate on it as if it could be a real possibility?

Phil, Magic, Larry, Barkley, Pippen have mentioned that he COULD be better (we have yet to see if he will be) but obviously right now he's not there yet. The point is LeBron has the tools to be the GOAT, it's up to him on whether or not he transcends himself.
    So then you'd agree that Kobe could be the GOAT because they've all said the exact same thing about him too.

I rule the local playground Rondo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingwillball
    Lebron is clearly better than Kobe though meaning Kobe was never as good as Lebron at his best. I think when Lebron is locked in and in attack mode he is the most unstoppable force ever that isnt a center.
    He is better than Kobe, agreed, but point is people also said the same sh*t about Kobe and how he was as good as MJ. Just because the media and stans talk about it doesn't make it true.

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    So then you'd agree that Kobe could be the GOAT because they've all said the exact same thing about him too.

Have they? All I've heard is he's the closest thing to MJ since MJ that's not insinuating that he's just as good or better though.

I don't think I've heard former players say he's potentially the GOAT.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Have they? All I've heard is he's the closest thing to MJ since MJ that's not insinuating that he's just as good or better though.

Selective listening

Peak is very debatable. I never say Bird in his prime live so I don't really know though. It's only a matter of time before Lebron passes him as the GOAT SF due to longevity and the length of his peak

Dunking on everybody in the park chosen_wun's Avatar

When Kobe was peaking the media and players were saying all kinds of stupid shit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDNBcRsB_-0

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    Selective listening
    Not at all, what did you hear about former players and coaches saying about Kobe?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ichael-jordan/

Phil: "He has the tools to become better than Michael Jordan" --what most former great players and coaches think.

Serious playground baller

LeBron >>> Bird

Bird a better passer than LeBron? In what universe?

Quote Originally Posted by aburre21
    LeBron >>> Bird

In this universe.

7-time NBA All-Star

LeBron >>> Bird

Wait, so you're not only claiming Lebron is a better passer than Bird, but clearly better? Are you also going to claim Lebron is a better rebounder?

Serious playground baller

it's crazy the arguments they'll use. They'll say Bird was the better rebounder because of stats but won't say Bron was the better passer because of his assists numbers. We seen what kind of rebounder LeBron was when he was forced to crash the glass due to the absence of Chris Bosh

7-time NBA All-Star

it's crazy the arguments they'll use. They'll say Bird was the better rebounder because of stats but won't say Bron was the better passer because of his assists numbers. We seen what kind of rebounder LeBron was when he was forced to crash the glass due to the absence of Chris Bosh
    Right, because assist numbers tell you who the better passer was. I guess Westbrook and Rose are better passers than Bird as well.

If you watch a good amount of Bird games, I think you'll see why most consider him a better passer than Lebron. I'd say Bird was one of the 10 best passers in NBA history, and I think most would agree.

I'm not necessarily talking about all around playmaking either, where Lebron's ability off the dribble would come into play.

Rebounding can be judged better by numbers than passing, and Bird's numbers are not only better in both raw(rpg) and advanced(TRB%) but he did it playing alongside Parish and McHale on the same frontline. And he got more offensive rebounds as well, which is always something to consider because more defensive rebounds go uncontested.

But aside from that, you can also see from watching the games that Bird was clearly the better rebounding. They weren't even comparable as far as boxing out and timing.

I rule the local playground Rondo's Avatar

LeBron >>> Bird

Bird's one of the greatest passers the league's ever seen. I'm fine with people saying LeBron's the better overall player but let's keep it realistic here man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhnRtgBGMl4

Watch and appreciate

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    How can he be your favorite player and youve never seen him play on a consistent basis. Meaning im sure youve seen highlights or some of his greatest games etc.
    I guarantee you I know Bird's game more than 80% of people on this site. I've seen a bunch of his games on tape & online.