Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: GOATs in Other Sports

Quote Originally Posted by west
    I'm might be bias as a Barcelona fan but Di Estefano????
    He was considered his era's GOAT, just isn't known that much because of when he played.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles_Oakley

Is it more competitive for GOAT in other sports or is there a more clearcut GOAT candidate than Jordan?
    Jordan - clearcut.

As for other sports - listen to me, not to these crazy fanboys;

Hockey: Gretzky

Tennis: Sampras

Football: Montana

Baseball: Babe Ruth

Soccer: Ronaldo (not Cristiano)

end thread.

Quote Originally Posted by chains5000
    He was considered his era's GOAT, just isn't known that much because of when he played.
    i have never seen him play,i know that he had 5 straght European Cup and all that,but i haven't seen anyone consider him GOAT other than Real Madrid fan

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Riker
    Soccer: Ronaldo (not Cristiano)
    ?

Ronaldo is definitely one of the most talented players ever but to say he's the goat? When he played he was basically unstoppable but he didn't live for his sport, plus he was extremely injury prone. It's a shame really, because he had all the tools to make it. In terms of physical qualities he was superior to everyone else and he was deadly efficient. Still, there are at least 10 players who had a better career than Ronny.

Pelican Brief

Quote Originally Posted by CasterL
    wrong, whilst ali is known as the greatest he isnt considered the best ever. sugar ray robinson was the best boxer ever even ali would tell u that. although i agree with you most people would say hes the goat
    Real hardcore boxing fans would say sugar ray youre right. But he falls victim to fighting so long ago. Are you sure that Ali would say that?

NVM just youtubed to where Ali said he was the greatest pound for pound heavyweight and that Sugar Ray was the best pound for pound boxer ever

Ice Soccer:Gretzky, with Bobby Orr having an argument.

Boxing: Sugar Ray Robinson

Football: Reggie White

Baseball: Willie Mays, then Rickey Henderson
    Pitcher: Satchel Paige

Tennis: Martina Navratilova

Soccer: Pele

Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

Not an avid fan of either sport but I would say Tiger Woods comes to mind in golf and Wayne Gretzky comes to mind in hockey.

Also, the tennis debate is between Sampras, Federer, and possibly Nadal but Nadal still has more work to do before he can really be considered as the best. Although I would say Nadal has more potential to out do Sampras and Federer than LeBron has to out do Jordan.

If Federer wins Roland Garros or two more slams, I'd say he's the GOAT of tennis but that may be short lived seeing as how there will be a time when Federer will decline but Nadal will still be in his prime.

nobody ever is better than Maradona
    Most people would say Pel
    Last edited by Mikaiel; 03-02-2009 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quasimoto
    ?

Ronaldo is definitely one of the most talented players ever but to say he's the goat? When he played he was basically unstoppable but he didn't live for his sport, plus he was extremely injury prone. It's a shame really, because he had all the tools to make it. In terms of physical qualities he was superior to everyone else and he was deadly efficient. Still, there are at least 10 players who had a better career than Ronny.
    Hmm...yes he had some BAD LUCK in his career...

He also had probably the GOAT COMEBACK in football, in 2002 World Cup

From PSV days he was a beast.

Barcelona he had 1 goal per game average.

Inter....ok that Moratti prick had money and had practically italian version of Real but...at least they won UEFA cup LOL against Lazio

Quickest ever. Deadly. Unstopabble. I don't know.

Maybe it's hard to pick GOAT footballer because there are many players on the team and they each got completely different roles...but...

GOAT attacker? I think that's undebatable.

Mikaiel:France is my fav national team,Zidane is one of my fav player ever,but he is not GOAT,top 5 ever in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Mikaiel
    Yeah I'm half French and I live in France, so I might not be the most objective guy
    Qu'est-ce que c'est, I got uncle in St Jean de Maurienne...next time I go visit him, we'll meet and I'll beat you in one-on-one basketball so you can stop bullying me on the forum, oui, si'l vous plait? Bon!

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by GMW
    How about you actually contribute?? Waving a finger and not posting your answer just makes you look like an f'n idiot.

Anyways, the team sports like baseball and football have too many different roles to have a consensus GOAT.

For instance, in baseball, a handful of pitchers could be considered the GOAT pitcher, but since they don't impact the entire game like Jordan did (offense and defense) it wouldn't be right to give them the all-encompassing title of GOAT.

Same goes with (American) football, as at least in the modern era, players would only be on the field for half the game. Sure you could make an argument for players to be the GOAT at certain positions, i.e. Rice at WR, Peyton at RB, Taylor at LB, but none of them have the encompassing presence on the field to be dubbed the GOAT football player.

but he is not GOAT,top 5 ever in my opinion
    Yeah that might be more reasonable. I don't really think he's the GOAT, just wanted to mention his name because probably nobody else was gonna mention him and he deserved it.

BTW, living in France is a pain the ass. They think Zidane is a god and Tony Parker is the best player in the NBA. F*cking annoying Obviously those who know basketball don't think that about Tony Parker, but the media and everyone else ? Hell, I even saw talk shows debating if he could one day surpass MJ And Parker answered "No, I only have 3 rings". Moron.

High School Varsity 6th Man Erathia's Avatar

Basketball: Oscar Robertson

Boxing: Sugar Ray Robinson

Hockey: Wayne Gretzky

Golf: Tiger Woods

Baseball: Willie Mayes

don bradman is probably the most clear cut GOAT in any major sport.

Bradman's career Test batting average of 99.94 has been claimed to be statistically the greatest achievement in any major sport
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Bradman