Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Default Re: Beal vs. Waiters

Waiters is someone that can consistently create his own shot and take it to the hole. Cleveland obviously wanted to surround Kyrie with another shot creator. Something Beal just isn't.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by toneloc103
    You are kidding right? Cavs have been without their (arguably) 2nd best player in Vareajo for some time now. Overall the wizards have better talent than the Cavs now. The frontline of Okafor/Nene >>> Zeller/Thompson. Outside of Kyrie being light years better than Wall already, the teams are pretty much even. Dont want to hear about how much time crazy legs Wall has missed. We have had our share of injuries too. I think if you polled people here, I think the majority would rather have the Cavs than to take the Wiz...
    It's a good thing I don't give a **** what group think permeates this place then I guess. Kyrie Irving being light years better than John Wall is complete fiction btw. He's a much more efficient scorer of the basketball, but he's a terrible defensive player that the Cavs routinely hide from top tier guards (an article was written about this on the Cavs Sbnation blog that conceded that he was a belong average defensive player and acknowledged that the Cavs put Gee on other top pg often and they made it clear that it wasn't an energy saving tactic by Scott.) Aside from the fact that Wall has a per 36 average of 17 and 9, he' a much better facilitator/rebounder/defender than Kyrie. Aka things beyond scoring that have tremendous intrinsic value that people routinely ignore.

And the injury situation with the Wizards and Cavs aren't even remotely comparable. Wall, the engine of the team missed 32 games (and that doesn't include the games Wall played in clearly not in top form), Nene missed over a month and he still isn't actually over his injury, he's simply at a level acceptable to be in the game, but he's still clearly hobbled, Beal missed time, Ariza missed time, their backup pg missed time, Jordan Crawford missed an appreciable amount of time, Trevor Booker missed a month etc. and yet, they still have a higher winning percentage than the Cavs and Kyrie Irving aka the unicorn.

Btw, Okafor was hot garbage before Wall came back for the most part, and Nene is having his least efficient season in memory and still has zero lift, I'm not sure it makes sense to credit them for being the Wizards catalyst as much as Wall, you know, especially since everyone on that club expressly stated that Wall was the catalyst. They were 4-28 without Wall....they're 13-9 with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    He did all of that against one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

Sorry but he's a off-ball SG that can not create consistently off the bounce. I have no issue with players like that but that is NOT the type of player you draft #3 overall and don't regret it in five years.
    He's at least as good as Ray Allen was at UConn putting the ball on the deck (probably better; I saw a ton of Allen in the Big East, including the Big East tournament championship where he hit that literally running shot to beat my Hoyas).

Remember, that was the knock on Ray Allen coming out if college after his JUNIOR season, and it's kinda the reason Miss St beat them in the tourney along with Travis Knight getting destroyed inside.

Beal is significantly younger than rookie Allen, as athletic (Beal had a 39 inch vert at the combine including a 33 inch no step), with a more refined offensive game at a comparable age.

And btw, that game wasn't even close to a one off. Beal played that way or better maybe 10 times in the last two months.
    Last edited by alexthegr8; 02-26-2013 at 10:33 AM.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alexthegr8
    He's at least as good as Ray Allen was at UConn putting the ball on the deck (probably better; I saw a ton of Allen in the Big East, including the Big East tournament championship where he hit that literally running shot to beat my Hoyas).

Remember, that was the knock on Ray Allen coming out if college after his JUNIOR season, and it's kinda the reason Miss St beat them in the tourney along with Travis Knight getting destroyed inside.

Beal is significantly younger than rookie Allen, as athletic (Beal had a 39 inch vert at the combine including a 33 inch no step), with a more refined offensive game at a comparable age.

And btw, that game wasn't even close to a one off. Beal played that way or better maybe 10 times in the last two months.
    There is no way you as someone who watched Ray Allen can truthfully say Beal plays off the bounce as effectively as a younger Ray Allen did.

Awesome side note, now watching the Hoyas vs UConn game cause you reminded me about it.

There is no way you as someone who watched Ray Allen can truthfully say Beal plays off the bounce as effectively as a younger Ray Allen did.

Awesome side note, now watching the Hoyas vs UConn game cause you reminded me about it.
    Game was awesome, although the ending had me.. Btw, that was Allen's junior year, and he really struggled in that game leading up to the game winner creating his own shot. I mean he REALLY struggled creating his own shot that game. The game winner even was a hilariously difficult shot akin to something you might see in a game of Horse. Enjoy the game though, because it definitely was a BE classic.

Btw, I stand by my statement that Beal is better off the dribble right now than sophomore Ray Allen was at UConn (their comparable age seasons). Ray Allen improved his whole game really after that point, shooting included, and I expect Beal to do the same. You already see the Wizards putting the ball in his hands more often and allowing him to initiate the offense. Remember, he's 19. 19!
    Last edited by alexthegr8; 02-26-2013 at 10:53 AM.

LOL at the poster trying to argue Wall>>>Kyrie. There isn't one GM that would take Wall over him.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    Waiters is someone that can consistently create his own shot and take it to the hole. Cleveland obviously wanted to surround Kyrie with another shot creator. Something Beal just isn't.
    How can I contribute to that red bar under your name?

He did all of that against one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

Sorry but he's a off-ball SG that can not create consistently off the bounce. I have no issue with players like that but that is NOT the type of player you draft #3 overall and don't regret it in five years.
    I'm sorry I don't know what to say but that is just IGNORANT.

The wizards #1 need this off season was shooters and Beal fits that need perfectly.

First off he is excellent at moving off the ball. It gets him open in the flow of the offense which is how you generally win basketball games and score efficiently. He's got a classic stroke. He's 19 with a slick two dribble pull-up move that tells me that he can be a go-to scorer in a few years once he matures. He's been absolutely on fire in 2013 (even if you include the games he played with an injured shooting wrist) as the best scoring option in the wizards offense.

I don't understand why you'd hate on taking an off-ball player so high. Too many dribblers spoil the offense

Picking Beal at #3 might be the real choice Ernie Grunfeld hasn't botched
    Last edited by ralph_i_el; 02-26-2013 at 11:02 AM.

LOL at the poster trying to argue Wall>>>Kyrie. There isn't one GM that would take Wall over him.
    What poster said that? I said that he wasn't light years better than Wall and that in many areas Wall is actually the superior player. The elite scoring potential of Irving gives him the edge though. My point was that Wall brings a lot to the table that people are overlooking. It's not a coincidence that the Wizards are playing so much better offensively and defensively with Wall in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    How can I contribute to that red bar under your name?

OMG!!! please don't neg me!!!!

OMG!!! please don't neg me!!!!

seriously tho, how do you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by alexthegr8
    What poster said that? I said that he wasn't light years better than Wall and that in many areas Wall is actually the superior player. The elite scoring potential of Irving gives him the edge though. My point was that Wall brings a lot to the table that people are overlooking. It's not a coincidence that the Wizards are playing so much better offensively and defensively with Wall in the lineup.
    exactly. Nobody is contesting the fact that Kyrie is a star but that doesn't take away from all the things Wall does that help win basketball games.

Before Wall came back just about every possession the wiz looked scared and confused (and yes I was probably the only person watching their first 30 games). Now guys can play their role because they understand that John will create opportunities for them. Plus he's a stud on D and a basket stopped is a basket earned

Serious playground baller toneloc103's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    exactly. Nobody is contesting the fact that Kyrie is a star but that doesn't take away from all the things Wall does that help win basketball games.

Before Wall came back just about every possession the wiz looked scared and confused (and yes I was probably the only person watching their first 30 games). Now guys can play their role because they understand that John will create opportunities for them. Plus he's a stud on D and a basket stopped is a basket earned
    Not if you cant put that basket stopped in the hoop. Wall is an athelete in a pg body. He doesnt make good decsions, and he cannot shoot the jumper. There are a lot of decent defenders, but what Wall does isnt unique. Please tell me one team that would eather have Wall than Kyrie..

If you were starting a team would YOU want Wall or Kyrie?

Another 20 point game for Beal. This month he is averaging 17.7/5 shooting 48% from the field, 50% from 3.

There is no way to score that well on the worst offensive team in the league without being able to create your own shot.

No Kyrie tonight so we shall see what Waiters can do