Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sunshine State

Default Re: what's your favorite NBA move to imitate when you play?

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    Hahaha and after the game you sneak up behind them like bosh?
    It's my go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Proctor
    I actually like playing with dudes who have a quick trigger behind the line. I'm perfectly happy passing and setting a quick screen as long as the guy is going to make a decisive move with the ball. I'm not working to get someone open if they're just going to ISO for 10 seconds and let the D reset. Shoot, pass, or drive....but do it within 3 seconds please

NBA Superstar

Back in the late 90's, I developed the perception of how I thought Grant Hill and Latrell Sprewell attacked in the open floor and have also mimicked that in my game ever since as well.

I used to be weak on the left side of the floor in fast break situations, knowing I jumped much worse off my right (weak) foot, leading to significantly weaker left hand attempts. So after seeing enough Spree and Hill, I noticed they often seemed to charge up, sprint like hell, and square the retreating defense head on, not afraid to keep the ball in their strong hand (and jump off their strong foot).

So, I guess that's one of my basic go-to tenets as well. In the open floor, I'll square and attack defenders as a means of cutting down their space, then I'll move to where I see fit, using my strong hand and jumping leg whenever I can.

Kind of a lame, dated example of how I'd go straight at the defender, then not - pre Euro-Rake:

I'm a good ball handler and passer but I am unnecessarily fancy with the ball. My favorite moves are probably the Shamgod and when I'm on the break I love to use the fake behind the back pass/dribble ala Baron Davis. Ya'll should know what I'm talking about, if not I'll find a vid/gif later but I broke so many fools with that move and it's guaranteed to get ooh's and ahh's from anyone watching. Which is music to my ears.

Hesitations and step back jumper. I was gonna name myself step back on here but somebody else has that name.

I wanna get the Shammgod down, shits nasty

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by MP.Trey
    I'm a good ball handler and passer but I am unnecessarily fancy with the ball. My favorite moves are probably the Shamgod and when I'm on the break I love to use the fake behind the back pass/dribble ala Baron Davis. Ya'll should know what I'm talking about, if not I'll find a vid/gif later but I broke so many fools with that move and it's guaranteed to get ooh's and ahh's from anyone watching. Which is music to my ears.
    Both of those have been works in progress for me for the past couple of years. I'll get motivated to go hard and develop them, then often wonder if the payoff was worth it (they seem awfully situational for me, with other established options seemingly already doing the trick).

My Shammgod is okay but nothing to write home about. I still haven't found the right way to consistently pull off a convincing Baron behind-the-back. Too often it just looks like I'm completing a behind-the-back dribble, as opposed to it looking like a fake behind-the-back pass to oneself.

I've surmised that the best idea with the Davis move is to wrap the ball all the way back to the initial hand, yes? So, whereas a behind-the-back dribble would be a right-handed bounce to the left hand, the Baron would be a right-handed wrap bounce back to the front right side of the body, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Both of those have been works in progress for me for the past couple of years. I'll get motivated to go hard and develop them, then often wonder if the payoff was worth it (they seem awfully situational for me, with other established options seemingly already doing the trick).

My Shammgod is okay but nothing to write home about. I still haven't found the right way to consistently pull off a convincing Baron behind-the-back. Too often it just looks like I'm completing a behind-the-back dribble, as opposed to it looking like a fake behind-the-back pass to oneself.

I've surmised that the best idea with the Davis move is to wrap the ball all the way back to the initial hand, yes? So, whereas a behind-the-back dribble would be a right-handed bounce to the left hand, the Baron would be a right-handed wrap bounce back to the front right side of the body, right?
    Yes you got it exactly. I used to like to do the Rondo type fake where you stop your dribble but I realized my hands aren't large enough to properly use it and I ended up losing he ball or getting stripped. I have the dribble move down pat though, my long arms help create the illusion a bit but you've got the basics and technically it's probably a carry but I've used it since High School and have never seen it called as such.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by MP.Trey
    Yes you got it exactly. I used to like to do the Rondo type fake where you stop your dribble but I realized my hands aren't large enough to properly use it and I ended up losing he ball or getting stripped. I have the dribble move down pat though, my long arms help create the illusion a bit but you've got the basics and technically it's probably a carry but I've used it since High School and have never seen it called as such.
    Good stuff. At least I'm on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by iznogood

I do this same move very often as well and I find it to be pretty effective as long as I'm not trying to pull it off too quick. I actually find out most of my dribble moves work better when I do it I bit slower then I could and give the defender some time to react to the first fake.
    I'm kind of the opposite. That's one of the few moves that automatically makes me get my dribble really low and allows me to super-explode. It's kind of a spasmic reaction. Really quick shimmy shake with the in-and-out to cross. We all probably have our pet moves that are most likely to evoke an impressive response from others. That would be mine.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 11-19-2014 at 01:13 PM.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

NBA Legend

My go-to move is the Reggie Evans testicle squeeze. I use it on offense and on defense, and also in the locker room after the game.

nick young celebration on a miss

The Olajuwon, MJ, Kobe, KG dream shake fade aways. It's a thing of beauty. Unfortunately I'm only 5'9, can barely post up on anyone

I'll have to go with a Reggie/Ray Allen coming off a screen and hitting a game winning 3

I rule the local playground

The Durant rip-through move.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    The Olajuwon, MJ, Kobe, KG dream shake fade aways. It's a thing of beauty. Unfortunately I'm only 5'9, can barely post up on anyone

I'll have to go with a Reggie/Ray Allen coming off a screen and hitting a game winning 3
    I tried the same last night and got blocked 6 times by a guy whose also my height

In the low post, Kareem

In the mid and high post, Hakeem

On the wing, Kobe

At the top of the key, Magic