Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What if Duncan would have played with Hakeem instead of Robinson?

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    Considering Duncan also won championships with Rasho Nesterovic, Nazr Mohammed, Fabricio Oberto, and Francisco Elson at center.... I think he'd do fine with late Hakeem.

I agree. As long as Duncan has decent big man help, the Spurs contend. When they had the twin turds (Bonner and Blair), those are the dark days of the Duncan era - really no hope at all.

OT - Robinson doesn't get nearly enough credit for the 99 title. Duncan was the primary low post option (though he wasn't as efficient a scorer as he was during his prime), but the Admiral was SA's best defender from watching at the time (given, that's one of the Finals series I haven't rewatched in a while). RAPM backs this up.

Hakeem was better than Robinson at their respect peaks and in their primes in general (offensively, defensively, and overall), but Robinson was a couple of years younger in 98 and 99. I don't think 98 Hakeem will bring them the ship, but in 99 they might still win (and Hakeem was basically done after that).

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    Old or not, both Avery and Elliott hit some big shots late in their career and they were experienced and hungry to win. Avery hit that huge game winning shot in the Finals, Elliott was great against the Blazers.

That whole 99 team was full of veterans, and it worked to the Nth degree. Mario Elie was basically their Bowen, tough defender and clutch shooter. And Duncan came into the league a relatively polished product.

The point is this, though, Duncan didn't need an All Star center or even a fringe all star next to him to be successful, as evidenced by his long career of success. Is the situation perfectly parallel, no, but I think Spurs would be just fine with an older Hakeem.
    That is fair.

Learning to shoot layups

these "what ifs" threads sre worthless