Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    High School Starter

Default Re: LeBron vs. Messi

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsmasher
    You just can't compare defensive and offensive positions in football, even with offensive defenders.

People want to see goals. Forwards score goals, defenders for the most part don't.

That is why there the last goalkeeper to win GB is Lev Yashin. That is why a defender wins GB about once in ten years. That's why on that pool list of yours there war only one defensive player.

Football is a game based on defense. That's why 1-0 is the most regular football score. But people ignore that, because they want to see offense and so they ignore defensive players, because defensive play and work is not eye appealing.

That is also why Jordan is the GOAT and not Russell. If Russell was known for his offense instead of his defense and won all those titles with his offense, nobody would say a thing against him being the GOAT.
    To some extent I agree. However, it's similar to basketball. One great player can't change a defense, but one great player can change an offense (although it is more extreme in basketball). If Chelsea could swap Torres for messi or ronaldo last season they were probably the best team in Europe. But if psg (a great attacking but poor defensive team) swapped van der wiel for Lahm it probably wouldn't have made them radically better. Great attackers make a bigger difference.

I actually played right back as a semi pro in my teens and I obviously never got enough credit. ;)
    Last edited by Unbiased_one; 08-04-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Kobe= 1st round loser secund2nun's Avatar

Lebron is better, but Messi is more popular world wide because soccer is more popular.

Local High School Star SpanishACB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unbiased_one
    I think you'd be surprised. Ronaldo played for Madrid and united the two biggest clubs in the world.
    I live in Spain. I understand things take a while to get there when it gets to soccer but there's no excuse when it's your country giving out these kind of awards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrN3drOTA5A

Barcelona has surpassed those two teams in recent years in popularity and this has clearly helped Messi. Either wait, there's no contest.

I mean, the real Ronaldo is probably more famous himself in southamerica than this current cheap copy that is Cristiano.

Local High School Star fragokota's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deja vu
    You're confusing "athlete" and "athletic"

lol soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerOO
    lol soccer.

problem?

I would say LeBron is more athletic, but Messi is obviously the more popular player considering soccer is the biggest sport in the world.

Local High School Star fragokota's Avatar

Puskas, Di Steffano, Pele, Eusebio, Beckenbauer, Best, Cruyff, Maradona, Platini, Zidane, Ronaldo(the brazilian) are probably the only players in football history that can be called Legends of the sport.

Messi is already ahead most of them and theoretically hasn't reached his peak yet as he is only 26....So to answer your question, no matter how good Lebron is, Messi is the better player at his sport and of course the most popular of the two worlwide

7/11/14 We Witness NattyPButter's Avatar

Majority of americans dont even know who Messi is.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by SpanishACB
    I live in Spain. I understand things take a while to get there when it gets to soccer but there's no excuse when it's your country giving out these kind of awards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrN3drOTA5A

Barcelona has surpassed those two teams in recent years in popularity and this has clearly helped Messi. Either wait, there's no contest.

I mean, the real Ronaldo is probably more famous himself in southamerica than this current cheap copy that is Cristiano.
    I think it's close, but if you go by things like Facebook and twitter Ronaldo is more popular. Messi is definitely the better player though.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by fragokota
    Puskas, Di Steffano, Pele, Eusebio, Beckenbauer, Best, Cruyff, Maradona, Platini, Zidane, Ronaldo(the brazilian) are probably the only players in football history that can be called Legends of the sport.

Messi is already ahead most of them and theoretically hasn't reached his peak yet as he is only 26....So to answer your question, no matter how good Lebron is, Messi is the better player at his sport and of course the most popular of the two worlwide
    Messi will never put up the kind of numbers he put up last year. Opposing teams are just too scared of him. He's kind of like prime shaq in the respect (probably the only way he's like shaq).

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

In their respective sports Messi is better
    Lebron is the better athlete(athletic ability)
    Messi is more popular worldwide

Local High School Star SpurrDurr's Avatar

Messi will prolly go down as the GOAT soccer player. Lebron will never be the GOAT basketball player.

Lebron is way more gifted as athlete but Messi is more skilled.

Quote Originally Posted by SpanishACB

problem?
    Kobe Bryant liking soccer is supposed to change my opinion? Yea....Right...

Quote Originally Posted by TylerOO
    Kobe Bryant liking soccer is supposed to change my opinion? Yea....Right...
    I was more like hoping it would lure you the **** away from a thread that doesn't interest you but I guess common sense is too much to expect from someone like you.