Default An indie trend of old school tactical RPGs

So there's been a bunch of old school indie projects lately that play in the style of the old Fallout games.

Divinity:Original Sin
    Wasteland 2
    Shadowrun Returns
    Banner Saga (different but style turn based fighting system)

The first two are early access, but Divinity is already very polished. Amazing game.

Between this revival and the upcoming kickstarter projects like Pillars of Eternity, the new Torment and Project Phoenix, it's never been a better time to be a fan of classical rpg games.

Very impressed by these indie developers and thankful for a platform like kickstarter. I would definitely recommend Banner Saga, which is beautifully drawn and orchestrated, albeit having a short campaign. And Divinity seems amazing so far, even in alpha, and it's co-op mode is something ive always wished for with these types of games.

Default Re: An indie trend of old school tactical RPGs

Looking forward to see how Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland and Torment turn out, don't know much about the others.

So far, Wasteland and Divinity have been excellent. Cant wait for pillars of eternity, and also what this success means for the genre in the near future.

Banned

I'm looking forward to pillars of eternity the most.

What was divinity like?

I played wasteland 2, really enjoyed it and really had an old school feel while not feeling clunky or dated at all (which some throwback games can do).

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I've been playing the hell out of Wasteland 2 the last week. Other than playing my 3DS occasionally, I haven't touched any other game.

For anyone that loved Fallout 2, Wasteland 2 is basically a modern version of Fallout 2. I've been waiting for this type of game for a long time. It's not the most polished game (for now) but the core gameplay experience and the world you explore are fantastic. It's looking like this will be a game I sink 40+ hours into and will enjoy every moment of it.

I liked Shadowrun Returns but the the story was far too linear and the combat wasn't deep. The presentation and world were great but I feel like they just didn't do enough with it. I haven't played the 2nd one yet though.

I kickstarted both Pillar of Eternity and the new Torment game that's coming out as well. Much like Wasteland 2 is to Fallout 2, I hope those games give me a modern version of the old D&D games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    I've been playing the hell out of Wasteland 2 the last week. Other than playing my 3DS occasionally, I haven't touched any other game.

For anyone that loved Fallout 2, Wasteland 2 is basically a modern version of Fallout 2. I've been waiting for this type of game for a long time. It's not the most polished game (for now) but the core gameplay experience and the world you explore are fantastic. It's looking like this will be a game I sink 40+ hours into and will enjoy every moment of it.

I liked Shadowrun Returns but the the story was far too linear and the combat wasn't deep. The presentation and world were great but I feel like they just didn't do enough with it. I haven't played the 2nd one yet though.

I kickstarted both Pillar of Eternity and the new Torment game that's coming out as well. Much like Wasteland 2 is to Fallout 2, I hope those games give me a modern version of the old D&D games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment).
    I found wasteland 2 felt a lot like baldurs gate 2 for me which is probably my favourite game of all time.

Icewind dale is actually getting an enhance version released soon too to go with the baldurs gate enhanced editions.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Baldur's Gate 2 (along with Fallout 2 and Planescape Torment) is one of the very few story-based games that I actually go back and replay every couple of years. Even the now dated graphics look fine to me due to the art-style. It's easily one of the best games I've ever played. My next round with it will be that Enhanced Edition since I haven't tried that yet. I played fully modded versions of it before.

It's why I really hope these new games succeed. From what I've read, it seems like Divinity has been doing well.