Banned

Default Playing in the post, back to the basket as a PG

Is there anybody else who is undesized but love to do things big guys do, usually it's the other way around.

I am 5'10'' but i usually get a plenty of rebounds just by boxing out and hustle. Usually players my size are great shooters because you need to have that in order to be a treat with that size but i am such a bad shooter from outside that i shoot like 1-2 of them per game and only if i am completely open instead i get most of my points from midrange, floaters, layups, people also admire my post up game. I always loved watching big guys like hakeem duncan etc and tried to copy that so i can score hooks over bigger people with ease, can do spins, up and unders, fadeaways, i don't get many points cause i really love to pass, but this is the way i get them.

My stats would be like 10-12 points 5-7 rebounds 5-6 assists and around 2 steals, people really respect my defense and everywhere i've played i always guarded the best opposite player but really has unconsistent shoot from outside, tried to work on it but never managed to become a successful shooter from downtown.

So i wanted to ask, am i the only one ?

Default Re: Playing in the post, back to the basket as a PG

Quote Originally Posted by tragicbronson
    Is there anybody else who is undesized but love to do things big guys do, usually it's the other way around.

I am 5'10'' but i usually get a plenty of rebounds just by boxing out and hustle. Usually players my size are great shooters because you need to have that in order to be a treat with that size but i am such a bad shooter from outside that i shoot like 1-2 of them per game and only if i am completely open instead i get most of my points from midrange, floaters, layups, people also admire my post up game. I always loved watching big guys like hakeem duncan etc and tried to copy that so i can score hooks over bigger people with ease, can do spins, up and unders, fadeaways, i don't get many points cause i really love to pass, but this is the way i get them.

My stats would be like 10-12 points 5-7 rebounds 5-6 assists and around 2 steals, people really respect my defense and everywhere i've played i always guarded the best opposite player but really has unconsistent shoot from outside, tried to work on it but never managed to become a successful shooter from downtown.

Do you have any videos of you playing Basketball??

I am 5'10'' but i usually get a plenty of rebounds

That feel when a guy taller than you calls himself undersized

Saw a basketball once

I'm 6'0 and play mostly in the post, I find length bothers me way more than girth since I'm a pretty avid powerlifter. I too cannot hit 3's to save my life(will get hot from outside once every 5 or 10 games), so I usually stay in the medium to low block. If the guy guarding me is huge I just stick to driving to the basket as my left isn't as strong in the post as my right hand finishes and watching guys like Zbo you gotta be strong with both hands to make multiple post moves work against bigger guys.

Decent playground baller

im around your height.

i grew up really quick at a younger age, and was taller than a lot of kids.

in jr high and freshman ball, i played the 3 and posted up a lot.

i still high post in pick up games sometimes, but i like shifting and playing triple threat facing the basket more.

usually if some random is guarding me and i post, i just rip quick to the outside and wrap around his waist as I blow by.

rarely do i try to turn the shoulder and fade, unless i absolutely have to (late game situation with the game on the line and everyone else is bricking, AND if my guy knows how to play defense).

My post-game nice.

Nothing better than banging with people. Most dudes won't see me in the post in a pick up game unless they know me, so... I don't really do all that. But it's good to bang. If I'm playing 1v1 I'm taking someone in the post every time and beasting them. The only people I can't post are people who are like 6'4+ and lanky. They always get their hands on my shots. If I can get it up, it's going in. That's my philosophy for posting, floating, whatever. I'm the master of shots that people think are trash but go in.

-Smak

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I was a 6' 190 to 220 lb PG through HS and college, and got myself off on the post pretty regularly. Especially the mid post where it was face and a bounce to the hoops. And I was a good passer out of there too. I was good enough at it that my coaches would usually run stuff for me there too, especially in HS (in college I wasn't good enough to have things run for me). Usually it was just enough to force the defense to account for it, so a couple plays in a row if a team went small against me.

Watch Prime Chauncey Billups on youtube.

rank sentamentalist

we got the same game bro. footwork around the bucket, using shoulders and elbows to supplement position, baby hooks and up and unders and the rest. so much more fun! and it's better than being reggie miller because if you have a strong center of gravity, you can still be lazy as fk

you got a midrange game?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    we got the same game bro. footwork around the bucket, using shoulders and elbows to supplement position, baby hooks and up and unders and the rest. so much more fun! and it's better than being reggie miller because if you have a strong center of gravity, you can still be lazy as fk

you got a midrange game?
    A really good one, atleast people say so, it's amazing how easily i score from midrange but i am not really skilled nor interested in shooting from the 3 point line. But midrange game is where i excel, usually i just wait for a big guy to set me a pick so that i get a bit of space and that's just enough for me to score, i can also pull up, score after dribbling, stop and pop, and people bite my pump fakes so much that it sometimes surprise me, so i just get into their body and draw a foul or just use it to get more space to get an open shot.

rank sentamentalist

A really good one, atleast people say so, it's amazing how easily i score from midrange but i am not really skilled nor interested in shooting from the 3 point line. But midrange game is where i excel, usually i just wait for a big guy to set me a pick so that i get a bit of space and that's just enough for me to score, i can also pull up, score after dribbling, stop and pop, and people bite my pump fakes so much that it sometimes surprise me, so i just get into their body and draw a foul or just use it to get more space to get an open shot.
    that's nice. i wish i had a better pull up in the paint. my preference is just a jab step, one dribble, spin, baby hook or something like that. or i kick it out since i don't trust myself with the ball. still gotta pound that offensive glass though, nothing more rewarding than an extra possession for your team.

do you draw those fouls in scrimmage games or just in real competitions? that should would kill me to see a guy pump fake and launch in a first to seven type game

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

There's a dude I used to play with who used to play for his high school team back in California. He's only 5'9'' but was way stronger than he looked. He often posted you up, shot over you or did a dribble/crossover fake and blow by you. By far one of the hardest people I had to guard in college (all recreational, never played intramural either). He usually scored on me 70% of the time I defended him and I often fouled him too but he usually let it slide and said "it's all good, it wasn't a hard foul."

Very good NBA starter

I like driving to the basket way more and I am good at it, but would like to be better at playing the post because my knees are getting a bit wonky.

I've begun practising the MJ shake, fadeaway and then hitting a bank shot from diagonal position on the key.

I don't think most post moves are usefull for 'normal height' players. A hook shot is shit if you're 6 feet, better to practise the floater.

One move I like to practise is back to basket to thripple threat position. What do you call that? Receive the ball with back to basket (jumping to get free pivot foot choice), then moving back and facing basket?