Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Default Perfect example why Curry is NOT the best shooter ever.

Last night he was called for traveling with like 10 seconds left with the score tied.

https://twitter.com/gifdsports/statu...76690663936001

clip of the travel ^^^^^

If Steph was truly the GOAT shooter, he would not have felt the need to get outside of the 3pt line to feel more confident about the shot. Dirk, Bird or even KD wouldn't have felt the need to do so cause they're comfortable and confident from anywhere on the floor.

Curry almost lost the game cause he passed up a mid-range and felt the need to take a 3PA instead with the score tied. Lucky for him CJ missed his shot and went to OT.

Glad we can finally put the "Curry GOAT shooter" non-sense to rest.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: Perfect example why Curry is NOT the best shooter ever.

Damn, times are looking dark for Cavs fans

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    Last night he was called for traveling with like 10 seconds left with the score tied.

https://twitter.com/gifdsports/statu...76690663936001

clip of the travel ^^^^^

If Steph was truly the GOAT shooter, he would not have felt the need to get outside of the 3pt line to feel more confident about the shot. Dirk, Bird or even KD wouldn't have felt the need to do so cause they're comfortable and confident from anywhere on the floor.

Curry almost lost the game cause he passed up a mid-range and felt the need to take a 3PA instead with the score tied. Lucky for him CJ missed his shot and went to OT.

Glad we can finally put the "Curry GOAT shooter" non-sense to rest.

Comfortable? He stepped back to get an extra point. If there was no line there he wouldn't have stepped back.

Duh

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    Comfortable? He stepped back to get an extra point. If there was no line there he wouldn't have stepped back.

Duh
    There was no need to step back.

When it's tied, you have possession, you're wide TF open and there's 10 seconds left, you look for the lead..... not the extra point.

Duh

There was no need to step back.

When it's tied, you have possession, you're wide TF open and there's 10 seconds left, you look for the lead..... not the extra point.

Duh

So do you think he would have stepped back if there was no line there?

It is just a habit, trying to get an extra point for a similar shot. A 3 point lead is better than a 2 point lead when the opponent will get the ball back. If it was a buzzer beater then there would be no reason to step back.

For his career Curry shoots high 40s from midrange and 43% from 3. It just makes sense to step back when he is close.

I have seen guys step back a lot more than that. Saying that he is stepping back to be more confident is idiotic. He shoots a higher percentage from midrange than he does from 3.

He isn't more confident in making the shot. He understands grade school math.

Local High School Star

To me that's just a reflection of how much analytics have ruined the overall quality and the overall variety of the game in the last 10+ years. Why take a 3 in a tied game when you have an open 20 footer?!?! In the modern game that type of stupidity is tolerated and frankly encouraged, that's why one of the DUMBEST players of all time in Russell Wesbrick can win an MVP and average a triple double for 3 straight years in this era.

The best shot in basketball for the longest time was an OPEN SHOT, it didn't matter where inside the 3 point line it came from, if it was 5, 8, 10, 15, 18 or 20 feet, if it was open you took it. That's what made the offenses of the 80's and early 90's so great to watch, they were fluid, quick hitting and players took the shoots within their range of ability that defense gave them, they were not forcing 25+ footers (a shot that is still goes in only 36% of the time) because some math geek in MTI is telling them to. The feel for the game was king!

In today's league it doesn't matter if you get an open 15/18 footer with 18 seconds left on the shot clock, the analytics have forced these guys to give up that shot and waste another 10 to 15 seconds and at the end shoot a contested 25 foot brick!!! It's become HORRIBLE to witness.

I can't knock Steph too much because he's an all time great shooter and the 3 pointer is what made him but the problem lies with the vast amount of players thinking they have the ability to take the same shots as Steph and be equally as successful when should NEVER venture beyond 18 feet!

Just wait a couple of years when teams are jacking up 40/50+ 3's a game and see if it's still entertaining.

So do you think he would have stepped back if there was no line there?

It is just a habit, trying to get an extra point for a similar shot. A 3 point lead is better than a 2 point lead when the opponent will get the ball back. If it was a buzzer beater then there would be no reason to step back.

For his career Curry shoots high 40s from midrange and 43% from 3. It just makes sense to step back when he is close.

I have seen guys step back a lot more than that. Saying that he is stepping back to be more confident is idiotic. He shoots a higher percentage from midrange than he does from 3.

He isn't more confident in making the shot. He understands grade school math.
    For his career, only 7% of his FGA are from mid-range compared to 48% are 3PA. Grade school math suggests that he doesn't shoot enough mid-range shots to even say how good of a true mid-range shooter he is.

Dude fvcked up and almost lost the game cause he's more comfortable shooting the 3 than the mid-range.

For his career, only 7% of his FGA are from mid-range compared to 48% are 3PA. Grade school math suggests that he doesn't shoot enough mid-range shots to even say how good of a true mid-range shooter he is.

Dude fvcked up and almost lost the game cause he's more comfortable shooting the 3 than the mid-range.

He has taken over 2400 shots from 10-21 feet in his career.

http://bkref.com/tiny/BBHqv

He has taken 1900 from 15-21

http://bkref.com/tiny/Jv3mH

I think I can say pretty confidently he shoots them better than 43%.
    Last edited by tontoz; 05-21-2019 at 11:29 AM.

He has taken over 2400 shots from 10-21 feet in his career.

http://bkref.com/tiny/BBHqv

He has taken 1900 from 15-21

http://bkref.com/tiny/Jv3mH

I think I can say pretty confidently he shoots them better than 43%.
    Since when is anything past 16-17ft considered mid-range???

Short 2's
    Mid-range
    Long 2's
    3pt'ers

Since when is anything past 16-17ft considered mid-range???

Short 2's
    Mid-range
    Long 2's
    3pt'ers

Doesn't matter. 12-17 he makes 48% for his career.

http://bkref.com/tiny/LjgWK

No matter where you put the distances he shoots a higher % than he does from 3.

You get points for trying I guess..

meh, if you actually watch the games what I like about Curry is he doesnt always spam the 3's , like say Harden, if his shot is not going in he either drives to the basket , does midrange shots or sucks in the d and passes out. Actually all the warriors do this. This is why they are able to catchup in those large leads. The only thing I dont like about Curry is those risky behind the back passes he does, and he is somewhat a liability on D, which the team makes up for in team defense.

He's probably better from corner 3 if he gets separation

These guys practice more 3s than mid-range shots (excluding the FT).

Yet you're ignoring the amount of attempts from that range

This year alone, 57 mid-range attempts out 1,340 total FGA

Like I said, the sample size is not nearly enough.

Greatest long range / 3pt shooter...... but not best overall shooter ever

Quote Originally Posted by ErhnamDjinn
    meh, if you actually watch the games what I like about Curry is he doesnt always spam the 3's , like say Harden, if his shot is not going in he either drives to the basket , does midrange shots or sucks in the d and passes out. Actually all the warriors do this. This is why they are able to catchup in those large leads. The only thing I dont like about Curry is those risky behind the back passes he does, and he is somewhat a liability on D, which the team makes up for in team defense.
    I agree, he does drive to the basket, but there are times (not just last night) when you see him clearly pass up open mid-range and pass it off, instead of taking the open 2pt'er