Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: The Spurs were probably the best team in the NBA

I really have no regrets - Clips beat them in game 7 and Paul was FANTASTIC (regardless of the phantom foul on Duncan). If Spurs had taken care of business - either Knicks game or any of the very close regular season games, they wouldn't have gotten Clips in the first round - that's on them. They do need to change the rules though - no reason for Portland to be rewarded for being in a crappy division and the SouthWest division is already punished by playing each other so much.

Spurs never really hit the stride they had last year - no stretches of sheer dominance. I guess that's what happens when you go to 2 straight Finals and run out of steam (and into an even matchup like this was) in the first round. I do feel that with such a close series, Pop was mainly to blame for playing Parker so much instead of Mills and for having Leonard guard Paul so much instead of always Green - might have made the difference.

Banned

I think the Spurs would have had a better chance against the Warriors than the Clippers but it doesn't matter now. Basketball is about matchups and the Spurs were outclassed by the clippers in that regard.

But still, no one knows what will happen in the finals. The Warriors have homecourt all the way through so the only thing they know is that the rest of their games will be played mostly at Oracle. They don't know who they will face in the next two rounds so it will be hard for them to prepare for what's ahead. They could face combination of the Rockets, clips, Hawks, cavs, Bulls, or wizards. So the Warriors will have to fight just as hard, if not harder than every other team left in the playoffs. Everybody else is game planning for the Warriors now with the Spurs out, no doubt the Warriors will be less prepared going into the conference finals and finals. Their only advantage is homecourt advantage.

I usually hit open layups

peak 2014 finals spurs would've been great against warriors, but this wasn't the same team (mentally/physically).

it was pretty evident that in the close-out against the pellies it wasn't their year, and frankly i don't think they would have lasted more than 6 games against gsw.

it'll be interesting if okc can challenge next year-- warriors are rollin through for at least one chip.

Good High School Starter Crimsonrain777's Avatar

there was a commentator that said the point- differential total for the Clippers vs the Spurs when combining all of their games against each other was like 8 points...

that shows this wasn't a fluke, these teams were as evenly matched as they come. Game 7 couldve gone either way tbh

some of you fags need to just stop hating and give credit where its due

Quote Originally Posted by qrich
    Duncan did foul Paul though you idiot.
    There was no contact. Call was that Duncan didn't give Paul room to land after his J. It's an ok call at the beginning of a game, but calling THAT in the closing minute of a Game 7? Like Duncan would actually do something like that on purpose?

Truth is that Spurs should have had the last shot with the game tied, but the refs blew it.

Not to mention the bullshit the Clippers horn guy did (most likely on purpose) when the Spurs started running their play before the ball was inbounded, exposing the alley-oop play, giving Matt Barnes the opportunity to leave his man and go for the interception.

I'm not mad at the result, but the ending of the game was really iffy. Spurs deserved to lose because they let Clips win 2 games in their house.

Good High School Starter Crimsonrain777's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    There was no contact. Call was that Duncan didn't give Paul room to land after his J. It's an ok call at the beginning of a game, but calling THAT in the closing minute of a Game 7? Like Duncan would actually do something like that on purpose?

Truth is that Spurs should have had the last shot with the game tied, but the refs blew it.

Not to mention the bullshit the Clippers horn guy did (most likely on purpose) when the Spurs started running their play before the ball was inbounded, exposing the alley-oop play, giving Matt Barnes the opportunity to leave his man and go for the interception.

I'm not mad at the result, but the ending of the game was really iffy. Spurs deserved to lose because they let Clips win 2 games in their house.

And what if he got injured because Duncan didn't give him room to land, would it still have been a bad foul call?

the point of the foul call is to prevent injuries, the call was accurate

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe

He definitely didn't allow Paul room to land, which is a point of emphasis for the refs this year. Of course they are going to call it on a huge play like that. They also called a foul on Duncan's shot which had minimal contact, so i'd say they were even.

The ref setting the buzzer off early was a bit bizarre though

Local High School Star TheCalmInsanity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kawhi m8
    I'll always admit when a better team beats us, but in this case it didn't happen.

You basically handed the Warriors the trophy, cheers Clipps
    I don't think I've seen a non-salty post from you yet man. You sure you're okay?

I thought the Clippers looked like the better team most of the series. From a talent perspective, the Clippers had the best two players on the court every night, and that was just too much for the Spurs bench and experience to overcome.

As for the best team in the NBA, I thought the 3 best teams headed into the playoffs were the Spurs, Warriors, and Clippers. It just so happens that two of them played each other in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMontana
    They were certainly the only team that had a chance vs Golden State. Now the title is Golden States.

Got unlucky against the Clippers. Most of those games came down to one or two possession differences that could have gone either way. Ex. The terrible foul on Duncan that have Chris PAul free throws for one. Or Chris Paul making miracle bank shots a couple feet behind the line...just one of these things changes and it's over.

This is one of the rare occassions in the NBA where the better team actually lost a series.

The Clippers arn't going anywhere since they relied so much on chance. And now Chris Paul will be sore as well.

To think the best team in the NBA lost in the first round this year.
    What about the foul on Redick when Duncan got blocked by Barnes? What about the 3 free throws they gave Ginobili for the 70 foot heave with 10 seconds still left on the clock?

In the end, it was an epic series. Pretty fairly officiated and came down to 50/50 balls and determination. Can't blame the refs in that series. I'd be saying the same thing if the clippers lost.

By the way, nothing but respect for the Spurs organization, their fans, their coaching staff, and their talent scouts. You can't hate the Spurs (I didn't hate them even when they swept us).

Even when they lose they are respectful. I only wish other teams were like this, it would make the NBA so much better to watch.

If the spurs couldn't close the series in their home floor, then they don't deserve to win the series.

Warriors are clearly the best team in the NBA.

Since the Clips beat the Spurs, Clips are clearly the 2nd.

I'm continually surprised at how simply minded people are when they point to 1 play at the end of one game as if to prove "it was just luck".

NBA games have 200 possessions each. A 7 game series has 1400 possessions... That same "luck" effects every single one. The best team wins a 7 game series.

The "best team in the NBA" doesn't lose in the first round.