Banned

Default Is Wilt Chamberlain finger roll the most unstoppable shot in NBA history?

Think about this gentleman, the fadeaway that is trademarked by Jordan and Kobe is difficult to block per se, but you can contest it really well and it's rate of difficulty is extremely high given the nature of the distance from the basket and the twisting/turning of the flesh.

With Wilt's finger roll thing, that nikka isn't even looking at the basket, so defenders can't jump properly to block, hell even to contest, and he's really close to the basket too so it's a high percentage shot, compared to the fade away. He can release it from his ear, backwards, either hand, nikka doesn't care it's going in.

Of course the firsts posts will be, what about Kareem's sky hook, to those I say, I've seen footage of Kareem's sky hook being blocked by none other than Wilt, and it is not an efficient shot compared to Wilt's finger roll thing given the arc the ball has to take, hence why almost no one uses it in today's NBA.

Default Re: Is Wilt Chamberlain finger roll the most unstoppable shot in NBA history?

Is there film or pics of Wilt's finger roll ever being blocked? Do we have any stats suggesting how efficient it was?

How many other players in history have used that shot? Dr J or Connie Hawkins maybe? Helps to have enormous hands and reach.

cool guy

Default Re: Is Wilt Chamberlain finger roll the most unstoppable shot in NBA history?

Kareem's sky hook >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Dee O Gee
    Kareem's sky hook >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    According to the media and Kareem's longevity. I'd like to have some idea of how often Wilt scored using the finger roll before agreeing.

I grew up hearing how the sky hook was the one unblockable shot, and then what do you know, video surfaced of Wilt blocking it twice in one possession. LOL.

Dunking on everybody in the park

If you don't allow wilt that deep of position in the paint it is impossible for him to go to that, for that reasoning alone I'll still take the Kareem's hook over it, he can shoot that baby from relatively anywhere

Any of Shaq's post moves in his prime were unstoppable one in one

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Sure when you're shooting it over guys a foot shorter than you.
    Jlauber/Lazeruss come at me bro I'm ready,willing and able.

There's footage of the left block finger roll being blocked by Nate Thurmond once and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar once or twice and a photograph of Bill Russell blocking what appears to be that shot. So that one is confirmed "blockable", though obviously it did not happen often. This is the left block finger roll:
    http://youtu.be/_B7jVTJ_CIE?t=20m

There's no footage that I can recall off the top of my head (and I've seen virtually all publicly available footage) of the right block fade away being touched. The right block fade away is the one that he shoots behind him. This is the right block finger roll:
    http://youtu.be/_B7jVTJ_CIE?t=29m25s

Both are shot exclusively right handed by Wilt. They both indeed look awesome, especially the right block variant. From a post-up position they are his primary "to the middle" options meaning one or two steps towards the middle (after baseline is denied). His method to get to the middle is generally a crab dribble or drop step. The identical footwork any big would use to get to the middle, only most bigs historically or present shoot a "hook" variant once they get there. I think Wilt's finger roll is superior to the hook shot in the hands of MOST other bigs. A rare exception would be Kareem and his skyhook. Most bigs don't have the soft touch necessary to make their hook shot superior to Wilt's finger roll. Wilt got so close to the basket it was almost like he was shooting a layup and he got really friendly bounces because of it, where as hook shots are released higher and further from the hoop. Generally speaking, a negative when it comes to accuracy.

NBA rookie of the year

Move must not have worked in the playoffs

The 60s were pretty soft to be honest. I wonder how effective it would have been it they allowed more contact on post offense and defense

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    Is there film or pics of Wilt's finger roll ever being blocked? Do we have any stats suggesting how efficient it was?

How many other players in history have used that shot? Dr J or Connie Hawkins maybe? Helps to have enormous hands and reach.
    Isn't Gervin known for his finger roll?

Banned

Probably because his fingerroll was easy to stop. It was a 70-80% shot if you allowed him to get it off, if you grab his arm prior to his release it becomes a 40% shot(his FT%)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMax
    Move must not have worked in the playoffs

Banned

finger hole

Top 1 Bball Mind.

If he tried it over someone who wasn't a dwarf it would get blocked/stolen. He also has a tendency to bring the ball low when he has it where it is susceptible to being ripped..he would have to change this in the modern NBA.