Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Default Re: Who Were Jordan's Greatest Rivals?

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado
    Except the overzealous Kobe fans aren't the only people that dispute that Jordan is the GOAT.

To some people Jordan being the GOAT is an undisputed scientific fact rather than just an opinion and whenever someone disagrees with the notion that he is the clear GOAT by far and away some MJ fans act like you committed blasphemy.
    LMAO, even Jordan doesn't call himself the GOAT, but most of his peers, media and basketball fans in general give him that distinction. I find the Kobestans (like yourself) funny as hell......you'll sit here posting former players or current players who call Kobe "the best right now" and use that as a declaration of truth when fans of Wade/Lebron disagree, yet when people use those same things to validate Jordan...its hogwash, media propaganda, homerism.....GTFOH!!!!

And yes its only the KObestans, who are trying to elevate their hero.....at least the other guys metioned Wilt and Kareem are worth the arguement

GiveItToBurrito
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh-Roh
    I don't want to hijack G.O.A.T.'s Russell thread, but an interesting point was raised about some of the greatest athletes having to test themselves against formidable rivals.

Here's his statement.

Now, this raises two questions.

1: Do you believe that an athlete must validate himself through beating an elite rival to achieve G.O.A.T. recognition, or at least be in the discussion?

2: Who did Jordan compete against (and beat) that fits that bill?
    1. Yes. MJ doesn't seem like he beat some great rival because he was clearly the best player. Reggie Miller and Payton could give him trouble, but he was clearly better than them. There were other elite perimeter players in his era, Bird and Magic and Dominique in the 80s, Isaiah and Dominique at the turn of the decade, Grant Hill, Penny, and Payton in the mid-90s, but Jordan always won against them so it was hard for a real "rivalry" to form. It's sort of like how the Wizards always played hard against the Cavs, but it wasn't viewed as a rivalry league-wide since Cleveland always won.

2. See above. Payton could occasionally shut him down, but MJ still won so it didn't really matter.

All the Bad Boys Pistons
    Barkley
    Stockton/Malone
    Drexler
    Magic
    Shaq
    Late 80s/early 90s Cavs
    Reggie

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    To be fair, I will use the most recent lists that have been compiled:

Elliot Kalb (2004) Who's Better, Who's Best in Basketball?

1. Shaq
    2. Wilt
    3. Jordan
    4. Russell
    5. Kareem
    6. Bird
    7. Magic
    8. Oscar
    9. Duncan
    10. Cousy
    I saw this in Barnes and Noble last year, opened it up, saw Shaq was #1, closed the book.

3-time NBA All-Star

Now, first of all, let's establish an objective standard. I have no agenda here other than the unceasing search for truth, wherever it might lead.

To be fair, I will use the most recent lists that have been compiled:

Elliot Kalb (2004) Who's Better, Who's Best in Basketball?

1. Shaq
    2. Wilt
    3. Jordan
    4. Russell
    5. Kareem
    6. Bird
    7. Magic
    8. Oscar
    9. Duncan
    10. Cousy
    11. Pettit
    12. West
    13. Baylor
    14. Moses Malone
    15. Dr. J
    16. Hakeem
    17. Karl Malone
    18. Kobe
    19. Mikan
    20. Robinson
    21. Barkley
    22. Barry
    23. Dolph Schayes
    24. Havlicek
    25. Isiah

Simmons (2009) The Book of Basketball

1. Jordan
    2. Russell
    3. Kareem
    4. Magic
    5. Bird
    6. Wilt
    7. Duncan
    8. West
    9. Oscar
    10. Hakeem
    11. Shaq
    12. Moses Malone
    13. Havlicek
    14. Baylor
    15. Kobe
    16. Dr. J
    17. Pettit
    18. Karl Malone
    19. Barkley
    20. LeBron
    21. Cousy
    22. Garnett
    23. Isiah
    24. Pippen
    25. Stockton

SLAM (2009)

1. Jordan
    2. Wilt
    3. Russell
    4. Shaq
    5. Oscar
    6. Magic
    7. Kareem
    8. Duncan
    9. Bird
    10. West
    11. Baylor
    12. Kobe
    13. Hakeem
    14. Pettit
    15. Dr. J
    16. Moses Malone
    17. Havlicek
    18. Karl Malone
    19. Isiah
    20. Barkley
    21. Rick Barry
    22. Stockton
    23. Elvin Hayes
    24. Cousy
    25. David Robinson

These are the most recent GOAT player lists that have been compiled, and these will be referred to in order to determine the consensus.

(cont.)
    Honestly, I really don't get why Oscar, West, Baylor, Pettit are always considered to be on such a higher level then Malone, Barkley, Isiah, Robinson, and maybe even Drexler and Ewing. I feel like those guys get by alot on the fact that they're pioneers, which is fair to a certain extent. I also feel like alot of people, maybe even the experts, don't look at things in full context.

People look at Oscar's triple-double achievements and don't seem to take into account that much of that was a product of the higher pace. Magic, Jordan, Bird, Pippen, Kidd, Hill, or Lebron probably could've done it playing in that pace and especially if they were going for it. Take that into account, and then look at his team success, and there's virtually none until he teamed up with Kareem. Sure, you could say he had to go up against Russell and Wilt's teams, but you can say that about pretty much anyone in any era.

West and Baylor usually get by on the fact that they made it to 8-9 Finals appearances. Nobody takes into account that there were less teams and less rounds so of course it was more likely for a great team to make it to that many finals then it was in later eras. Also, unlike the players in the 90s that I mentioned, these guys were playing with each other. I'm sure if Barkley played on the Spurs with Robinson they would've made it to alot more Finals then they did.

Pettit's main thing on his resume is that he won a title against Russelll. Russell missed two games in those Finals. If Jordan missed two games in a series, there's a good chance Malone, Ewing, Barkley, or Drexler have 1 more title.

So IMO, I don't see why there should be some penalty towards Jordan for this. In fact, the implying that Jordan didn't play against other great players is insane. Jordan played in a span of 20 years. Other great players who's primes came during that time were Magic, Bird, Hakeem, Shaq, and Duncan. Shortly after Jordan retired finally, we've seen the primes of Kobe, Lebron, and Wade. Magic, Bird, Hakeem, Shaq, Duncan, and Kobe are all top 10 players ever, and Lebron and Wade have a pretty good chance at getting there. I know Jordan didn't face all these players that much, but my point is due to the timeframe, its not hard to compare Jordan with all of these other greats, and all of these greats with each other in general. Most people agree that Jordan was better then all of those guys, and they didn't necessarily need to see Jordan face all of those guys in a bunch of playoff series to come to that conclusion.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Baker
    I saw this in Barnes and Noble last year, opened it up, saw Shaq was #1, closed the book.
    I agree. Some of his arguments are really stupid as well. He says that Shaq and Wilt shouldn't be penalized for their poor FT shooting because it was a testament to their greatness that they were still that great anyway. IMO, its complete BS because obviously if they were good FT shooters he and anyone else would think of them as even greater players and rightfully so. He also penalizes Jordan for losing focus+motivation and retiring so much throughout his career, which is stupid as well because production should be all that really matters, not what drove that production, and we all know Jordan is arguably already penalized for retiring because it stopped him for accomplishing even more.

Of course, Bill Simmons' book has its flaws too though. I think its a disgrace that Shaq isn't even in the top 10, and when arguing about Jordan being #1 he goes off on some story that had nothing with basketball.

Both books are interesting, but Simmons' book is still much better and one of my favorites.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Holy Random's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
    ISH is definitely more enjoyable when they're nearly all banned like they are now.

Omg, did Jeff FINALLY ban them? Wow, ISH is going to be tolerable now.

NBA rookie of the year Glide2keva's Avatar

How can you penalize Jordan for his competition? The russell/wilt era is very overrated IMO.

As mentioned Jordan played and beat guys who should be higher on the list than they are. Tue fact that he prevented the cavs, Knicks, jazz, pacers, sixers, suns, blazers, etc. from winning one title during his run is an amazing accomplishment.

I think Russell winning 11 rings in 13 years is awesome, but in reality, they played a different brand of basketball, there were 10 teamsand players were less athletic.

Jordan is tops on my list, but it's still my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Glide2keva
    How can you penalize Jordan for his competition? The russell/wilt era is very overrated IMO.

As mentioned Jordan played and beat guys who should be higher on the list than they are. Tue fact that he prevented the cavs, Knicks, jazz, pacers, sixers, suns, blazers, etc. from winning one title during his run is an amazing accomplishment.

I think Russell winning 11 rings in 13 years is awesome, but in reality, they played a different brand of basketball, there were 10 teamsand players were less athletic.

Jordan is tops on my list, but it's still my opinion.
    The OP clearly has an agenda. Offcourse russell beat the same guys multiple times. There were only around 10 teeams in the league.

And jordan beat plenty of guys that were top 5 at their positions.

Pg magic and stockton
    Sg drexler
    Sf
    Pf barkley,malone
    C shaq

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    The OP clearly has an agenda. Offcourse russell beat the same guys multiple times. There were only around 10 teeams in the league.

And jordan beat plenty of guys that were top 5 at their positions.

Pg magic and stockton
    Sg drexler
    Sf
    Pf barkley,malone
    C shaq

What's my agenda? I have stated...

I completely agree with Bill Simmons having Jordan at #1, Russell #2, but I also believe Russell should always be in the conversation for top dog.

Jordan was the greatest player, Russell was the greatest winner.
    I made the thread because Regul8er brought up a point about rivalries that I initially disagreed with just thinking about the Pistons especially since that was a hump he didn't get over at first, but his point was something I hadn't evaluated all the way and was interesting. That and I didn't want to hijack another good thread to explore it.

Soooooo again, whats this clear agenda I have?

National High School Star

What's my agenda? I have stated...

I made the thread because Regul8er brought up a point about rivalries that I initially disagreed with just thinking about the Pistons especially since that was a hump he didn't get over at first, but his point was something I hadn't evaluated all the way and was interesting. That and I didn't want to hijack another good thread to explore it.

Soooooo again, whats this clear agenda I have?
    The "agenda" of course, would be looking at anything having to do with Jordan critically. One is allowed to do so with other legends of course, but heaven forbid one should happen to do the same with MJ.

The "agenda" of course, would be looking at anything having to do with Jordan critically. One is allowed to do so with other legends of course, but heaven forbid one should happen to do the same with MJ.

I made a thread about exploring it critically, then PM'ed you to participate because I knew you had the most to offer on your side of the debate. You made a very interesting argument I hadn't encountered before and I was very interested in seeing where it would lead me.

Fuck you guys for labeling that as close-minded and subsequently discrediting any facilitating I can do.

That's pretty cheap.

I love Jordan. Do I think I'll ever change his rank in my view? Honestly, probably not, but I'd like to think I can, and at least I'm being honest about it and taking steps to entertain other arguments.

edit - I even repped you for taking part I think...
    Last edited by Ruh-Roh; 09-06-2010 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    People look at Oscar's triple-double achievements and don't seem to take into account that much of that was a product of the higher pace.
    Then explain why nobody else was doing it at that time if it was easier? Nobody of his era came close to those numbers, and there were talented guards like West out there who handled the ball, could pass and score. The fact is, he was doing things nobody else was doing, similar to how Lebron was dominating with close to 30/8/8 numbers which nobody else was able to match. That level of domination is timeless, and there's a reason why people of his day say he deserves to be mentioned alongside Jordan, Magic, and Bird.

Also, they didn't exactly give away assists as liberally as they do today, and they were more strict on the traveling and carrying violations. It takes a very skilled player to do what Oscar did, and not only that, but he helped revolutionize perimeter play with his ability in the midrange with his pump fake jumpshot, and his post play when he bodied up smaller guards.

Magic, Jordan, Bird, Pippen, Kidd, Hill, or Lebron probably could've done it playing in that pace and especially if they were going for it.
    You are proving your own counter-argument, which is that Oscar deserves to be mentioned with those top players, because only the best of the best could have done what he did. He was the Jordan/Bird/Magic/Lebron of his era. And I also doubt that Kidd, Pippen, or Hill would reach 30 PPG a game along with a triple double.

Take that into account, and then look at his team success, and there's virtually none until he teamed up with Kareem.
    And do you know why that is? No, because I doubt you ever looked into it. Many look at the Royals and assume Oscar had empty stats because they didn't win that often. But few have read about the issues of ownership, the team division between Lucas and Oscar, and how Mo Stokes' injury probably cost them a title when they took the Celtics to 7 games. We have seen too many teams with great talent that just had the wrong pieces and bad chemistry to point fingers and say that Oscar was overrated.

Not enough time to finish my reply to the rest of your post...
    Last edited by Showtime; 09-06-2010 at 05:00 PM.

NBA rookie of the year Glide2keva's Avatar

Looking at Jordan critically is fine in my book, but any case for Russell has to take into account for there only being ten teams in the league and that his competition was overrated, given that a lot of his contemporaries awesome dimensional players. Most couldn't dribble with both hands and couldn't shoot, hence the higher, more inflated rebounding numbers.

Some of russell's comp needs to be brought down a few notches given that mostly all of jordan's comp could play in the former's erawhile none of Russell's comp could play in the latter's era. Jordan is being penalized for having to work harder for a title with less talent leading up to his title run, whereas Russell is being rewarded for coming to an already great team. Again there were only ten teams so yeah he would face those greats more often as his probability of facing them is higher. Jordan and magic and bird and Isaiah all faced more competition on a nightly basis than Russell. Plus having to travel, back to back games etc. their title runs to me are more impressive. Russell never had to travel any further west than Minnesota as most teams were in the same coast.

You can interpret this how you want as it is you prerogative, but I feel that magic, bird, zeke, and Jordan shouldn't be penalized for their competition, oh wait. We're not penalizing magic and bird and zeke, just Jordan and you say there's no agenda.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Bird and Barkley: The Best Forwards I Ever Saw