Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Good college starter Kevin_Garnett_5's Avatar

Default Shaq wants to sign with Boston

Veteran free agent center Shaquille O'Neal -- the future Hall of Famer without a team -- has been lobbying the Boston Celtics aggressively, still trying to convince them that his addition would help their quest to win another NBA championship.

He still wants to be The Big Leprechaun.

The Celtics, who lost to the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA Finals in June, are facing the difficult task of holding off both the suddenly star-studded Miami Heat and the improved Orlando Magic in the Eastern Conference to get their rematch in the Finals.

Although O'Neal was unavailable for comment Friday, two sources close to him confirmed his continued interest in the Celtics, even though they currently have no room, or exceptions, under the salary cap to pay him beyond the NBA veteran's minimum of $1.35 million.

The Celtics could pay him more, but only if his former team, the Cleveland Cavaliers, helped with a sign-and-trade deal.

"He only wants to go to a team with a chance to win it all,'' one source said. "That's a short list. Even for the money, he's not going to a non-contender.''
    http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/23/s...celtics-green/

I know most Celtic fans will disagree with me but I would most definitely love to have Shaq on the team.

The Truth

Default Re: Shaq wants to sign with Boston

If he signs for the vet's minimum, i'm all for it. can't have too much frontcourt help, especially come playoff time.

They already have Jermaine O'Neal, and then when Perkin's comes back someone will get way less playing time.

Serious playground baller

yessir, i'm on board

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    They already have Jermaine O'Neal, and then when Perkin's comes back someone will get way less playing time.
    Maybe JO can play the PF, do you think he can? I would love to see Shaq in Boston.

Low risk, possible high reward. If he can give 10-15 solid minutes he can be very effective. I would be all for it if I was a Celtics fan.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by ReturnofJPR
    Maybe JO can play the PF, do you think he can? I would love to see Shaq in Boston.
    jo was a pf for the earlier part of his career

seems like shaq took the whole "never becoming a laker again" to the heart

If he comes cheap, why not? Even ancient Shaq could be decent help from the bench up to 15 mins per game.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurrender
    jo was a pf for the earlier part of his career
    GOOD, then this means Shaq to Boston has some legs to it. Perkins is out for a long time so JO can even start at C and Shaq can back him up til Perk gets back.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ReturnofJPR
    Shaq like T-Mac like Iverson would only be good for teams if they accept a bench role with humility. However i don't know if any of these three are capable of not getting attention and just being one of the guys they have been stars for way too long and they want their piece of the action. They may have a dominant practice here and there and think why am I not playing more and pout, sulk and cause a fuss.

If I was the Celtics I wouldn't do it, when perkins gets back where is shaq going to play?

The problem is, will Shaq be able to come of the bench when Perkins return, will he accept it? His minutes will also be heavily reduced, will he be able to handle that?

Good college starter Kevin_Garnett_5's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warners0
    Shaq like T-Mac like Iverson would only be good for teams if they accept a bench role with humility. However i don't know if any of these three are capable of not getting attention and just being one of the guys they have been stars for way too long and they want their piece of the action. They may have a dominant practice here and there and think why am I not playing more and pout, sulk and cause a fuss.

If I was the Celtics I wouldn't do it, when perkins gets back where is shaq going to play?
    Perk won't be the same when he comes back. His minutes will likely be reduced even if Shaq doesn't come to Boston.

The Truth

if anyone's going to see a big cut in minutes, it's glen davis.

Banned

I think ShaQ will sacrifice it gets him his 5th ring. If he throw the ego outta the door, ShaQ can help the Celtics and Celtics can help him. Perk isn't a probelm, dude won't be back for a while. When he returns his role will be limited for health reason.