Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bill Russell vs Wilt Chamberlain Duel Game 3 of 1964 Finals

Thought I'd share some footage I've never seen before, hope you guys enjoy! Just 3 minutes of footage, but something "new" from this era is always a nice treat

https://youtu.be/1XVkVoBiDzg

Default Re: Bill Russell vs Wilt Chamberlain Duel Game 3 of 1964 Finals

Great stuff. Never expected they'd for once show footage of Wilt's team beating a Russell team (they only showed losses up to now, including the season Wilt won it all). The GOAT was unstoppable that night, going 15/22 FG, without even much dunking and easy lay-ins, as the video shows. Russell still recorded 3 steals and 1 block in these sequences.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

A bunch of old full games were found on the AP site but not yet digitized. They charge 225 per game to do it and send you the file and a youtuber sent the rest of us(basketball video people) a request a while back raising money to get them all digitized. ITs gonna be thousands but they have some crazy rare shit. Prime oscar full games. Prime wilt. Random midseason matchups we didnt even think were recorded. They have it all in a vault and make you buy the whole game. Cant just get clips. This is one of the guys paying to get them done. Expect a good number going forward. I found some I wanna buy myself.

Wil has legit moves but his team cant shoot for shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    A bunch of old full games were found on the AP site but not yet digitized. They charge 225 per game to do it and send you the file and a youtuber sent the rest of us(basketball video people) a request a while back raising money to get them all digitized. ITs gonna be thousands but they have some crazy rare shit. Prime oscar full games. Prime wilt. Random midseason matchups we didnt even think were recorded. They have it all in a vault and make you buy the whole game. Cant just get clips. This is one of the guys paying to get them done. Expect a good number going forward. I found some I wanna buy myself.
    Damn that's great to hear. Which games were you thinking about buying? Considering getting some myself now

Local High School Star

You know, I've honestly never been that impressed with the footage of Russell's defense on Wilt. He actually seems quite passive at times. I know he was giving up a lot of weight but so often it doesn't seem like he contests Wilt's shot much and he often gave him really deep position in the post. I know he was outweighed substantially, but Wilt was really quite a finesse player at times.

Perhaps this was partially strategy, as I've heard it rumored that Russell would sometimes "let" Wilt get points in the first half without very hard defense, and then make him work a lot harder when the game got tight.

Two shots hitting the side of the basket in 3 minutes of clips (one from Russell?) Ouch. Wilt and Russell are great in any era, but the 1960's as a whole? Not so much.
    Last edited by Elosha; 09-22-2019 at 11:35 PM.

5-time NBA All-Star

You see that Wilt had a shooting touch. His bank shot looks to be similar to Tim Duncan's. The irony of Wilt looking to be very modern is a smack to those who contended that he was just bigger than everybody else. I've always contended that after Russell passes the Wilt tapes would be released.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Elosha
    Two shots hitting the side of the basket in 3 minutes of clips (one from Russell?) Ouch. Wilt and Russell are great in any era, but the 1960's as a whole? Not so much.
    The bricks were quite striking to me as well.

I always found it interesting how much of a microscope people have for any errors players from this era make, as if horrible shots dont happen today...https://youtu.be/y1CWRTZgjec

By far my favorite "worse shot ever" was from the 50s though....Mikan went for a hook and it literally rolled and went over his hand rather than going towards the ****ing hoop

Nice duel between those giants.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    You see that Wilt had a shooting touch. His bank shot looks to be similar to Tim Duncan's. The irony of Wilt looking to be very modern is a smack to those who contended that he was just bigger than everybody else. I've always contended that after Russell passes the Wilt tapes would be released.
    Why would they release the Wilt tapes after Russell dies and why not now.

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    I always found it interesting how much of a microscope people have for any errors players from this era make, as if horrible shots dont happen today...https://youtu.be/y1CWRTZgjec

By far my favorite "worse shot ever" was from the 50s though....Mikan went for a hook and it literally rolled and went over his hand rather than going towards the ****ing hoop

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    For real. Even today, bad shots happen more frequently than people remember and bad shots aren't even the biggest problem in modern games. Here's my own favorite:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-MW5tkTWtQ

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    For real. Even today, bad shots happen more frequently than people remember and bad shots aren't even the biggest problem in modern games. Here's my own favorite:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-MW5tkTWtQ

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by coastalmarker99
    Why would they release the Wilt tapes after Russell dies and why not now.
    A loyalty to Russell for playing into the destruction of the myth. Wilt has said things like he used to block three shots to Russell's one. This was one of Wilt's personal kicks to outdo whatever Russell was great at doing - like getting 55 rebounds on Russell. The league not counting blocked shots until Wilt retires as yet another way to deny Wilt's all around greatness.

There was talk that Russell blocked shots and kept them in play. They said this like Wilt didn't: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=splnUR-52jM Wilt was blocking the Kareem's skyhook back to back and keeping it in play. They didn't like Wilt.