Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A year later lets look back at the Dwight Howard trade

Lakers send Andrew Bynum to Philly and Orlando sends J-Rich also (doesn't pan out, he doesn't play a single game).

Dwight, Chris Duhon, and Earl Clark to LA (Dwight and Earl Clark leave in FA)

Orlando received Aaron Afflalo, Al Harrington, Moe Harkless, from Denver, Nikola Vucevic from Philly, and Josh Mcroberts and Eyenga from LA
    Orlando also got a 2nd round pick for 2013 (I think we used it on Osby), a first round pick in 2014 from either Denver or New York, some more picks in 2015 and 2017 + a TE

We conducted a highway robbery

Operat.Northwoods=9/11 Horde of Temujin's Avatar

Default Re: A year later lets look back at the Dwight Howard trade

For real. And people were saying that Orl was the one that was robbed

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Let it be known 0 people thought that was a good trade at the time. This trade is gonna get the Gasol trade treatment where Marc ended up good and no one remembers how lopsided it was.

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Let it be known 0 people thought that was a good trade at the time. This trade is gonna get the Gasol trade treatment where Marc ended up good and no one remembers how lopsided it was.
    Pretty much this. Let's wait to see the Magic make waves in the east before we start swinging our d[COLOR="Black"]i[/COLOR]cks around and pounding our chests.

NBA rookie of the year

The difference is as much as laker fans hate pau gasol right now, and as much as he sucks right now. he put the lakers over the top for 2 championships.

Kobe was more important than Gasol, but without gasol the lakers dont win their last 2 championships.

Dwight did nothing for the lakers.

The difference is, Marc Gasol was an unknown prospect back then, drafted 48th.

Afflalo was pretty good, Vucevic and Harkless was mid 1st round pick. Plus Dwight was gonna leave anyway so any trade would be better than nothing.

Who knew Vucevic would be such a stud?

3-time NBA All-Star

Iguodala went to Denver in the trade as well. Basically 3 All-Stars, Howard, Bynum, and Iggy were moved, and none of the 3 were retained, and the team that got no all-stars seems to have won the trade. That might be a first.

LA really wanted Dwight. No one knew just how horrendous last season was going to be. It was a gamble. Those happen in the NBA. Bynum had a fluke injury-free season and then promptly got re-injured the next season and didn't play a single game. I don't consider this trade to have been "terrible" for the Lakers. I'd rather we had one season to see how Dwight worked out than be stuck with multiple seasons of bullshit between him and Kobe. This trade was much, much worse for Philly and the Nuggets.

Also, I wish the Magic the best of luck for their future, and hope they become more than just a training ground for players before they sign elsewhere.

We traded away Bynum ( who didn't play for an entire season) for Dwight. I don't see any loss in that.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    LA really wanted Dwight. No one knew just how horrendous last season was going to be. It was a gamble. Those happen in the NBA. Bynum had a fluke injury-free season and then promptly got re-injured the next season and didn't play a single game. I don't consider this trade to have been "terrible" for the Lakers. I'd rather we had one season to see how Dwight worked out than be stuck with multiple seasons of bullshit between him and Kobe. This trade was much, much worse for Philly and the Nuggets.

Also, I wish the Magic the best of luck for their future, and hope they become more than just a training ground for players before they sign elsewhere.
    I actually think if Howard was forced to sign an extension before the Lakers decided to trade for him, it would've been easier to make things work. First, they don't fire Mike Brown so early in the season, thinking that if they don't do it so soon it could cost them the season and then cost them Dwight. Second, they don't hire Mike D'Antoni in order to save last season because it benefits Steve Nash the most. There outlook only seemed to be based off that one year, which meant they couldn't be patient. I don't know. I just feel like its not really a good thing when a star player is playing through a "trial period" because those situations seem to be prone to power struggles between teammates, coaches, front office, ownership, etc. I guess in the end, the Lakers still did the right thing (probably still better then having no Andrew Bynum at all).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    Pretty much this. Let's wait to see the Magic make waves in the east before we start swinging our d[COLOR="Black"]i[/COLOR]cks around and pounding our chests.
    Because everyone does that when you start winning....

Banned

that's not true at all, on pretty much all of the magic sites I go to we were happy we shed salary and that Hennigan had the guts to go into full rebuild mode. We didn't expect to have Vucevic be this good but we were quite happy with the trade compared to what else was being rumoured. We hoped Harkless would be a good piece for the future and we thought Afflalo would be an average guy to lead the youngsters. It wasn't an exciting trade but most magic fans were quite pleased with it.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Hindsight bias.

At the time, still a pretty idiotic move by Hennigan. Serendipitous, if you ask me.

I still remember the wiki edit on his page that evening.

On August 9th, 2012, Rob Hennigan officially became the worst GM in the history of profession basketball when he traded Dwight Howard to the Los Angeles Lakers for 2 Diet Cokes and a bag of Lays potato chips.

On August 10th, 2012 his wife divorced him and children also wish to have nothing more to do with such a pathetic excuse of a man.
    lmao

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    It wasn't an exciting trade but most magic fans were quite pleased with it.
    Why wouldn't they be? You raped 3 teams in the process