Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789
    7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Worst MVP in NBA history?

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    I have no problem with this. But I know they didn't hold the elite down like Rose did. And I know they wouldn't be shutting down Wade in the fourth quarter of any playoff series.
    My point is, I just named a bunch of point guards who I believe are better defenders and you didn't take issue with any of those selections. The guy is simply an average defender, imo. And an average defensive point guard isn't the difference between a team being great defensively.

Noah and Boozer had years in general and were exceptionally boneheaded to the point of being counter productive in the playoffs. Boozer never learned the plays and his adlibing was horrendous. Yeah Deng was better than DH's help tho.
    Better than what Dwight had. Nelson is among the worst defensive point guards in the league and among the worst at running an offense. He can shoot.

Turkoglu was also extremely inconsistent and a major disappointment.

Jason Richardson shot a lot of 3s and had some good games, but didn't do much else and was also a disappointment.

Even if you include Carter's 22 games, Howard averaged 8 more ppg than any other Orlando player, if you only include players who played there at least half the season then it's 9 ppg over Richardson/. That's while anchoring the defense.

No way was Rose not more valuable to his teams success than DH. DH's team often played better when he wasn't playing. And Rose's team won a ton more of crucial games than Orlando did. And DH had himself disqualified a couple of times.
    Howard's team was 1-3 without him.

The team had no dominant rebounders period. Rose made it possible for a lot of offensive rebounds by gettting to the rim as often as he did. Rose is directly related to about 3 additional rebounds a game, so 7 boards a game is great for a pointguard: The team gets scrappy rebounds because of the shifts he creates on the defense.
    Part of that is valid(not sure you can put on a number on it, though like 3 per game), but Chicago was still the second best defensive rebounding team in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    Same reason you can't give Shaq MVP in 2001, and 2002 ...

Not when you share the court w/ a fellow top five player.
    Lebron's situation is completely different than Shaq's. First of all, he didn't play as well this season as Shaq did.

But Shaq also didn't have a 6-time all-star as his 3rd option, he didn't have anywhere near as good 3 point shooting around him, and Lebron didn't have a stretch like Shaq did in 2001 where the team excelled in his second best player's absence.

As far as 2002? Shaq didn't not win the award because he played with Kobe. He didn't win the award for 2 reasons. 1 is that he missed 15 games and the other is that Duncan had a monster season. And I agree that he didn't deserve the 2002 MVP for those reasons. He was getting a lot of MVP talk the first 2 months of the season before his injury, though, so it would have been very plausible for him to have been voted MVP that year, but 15 missed games is just too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    To be honest. ShaqAttack just doesn't like small players. That's literally it.
    I'm not sure why you come up with nonsensical theories like this.

It's simple, I don't think that Rose is as good as you do. I've been a fan of many small players. John Starks was one of my favorite players growing up, I liked Kevin Johnson as well, Steve Nash, Chris Paul ect.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    My point is, I just named a bunch of point guards who I believe are better defenders and you didn't take issue with any of those selections. The guy is simply an average defender, imo. And an average defensive point guard isn't the difference between a team being great defensively.
    If Rose was holding down the elite at his position to 30% shooting and Wade to barely scoring in three games, late in the game, what is Rose going to do when he becomes a good or great defender? Maybe holding the elite down to 10%. Holding down Wade was not done before like that by the greatest defenders or whole teams. Who was the player/game that made you think Rose was average? When did that game happen? A couple of games Thibes asked Rose to channel a young player rather than D up on him. And sometimes Rose doesn't D up hard but his player is rarely not contained. The better they are, the more contained they are.

Rose was watched/hated on this board from Feb. 1st on, and believe me, not once was there a post about a guard having a good game on him. Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Nash and Rondo all were handed their heads (shot a collective 1 for 17 from 3 point land over the course of the year). There is nothing average about that.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    also explain these stats.
    D Rose 28.5 points 7 assist against the top 6 teams in the NBA
    Lebron James 25.5 7 assist aginst the top 6 teams in the NBA

stupid watch d rose play a few games before you assume he doesnt deserve MVP.
    And they didn't loose to a top 8 team since Dec. 3rd. Remember this is a young team, sufferring injuries to key players, playing a new system against mega teams, long term teams, experienced teams, healthy teams, dynasties, mature teams and beat all of them, 12 in a row since Dec. 3rd. A true testiment to Rose's leadership, Chicago was the only team of that eight that did not loose control down the stretch by loosing nearly three or more games in a row. Chicago only lost three games over the last two months.

Lakers fans still mad about Nash winning over Kobe. Nash led the Suns to the best record in the league, and by definition he was the "most VALUABLE player" during that time. He MADE that Suns team great. Without him, they would've been mediocre. lol

Same with Kobe, but Kobe didn't lead his team to the best record in the league so that's why he lost.

Quote Originally Posted by wagexslave
    Lakers fans still mad about Nash winning over Kobe. Nash led the Suns to the best record in the league, and by definition he was the "most VALUABLE player" during that time. He MADE that Suns team great. Without him, they would've been mediocre. lol

Same with Kobe, but Kobe didn't lead his team to the best record in the league so that's why he lost.
    That's the most simplistic view of MVP I've ever seen.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wagexslave

Comparing apples and oranges. There is no way Nash's team was anywhere near as bad as the lakers. Nash had prime marion averaging 22 ppg and barbosa coming off the bench scoring double digits like the other 5 starters. Nash averaged 18/10

Lakers that year had Kwame, Smush, odom, Cook and kobe averaged 35/5/5

Quote Originally Posted by purplch0de
    Comparing apples and oranges. There is no way Nash's team was anywhere near as bad as the lakers. Nash had prime marion averaging 22 ppg and barbosa coming off the bench scoring double digits like the other 5 starters. Nash averaged 18/10

Lakers that year had Kwame, Smush, odom, Cook and kobe averaged 35/5/5
    That's fine and dandy, but Kobe lead his team to the best record in the league? No. And that's one of the biggest parts taken into consideration when voting for MVP.

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

My problem with MVP is that it's too subjective. It is not "the best player in the league" and yet it is considered so when people do all-time lists. It's very overrated in terms of personal achievements. People in 40 years will look back and say "well if Shaq was so dominant, why did he only win one MVP? Duncan was clearly better than Shaq because he won 2 MVPs". Is that right? Is it right that for the next year (at least) Derrick Rose will be the MVP of the league, despite being only the 7th or 8th best player in the league? If you could have any one guy on your team for the next 5 years at last year's form, Rose is not the one you'd pick. So how is he "more valuable"?