Default Improve Coordination in left Hand (weak hand)

I was wondering is there specific workouts I can do in order to improve coordination. I need the coordination for dribbling, finishing at the basket with contact, passing the ball and so on.

Good High School Starter Splitz77's Avatar

Default Re: Improve Coordination in left Hand (weak hand)

Dribble alot. Force yourself to dribble with your left hand. What I used to do when I had a weak hand was dribble in the dark. That way even if you look down you cant see the ball. I would suggest working with dribbling more than shooting with your left hand.

Practice doing one handed crossovers with your left hand, dribbling from fast to slow, from low on the ground to high, going between the legs in every direction. Basically just do everything that you do with your right hand with your left.

It will take time, but you will get better if you reaaly want too..

For shooting, Just start close, make sure to practice fundamentals when shooting with your left hand. For example, squaring your feet, making sure the ball is on your finger pads, your arm is a straight L, and your wrist is compeltely back. S

Start close to the basket and as your shot becomes more comfertable start moving back a little bit.

I started working with my left hand a couple years ago, now I can shoot from 3pt. range with both hands and can dribble effectively with both hands. I'm a huge threat to the other team when im on the court because alot of the people I play against, forgot about training their other hand, so I play to their weakness.

Remember that, another player plays to your weakness. In other words, make sure you dont have any weaknesses when your on the court.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Just keep dribbling with your left. As Splitz said, FORCE yourself to do so. Just doning it each practice will get you used to it. I, myself, am not the best of dribblers, but after doing many drills with the left, I feel (and can, sometimes) go to my left to drive to the basket or post up. It just seem much more comfortable right now that it did around 2 years ago. I promise, even just doing crossovers across the whole or even while you're just stationary will greatly improve. Just make sure your crossovers, or any dribbles for that matter, are strong.

For layups/hookshots/etc., just take it slow. Dribble to the basket and take your time to lay it up. Actually, to practice your weak hand on lay-ups, you don't even have to dribble yet. What's important is the feel of your footwork. The dribbling part will come naturally. For hookshots, same as the dribbles. Just practice it until the awkwardness is gone.

to your success.
    Last edited by NotYetGreat; 07-20-2009 at 03:04 AM.

Yea I guess theres no specific workout for this, but ill just do it the old fashioned way and practice a lot on it. My left hand isn't terrible I can dribble with it well and finish layups with it but its just the tough reverse layups with contact and advance dribbling moves. Also I need to concentrate more on footwork because they are the foundation for your success in ball.

try doing suicides and updowns while dribbling left/right. Working from walking while dribbling to jogging + dribbling eventually to sprint dribble (like a fast break) will improve your body control and dribble simultaneously. Dribbling drills of course for improved hand/eye coordination.

Quote Originally Posted by Automajic23
    try doing suicides and updowns while dribbling left/right. Working from walking while dribbling to jogging + dribbling eventually to sprint dribble (like a fast break) will improve your body control and dribble simultaneously. Dribbling drills of course for improved hand/eye coordination.

ok ill try those thanks

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Automajic23
    Damn! Suicides while dribbling?I'm gon' try that too, though. Thanks.