Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Blake Griffin = Poor man's Amare Stoudemire

I believe Griffin will surpass Amar'e in the PF rankings in 1-2 seasons if he's not already, here's why...

Griffin is a better rebounder than Amar'e has ever been in his career. Griffin is as good as a finisher as Amar'e has ever been in his career. Pretty much all of Amar'e's seasons were a great product of Nash, now Griffin has Chris Paul, if Paul stays I'm suspecting multiple 25-10 season for Griffin. Also watching Griffin this season there are times where he looks like a guard breaking down his man 20 feet from the basket. He's got exceptionally good handles that go unnoticed for someone 6'10" and 250 pounds.

a player's rookie season is defined by how long they've been in the league, not by age.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Blake Griffin = Poor man's Amare Atoudemire

Quote Originally Posted by Kobr
    So you think it'd be fair to compare Kobe and Iverson at the age of 21? You don't think their discrepancies in NBA seasons played matters?

You don't see how two players can be the same age, yet one can be a rookie and the other can have 4 seasons under his belt?
    No. You compare them at ages.

Is it fair to compare a rookie who enters the league at 25 to a kid straight from high school at 18? Hell no.

Every year the body develops toward its peak, and each year counts for a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by BGriffin's Dad
    a player's rookie season is defined by how long they've been in the league, not by age.
    It's actually not explicitly defined by the NBA, the way it is in the NFL or MLB. At least I have never found an exact definition.

In MLB they allow for minor leaguers to come up and play a minimum number of appearances without it affecting rookie status. In the NFL, you are rookie as soon as you make a team, whether you play a down or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    No. You compare them at ages.
    What do you mean no? It sounds like you're answering yes to my question. I ask again... do you think it's fair to compare Kobe and Iverson at the age of 21?

What do you mean no? It sounds like you're answering yes to my question. I ask again... do you think it's be fair to compare Kobe and Iverson at the age of 21?
    Yes it is fair to compare them at 21.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Despite Kobe having played multiple NBA seasons and AI being a rookie? See, I disagree.

Despite Kobe having played multiple NBA seasons and AI being a rookie? See, I disagree.
    How can you compare them rookie vs rookie? One played for 2 years at college and the other was straight from high school?

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Obviously you don't realize that the human body develops dependent on age, not years of service in a league.

How can you compare them rookie vs rookie? One played for 2 years at college and the other was straight from high school?
    Players will always have different paths to the NBA. I just consider their first regular season played in the NBA to be the starting point of their professional career, and I compare players according to that.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Obviously you don't realize that the human body develops dependent on age, not years of service in a league.
    Compare the 17 year old body of Lebron to the body of 22 year old Durant. You'll understand genetics a little better. It's stupid to act like all players develop at the same speed and in the same way.

Which is why it's just more stable to compare based on league experience rather than age.

Players will always have different paths to the NBA. I just consider their first regular season played in the NBA to be the starting point of their professional career, and I compare players according to that.
    Yes, that is the starting point of their careers, but that doesn't mean their bodies are developing at different rates.

Kobe started to get good around 21 or 22. It wasn't because of the years he played. It was because his body started to develop, and became NBA ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Compare the 17 year old body of Lebron to the body of 22 year old Durant. You'll understand genetics a little better. It's stupid to act like all players develop at the same speed and in the same way.

Which is why it's just more stable to compare based on league experience rather than age.
    Lebron is a physical freak who is a one of a kind player. No one else really in the history of the sport developed the way he did.

Why do you think he got "Chosen 1" tatted on his back? He is the outlier, not the norm.

Blake Griffin = Poor man's Amare Stoudemire
    Offensive.

Blake Griffin = Underprivileged person's Amar'e Stoudemire