NBA Superstar

Default Forgotten NBA Finals Performance: Ben Wallace's Clincher in 2004 (18pts, 22reb, 3stl)

Full Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfErxaZyo9c

Biased Pistons post coming forth.

Chauncey Billups tends to have his name tied to the excellence of the 2004 NBA Champion Detroit Pistons due to his NBA Finals MVP award. After that, it seems people tend to settle for, "Man, it was just the whole team!" Which was true. However, through it all, I think Ben Wallace's individual NBA Finals performance has become lost in history.

Wallace averaged 11 points and 14 rebounds per game in the NBA Finals, clearly stepping up from his normal level of play. I do not think there was much he could do about stopping Shaquille O'Neal one-on-one (which is how Detroit mostly preferred to play Shaq that series) but outside of that, I feel Wallace could have easily won that Finals MVP award just as well.

18 and 22 in the clincher is magnificent. Big Ben wrapped up that title for Detroit. He grabbed 17 rebounds in the second half alone, 10 of which came during Detroit's key third quarter run. Just a monster, monster showing that I feel may be worth remembering (if for no other reason, he had some really fun highlights that game).

Banned

Default Re: Forgotten NBA Finals Performance: Ben Wallace's Clincher in 2004 (18pts, 22reb, 3stl)

What a monster performance

Who'd be the closest player to prime Ben Wallace in today's NBA? I think Drummond, who also plays for the Pistons, has a similar game. He'll probably end up more like Dwight Howard in his prime, but right now, they're both weak offensively, living off putbacks, but are beasts on the boards and at blocking shots.

Default Re: Forgotten NBA Finals Performance: Ben Wallace's Clincher in 2004 (18pts, 22reb, 3stl)

A first ballot hall of famer.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    What a monster performance

Who'd be the closest player to prime Ben Wallace in today's NBA? I think Drummond, who also plays for the Pistons, has a similar game. He'll probably end up more like Dwight Howard in his prime, but right now, they're both weak offensively, living off putbacks, but are beasts on the boards and at blocking shots.
    I think mixing aspects of Drummond and Kenneth Faried may be closer to doing the trick. Drummond may accumulate similar statistics to Ben Wallace in some regards, but I think he does it differently. Drummond gets a lot of, "My god, he's huge" rebounds, whereas a lot of what Wallace did stemmed from Faried-like energy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I think mixing aspects of Drummond and Kenneth Faried may be closer to doing the trick. Drummond may accumulate similar statistics to Ben Wallace in some regards, but I think he does it differently. Drummond gets a lot of, "My god, he's huge" rebounds, whereas a lot of what Wallace did stemmed from Faried-like energy.
    Yeah, I forgot the length difference between those two Big Ben really was a boss

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Full Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfErxaZyo9c

Biased Pistons post coming forth.

Chauncey Billups tends to have his name tied to the excellence of the 2004 NBA Champion Detroit Pistons due to his NBA Finals MVP award. After that, it seems people tend to settle for, "Man, it was just the whole team!" Which was true. However, through it all, I think Ben Wallace's individual NBA Finals performance has become lost in history.

Wallace averaged 11 points and 14 rebounds per game in the NBA Finals, clearly stepping up from his normal level of play. I do not think there was much he could do about stopping Shaquille O'Neal one-on-one (which is how Detroit mostly preferred to play Shaq that series) but outside of that, I feel Wallace could have easily won that Finals MVP award just as well.

18 and 22 in the clincher is magnificent. Big Ben wrapped up that title for Detroit. He grabbed 17 rebounds in the second half alone, 10 of which came during Detroit's key third quarter run. Just a monster, monster showing that I feel may be worth remembering (if for no other reason, he had some really fun highlights that game).

I don't think some of the younger NBA fans realize how ridiculously talented Wallace was on the defensive end. He makes Dwight look like a chump IMO.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    A first ballot hall of famer.
    No way he gets in the first ballot. Possibly ever. His offense career wise is way too pitiful.

making Shaq look like a chump.

goaltending

Quote Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
    No way he gets in the first ballot. Possibly ever. His offense career wise is way too pitiful.

He had great team success. and one of the best defenders of all time. Rodman made it into the hall of fame, and Wallace was the superior offensive player.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by StephHamann

goaltending
    Yeah, that was pretty well established at the time it happened, in the video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfErxaZyo9c#t=4m8s), and in the name of the gif itself. Still makes for a cool replay.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    He had great team success. and one of the best defenders of all time. Rodman made it into the hall of fame, and Wallace was the superior offensive player.
    I do not believe Ben Wallace was a superior offensive player to Dennis Rodman. However, I also do not subscribe to Rodman's offensive legend (some claim he could have been an efficient 20ppg scorer if he wanted to be, but just chose not to... I disagree). They both didn't have an extensively effective offensive arsenal, but I believe Wallace brought less to the table than Rodman in that regard.

Either way, I believe Wallace deserves Hall of Fame consideration and I think he will. Whether he gets in, I do not know, but his impact on the game was too large for people to dismiss. He'll be the rare guy who'll at least get a look from voters in spite of his offense.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 10-16-2014 at 01:48 PM.

Very good NBA starter

Big Ben was the man. Tough elite rebounder, defender, and shot blocker. 4x DPOY. Detroit wouldn't have made B2B Finals (and won one) without him.

If Dennis Rodman made the hall then Big Ben should to. Maybe they can set up a new wing for great role players lol.

Quote Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
    5x all NBA, 5x all defense, 4x DPOY, 2x rebound champion, and anchored a championship team. Easily first ballot HOFer.