Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Magic Johnson and Larry Bird's overratedness disturbs me..

These two guys are so overrated it's disgusting. Magic Johnson was a big slow 6'9 guy could handle the ball, but that's where his good qualities end. He couldn't shoot, he couldn't guard quick PG'S and had he not played in LA, but instead played for SACRAMENTO (during that time) nobody would be calling him great.

Larry Bird had a great jump shot, but that's where his good qualities end. He was slow, couldn't defend (only reason he could play defense was because they let him hold and play dirty, was the dirtiest player of his day). If he played today he'd be the 11th man on Utah or Indiana's bench.

During the 80s (pre Jordan) the NBA didn't have anybody too promote, so they promoted these 2 players. The NBA is a business and all about marketing.

Default Re: Magic Johnson and Larry Bird's overratedness disturbs me..

ur wrong

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Weak trolling. Too obvious and you had no humor effect.

Decent playground baller Kovach's Avatar

2/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Weak trolling. Too obvious and you had no humor effect.
    It's not a joke. If you knew basketball and you had a mind of your own, you would realize they were overrated. How the hell can you not run yet be a great player in a sport that requires running?

OP is slightly correct, but went WAY overboard. Had he just said, they're a little overrated, I think most people would find that reasonable even if they didn't necessarily agree. To act like they're just chumps with media created greatness is stupid.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

With a brain. But obviously you are deficeint in that department.

Magic couldn't run? He didn't guard pg's generally and became a very capable shooter

The Kings were in Kansas City at the time.

Dr. J wasn't marketable?

It's just political correctness run a muck. There aren't many whites or **** that become NBA stars so they had to overdo it.

Banned

This is a weak era for trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    OP is slightly correct, but went WAY overboard. Had he just said, they're a little overrated, I think most people would find that reasonable even if they didn't necessarily agree. To act like they're just chumps with media created greatness is stupid.
    I'll tell you why their WAY overrated, when people talk about these 2 guys as being the "greatest ever", your wayy out of line. Clyde Drexler was a better player then both of these guys.

I'd rather have Carmelo Anthony on my team over Larry Bird anyday of the week. If Magic Johnson played for the Sac Kings or Golden State warriors and not played in LOS ANGELES, he would be EARVIN JOHNSON and nobody would be calling him great.

Somebody started a topic about a year ago if Lebron James was 'ranked higher then Bird or Johnson yet' and in you all's VERY HUMBLE OPINIONS, most said NO. Lebron James is a 2013 Rolls Royce and Larry Bird and Johnson are fking 1985 Volvo 200's. The kid is playing with WAY MORE cards in his deck then either of these two.

It's players who aren't considered great who are better then both of these guys.
    Last edited by TAZORAC; 04-04-2013 at 01:10 AM.

College superstar

yeah a 19 year rookie playing 4 positions taking his team on the road to win a game, and name MVP of the finals.....Yeah very overrated. How old are u 17?

Quote Originally Posted by TAZORAC
    Larry Bird had a great jump shot, but that's where his good qualities end. He was slow, couldn't defend (only reason he could play defense was because they let him hold and play dirty, was the dirtiest player of his day). If he played today he'd be the 11th man on Utah or Indiana's bench.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Bird definitely would be Indiana's 11th man if he played today. He's 56 with a jello back and all, but he'd still get minutes over Ben Hansbrough and Gerald Green.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

I'll tell you why their WAY overrated, when you talk about these 2 guys as being the "greatest ever", your wayy out of line. Clyde Drexler was a better player then both of these guys.

I'd rather have Carmelo Anthony on my team over Larry Bird anyday of the week.
    Drexler was a great player. Carmelo is just another high scoring forward who would have been lost in a crowd of many in the 80's

If Magic Johnson played for the Sac Kings or Golden State warriors and not played in LOS ANGELES, he would be EARVIN JOHNSON and nobody would be calling him great.
    Pretty sure he was Magic before LA and they were in Kansas City not Sacramento when he cane into the league.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

I'd rather have Carmelo Anthony on my team over Larry Bird anyday of the week.