Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 ... LastLast
    Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Re: Mike D'Antoni hired as new Lakers head coach!

Niko I agree he didn't do what he needed to do in NY. That being said Melo's refusal to lead the team while following direction of Mike was problematic.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Note: Why would we be bitter about MDA? We kicked him out, he didn't leave, he didn't throw rocks on the way out, and we got better after he was gone. And he didn't go to a rival and he's still not bashing us.

Bitter would mean i'd be angry if he does well with the Lakers, i'd laugh hysterically if the Lakers won the title over Miami. Bitter? NO. A bit perplexed at his hiring..yes.
    well, Knicks fans have a tendency to crap all over players and coaches once they become ex Knicks players and coaches--probably to justify letting them go.

Local High School Star TryToBeUnbias's Avatar

One thing is for certain Jimmy sure is fast with his decision making *see mike brown* you'd think they'd take a bit more time with this

Local High School Star Joshumitsu's Avatar

I'm skeptical. The current Lakers are already a good offensive team and D'Antoni will make them slightly better. But they need defense more than anything.

If I were the Lakers, I'd heavily consider hiring Nate McMillan as a second head coach, if not only to replicate the Olympic Squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Niko I agree he didn't do what he needed to do in NY. That being said Melo's refusal to lead the team while following direction of Mike was problematic.
    Mike's direction was stupid. And it wasn't just Melo's effort, everyone's was lagging at that point. He was telling them to do things that did not work.

Mike wanted Melo to stand in the corner and shoot jumpers and play off Lin 100%. Melo is a better player than Lin is. It made no sense. He never once tried to design an offense that took advantage of both of them.

His biggest problem as a coach IMO (if the Knick performance is indicative of everything) is that not only did he not have a plan B, but he had to almost be beaten into considering it.

Good college starter HorryIsMyMVP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Mike's direction was stupid. And it wasn't just Melo's effort, everyone's was lagging at that point. He was telling them to do things that did not work.

Mike wanted Melo to stand in the corner and shoot jumpers and play off Lin 100%. Melo is a better player than Lin is. It made no sense. He never once tried to design an offense that took advantage of both of them.

His biggest problem as a coach IMO (if the Knick performance is indicative of everything) is that not only did he not have a plan B, but he had to almost be beaten into considering it.
    The Knicks looked great before Melo came back and ran the team into the ground. Dantoni made Lin into a decent basketball player. And he got a contract in Houston that he didn't really deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by HorryIsMyMVP
    The Knicks looked great before Melo came back and ran the team into the ground. Dantoni made Lin into a decent basketball player. And he got a contract in Houston that he didn't really deserve.
    They looked as good (if not even better) when Lin and Amare were out and Melo was leading them under Woodson.
    Also look at them now centered around Melo,I know it's only been 4 games but the Knicks haven't been so dominant in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by HorryIsMyMVP
    We looked good for a tiny period of time. The Linsanity wasn't going to work, teams had caught up to him, he couldn't play 45 minutes a game (ask his knee if he could). We need to slow it down a bit, find a way to work Melo in, and slow it down. Which Woodson at least tried to do.

D'Antoni 100% refused to change. Which is fine, he has a team now he can run his plan with 100%. But it wasn't going to work with the Knicks and the personnel we had.

When your coaches plan is "get rid of the players and get me better ones" then he's not that good a coach.

again, read my posts. I'm only down on this hire because i thought Phil made more sense. But his inflexibility, his inattention to defense, everyone knows this. This is not Knick fans making something up.

Did the Lakers really choose Pringles over PJ?

Anyway, perhaps he's changed, maybe everything works out for him this time around. I'd say its his last shot as a head coach.

I'm not counting the Lakers out, too much talent..you never know, maybe he somehow is the missing piece to bringing out the Lakers potential...

I will say this though, Dantoni is arguably the worst coach in the league when it comes to making adjustments such as situational substitutions etc. The guy is STUBBORN.

Hope it works out though, see you guys XMAS day Laker fans...

& got a triple-double BTrujillo's Avatar

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ke...stant-mcmillan

IF D'Antoni brings along McMillan for defense... what do those critical of the D'Antoni hire think of that?

The hiring is now official. Lakers announced it today:

The Los Angeles Lakers have signed Mike D

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by BTrujillo

IF D'Antoni brings along McMillan for defense... what do those critical of the D'Antoni hire think of that?
    Wow, if D'Antoni could pull that off it would be AMAZING......

I read that relations were cold between Phil and Jim Buss.

Bet the ranch that Jim Buss pulled the trigger on D`Antoin before Phil agreed, without consulting Jerry (Daddy).

F*** Jim Buss, spoiled piece of shit

Local High School Star Joshumitsu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BTrujillo

Yeah, I'd advocate this if I were a Laker insider.

Both coaches have extensive knowledge and are familiar with Kobe, Dwight, and Steve Nash.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by DixieNourmous
    I read that relations were cold between Phil and Jim Buss.

Bet the ranch that Jim Buss pulled the trigger on D`Antoin before Phil agreed, without consulting Jerry (Daddy).

F*** Jim Buss, spoiled piece of shit
    Actually from what the dudes on ESPN 710 are saying, is that it was a unanimous decision between Jim, Mitch and Big Daddy Jerry. They wanted D'Antoni from the start.