Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Wilt Chamberlain`s Double Triple-Double

It seems he is the only NBA player to do this in the large history of the league. Im not an expert on the subject or even on the 60s and 70s basketball, but I find really impressive what Wilt did, and also would like the elders and knowledgeble posters of this site to school me more on how he was able to do this, what was the media repercussion after it...etc.

Quote frome Wikipedia:

Wilt Chamberlain is the only player to have accomplished this; in a February 2, 1968 game vs. Detroit Pistons, Chamberlain tallied 25 points, 22 rebounds, and 21 assists.
    25 points, 22 rebounds and 21 assists. That`s f*cking impressive to say the least, best individual performance in the history of the game? Dont know, but its probably close.

Has anyone (besides Wilt) come close to doing this? a double triple-double.

Local High School Star

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain`s Double Triple-Double

Quote Originally Posted by Penny_Hardaway
    It seems he is the only NBA player to do this in the large history of the league. Im not an expert on the subject or even on the 60s and 70s basketball, but I find really impressive what Wilt did, and also would like the elders and knowledgeble posters of this site to school me more on how he was able to do this, what was the media repercussion after it...etc.

Quote frome Wikipedia:

25 points, 22 rebounds and 21 assists. That`s f*cking impressive to say the least, best individual performance in the history of the game? Dont know, but its probably close.

Wilt would probably be a normal-good guy in todays league. The league was so undeveloped that it was impossible to compete with him.

Banned

put tyson chandler in that era and he'll be the goat.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NauruDude
    Wilt would probably be a normal-good guy in todays league. The league was so undeveloped that it was impossible to compete with him.
    So what? Why do people pull out the weak "era argument" when they try to diminish Wilt`s achievements?

His era was his era, point. If the average competition was weak in the 60s, why was Wilt above average then? It would be more logical to have similar level the rest of the league had, but Chamberlain was ahead of his era, and when comparing players you cant just say: "put him in other time and he would suck" cause that`s a weak argument that actually makes no sense.

The bottom line is Wilt Chamberlain shined in comparison to the rest of the players in the 60s and early 70s factoring all the circumstances, pace, style of play...etc. Just like Magic and Bird did that in the 80s, Jordan in the 90s or Kobe, Shaq and Duncan in the 00s.

But instead of appreciating one of the best individual performances in the history of the game, people will still pull out the same cliches around Wilt Chamberlain in this thread: "he is a choker", "his era sucked"...etc etc.

And im not even bothering to give that retard troll above me a serious response.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

thoseo numbers would be 3 pts 5 rebs and 1 assist in todays game

i kid i kid

I vote for calling it a "20/20/20 line" over "Double Triple Double"

All in favour say aye.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuhqueue
    I vote for calling it a "20/20/20 line" over "Double Triple Double"

All in favour say aye.
    I've just been calling it "The Wilt Triple Double." As opposed to an "Oscar Triple Double" or a "Kidd Triple Double."

So what? Why do people pull out the weak "era argument" when they try to diminish Wilt`s achievements?

His era was his era, point. If the average competition was weak in the 60s, why was Wilt above average then? It would be more logical to have similar level the rest of the league had, but Chamberlain was ahead of his era, and when comparing players you cant just say: "put him in other time and he would suck" cause that`s a weak argument that actually makes no sense.

The bottom line is Wilt Chamberlain shined in comparison to the rest of the players in the 60s and early 70s factoring all the circumstances, pace, style of play...etc. Just like Magic and Bird did that in the 80s, Jordan in the 90s or Kobe, Shaq and Duncan in the 00s.

But instead of appreciating one of the best individual performances in the history of the game, people will still pull out the same cliches around Wilt Chamberlain in this thread: "he is a choker", "his era sucked"...etc etc.

And im not even bothering to give that retard troll above me a serious response.
    Repped. Not to mention that the dude you quote doesn't know anything about the era, not to mention the player himself.

Quote frome Wikipedia:

To answer your question, after Wilt, Magic Johnson was the one who came the closest, as he had a 24/17/17 game in 1989.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote frome Wikipedia:

Had blocked shots been an "official" stat, Wilt may have had other 20-20-20 games. My god, his CAREER AVERAGE is 30 ppg and 23 rpg...in well over 1000 games. Given the fact that renowned stats guru Harvey Pollack had Wilt with games of 20+ blocks, there is a possibility that Wilt would have had several 20-20-20 games.

Last I looked, Wilt ranked fifth, all-time, in official triple-doubles. He also holds the record of most consecutive triple-double games, at nine. Here again, had blocked shots been officially recorded, he probably would have had HUNDREDS of triple-doubles, and perhaps 50 or more quad-doubles.

Wilt also had EIGHT DOUBLE QUADs in his career (games of 40 points and 40 rebounds in the same game), and FIVE 50-40 games (including a 78-43 game.) Of course, no other NBA player has ever accomplished either of those feats. Here is another interesting fact...aside from Wilt, there have been SIX 40-30 games in NBA history. How about Chamberlain? He had 55 (yes 55) 40-30 games by himself. Kevin Love just had a 30-30 game,...and that now makes a TOTAL of 131 30-30 games in NBA history. Oh, and BTW, Wilt has 103 of them.

There have been 28 40+ rebound games in NBA history...and Chamberlain has 15 of them. There have been a TOTAL of ten 70+ point games in NBA history, and Wilt has SIX of them by himself. There have been 32 60+ point games in NBA history...and Chamberlain has 32 of them (MJ and Kobe are next with five each.)

Scoring streaks? Chamberlain scored 26+ points in ALL 82 of his games in his 61-62 season (and only two of them were less than 30.) Not only that, but he scored 25+ points in 126 straight games, and 30+ points in 65 straight games. He didn't stop there either. Kobe and MJ each had nine straight games of 40+ points and both averaged about 44 ppg in their streaks. How about Wilt? He had TWO streaks of 14 games in a row with 40+ points, and in those two he averaged 53 and 54 ppg. And how about this number? Wilt scored 351 points over the course of five straight games...or 70 ppg in those five games.

Shooting? Wilt has the THREE highest "perfect" games in NBA history...and they all came in his 66-67 season. They were 15-15, 16-16, and 18-18. In fact, Chamberlain had a streak of 35 straight made FGs that year...another record. Wilt has the TWO highest FG% seasons in NBA history (.727 and .683), and three of the top-5. Not only that, but in his 66-67 season, his .683 mark was .162 better than his nearest competitor, Walt Bellamy, who shot .521...which is a record for differential. He also outshot the league that year by a .244 margin (.683 to the league average of .441.) In his 72-73 season, Wilt shot .727, which beat out his nearest competitor, Matt Guokas by .157 (.727 to .570)...and his .727 was a staggering .271 better than the league average (.456.) Those margins are WAY ahead of anyone else's numbers. For reference, Gilmore shot .670 in the third best season in NBA history, and he beat out his nearest competitor who shot .607, by .063. . He also outshot the league average by .188 (.670 to a league average of .482.)

And before some jumps in and mentions Wilt's "weak" era...Chamberlain faced the likes of Pettit, Lovelette, Bellamy, Reed, Embry, Thurmond, Hayes, Unseld, Lanier, Cowens, Lucas, Russell, and Kareem...ALL in the HOF. And he even schooled Artis Gilmore in a brief encounter in the 71-72 NBA-ABA all-star game. H2H he either outrebounded them all, and in many cases by huge margins.

He had THREE games of 60+ points on Bellamy (with a high of 73.) He had games of 58 and 52 against Reed. He had a game in which he outscored Thurmond by a 45-13 margin. He had FIVE 50+ point games against Russell, with a high hame of 62 (on 27-45 shooting.) In fact, he had 24 games of 40+ points against Russell. Late in his career he had a couple of 30+ point games against Lanier (and this was when he was seldom shooting.)

Wilt faced Kareem in his last four seasons, and well after his prime. In the 70-71 WCF's, Wilt matched Kareem in every statistical category...and all just a year removed from major knee surgery. And while Kareem had several high scoring games against Chamberlain in the 71-72 season, in the WCF's, Wilt held Kareem to .457 shooting (Kareem had shot .574 during the regular season)...AND, in the last four games of that six game series, Wilt limited Kareem to .414 shooting. Not only that, but he blocked something like 15 sky-hooks in that series, and he swatted 11 of Kareem's shots in the last two games (and 20 overall against the Bucks.) In fact, Wilt faced Kareem in 28 H2H games in their career, and held Kareem to .464 shooting in those games (and Kareem was a career .559 shooter.) In Wilt's finals season, he faced Kareem in six regular season games, and outshot him .637 to .450. Keep in mind that Wilt was 11 years older, well past his prime, and he played on a surgically repaired knee in the last 27 of those H2H games. In their one H2H battle before Wilt shredded his knee, Chamberlain outscored Kareem, 25-23; outrebounded Kareem, 25-20; outassisted Kareem, 5-2; outblocked Kareem, 3-2; and outshot Kareem, 9-14 to 9-21.

Now, keep in mind that Kareem, at age 39, poured in games of 35, 42, and 46 (on 21-30 shooting) against Hakeem in the 85-86 season. And, in that same season, Kareem also shelled Ewing with a 40 point game, while holding Patrick to 2-16 shooting.

Don't get me wrong. Kareem is a top-5 player in MY book, BUT, in his H2H battles with Wilt, the general consensus was that Wilt outplayed him (despite Kareem outscoring him.) In fact, Time Magazine hailed Wilt's performance in the 71-72 WCF's, as a decisive "win" by Chamberlain over Kareem. Furthermore, Wilt, in his scoring prime, pounded Nate Thurmond. Thurmond held Kareem to 22.8 ppg in each of their H2H playoff battles in the 71-72 and 72-73 season...and to .405 and .428 shooting in each. So, one can only wonder how a PRIME Wilt would have fared against Kareem.

And, finally, for those idiotic posters here who claim that Wilt would be an average center in TODAY's NBA...think about this. Wilt was considerably taller than Dwight Howard. He was considerably bigger than Howard. He was considerably stronger than Howard. Not only was Wilt was known to have dunked on 12 foot rims back in the 50's (in fact, the NBA outlawed the dunking of FT's BECAUSE of Wilt), he was also a college high-jump champion...so Chamberlain may very well have been a better leaper than Howard. Chamberlain was also a sprinter in college, and I don't think that there was any question that Wilt was faster than Howard (BTW, Hank Stram, the KC Chiefs coach, invited Wilt to a tryout in the mid-60's...and Wilt outraced the Chief's fastest running back.) And, take a look at the footage of Wilt on YouTube...and you will come away believing that Wilt was more SKILLED than Howard. So, here we go... Wilt was taller, bigger, stronger, faster, probably could leap higher, and was more skilled than Howard. So, how would he do in TODAY's NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    To answer your question, after Wilt, Magic Johnson was the one who came the closest, as he had a 24/17/17 game in 1989.
    You're better at digging up stat lines from before Basketball Reference's database than I am, any chance you could find what Robertson's closest game was. He's the only other guy I think would approach Wilt's line.

This is not impressive at all. Wilt already gets 30-20 almost every night. A 20-20 is pretty much a guarantee. So at this particular night his teammates happens to be hot, stat keeper is friendly and Wilt just feed them until he gets 20 assist.

I'm sure Wilt also got some 20-20-10-10 games.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Wilt had a 16-30-19 playoff game against the Royals in his '66-67 post-season, and then in game one of the ECF's, and against Russell, Wilt put up a documented 24-32-13-12 game.

3-time NBA All-Star

For those that have not seen these videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6k539HSbXM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=849_WdqJ8o8&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1R6UI738MI&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Paex9-VxPbA

There are many more, but those are my favorites...

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    You're better at digging up stat lines from before Basketball Reference's database than I am, any chance you could find what Robertson's closest game was. He's the only other guy I think would approach Wilt's line.
    Actually, Magic is the closest I've seen to 20/20/20, in that he got the closest to 20 in the "weakest" of the 3 categories, whichever it is.
    Up to now, I've tracked a 32/21/16, a 31/20/16 and a 28/20/16 game by Oscar, but not triple-17's.

Wilt had a 16-30-19 playoff game against the Royals in his '66-67 post-season, and then in game one of the ECF's, and against Russell, Wilt put up a documented 24-32-13-12 game.
    I know, but I'm talking about players other than Wilt. Actually, Wilt also had a 22-27-19 game in the 1968 season, which you can argue is almost equally impressive.