Default The Nets with coach Kidd and Pierce gone

As free agency winds down, the Brooklyn Nets have added some much-needed youth and athleticism.

But did the Nets sacrifice two major attributes that they seemed so intent on adding just a year ago? When Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett were introduced as Nets seated alongside Jason Kidd in a press conference at Barclays last summer, Brooklyn felt it had added two critical missing ingredients -

   

Default Re: The Nets with coach Kidd and Pierce gone

they didn't have much choice about kidd leaving, and pierce was added under the belief that the nets were title contenders.

articles like this are pretty much just overanalysing the situation. the boundaries and markers have changed drastically, and it's time to start behaving sensibly as a team.

The problem with the Nets is it doesn't appear they have a consistent philosophy. After Kidd was gone, they basically hunted for best available coach who wouldn't be a problem. Didn't matter if he fit the team or how they were playing. With Pierce, they said he cost too much. But they added two years of Jack vs. 1 of Thorton. The new rookie (i will not massacre his name) is being leaked as starter level material, totally as PR for losing Pierce. And Garnett, he's not talking to them now but Ian Eagle says he sees Garnett spending the rest o his career in some capacity with the Nets?

It's rare, outside of Pierce (which is a loss) that you can say the Nets made a bad move. But they make moves based on their philsophy of the day. It reminds me of the Jets, lots of good moves, good players, but random why they get them.

If next year they are still being frugal, developing the Euro players, etc., not changing personnel on the fly then yes,this is a new Nets. It's too soon to tell. It probably would help if they wouldn't worry so much about PR, they paint themselves in corners they don't need to.

   

i just see very little pt in keeping pierce around. they're not contending for anything significant, and i'd rather not have him take away PT from younger players. hollins was at least a very reasonable choice as defensive-minded successor, so i have no problems there. i like the idea of keeping KG with the org. actually i'd be thrilled if he turned asst coach right away and gave up his roster slot to youth.

i don't disagree with the willy-nilly assessment of the moves, but whatchu gonna do about it now? the PR stuff is mainly just fluff to me. the five-year plan is busted, billy king's trades have mainly been failures, and we somehow lost the phil jackson sweepstakes to dolan.

it's a shame that rod thorn struggled through a decade of crappy bargaining position only to be forced out (or whatever) when the golden opportunities of venue, arena and deep pockets came along.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    i just see very little pt in keeping pierce around. they're not contending for anything significant, and i'd rather not have him take away PT from younger players. hollins was at least a very reasonable choice as defensive-minded successor, so i have no problems there. i like the idea of keeping KG with the org. actually i'd be thrilled if he turned asst coach right away and gave up his roster slot to youth.

i don't disagree with the willy-nilly assessment of the moves, but whatchu gonna do about it now? the PR stuff is mainly just fluff to me. the five-year plan is busted, billy king's trades have mainly been failures, and we somehow lost the phil jackson sweepstakes to dolan.

it's a shame that rod thorn struggled through a decade of crappy bargaining position only to be forced out (or whatever) when the golden opportunities of venue, arena and deep pockets came along.
    I've always heard KG absolutely hates living in this area. (He's pretty open about it.) Likes the Nets, likes playing with the guys, hates not living somewhere else he's more comfortable. I find that report he wants to become some coach for life here baffling...

Nets season ticket cards appear to have Garnett on them, if you want a sign if he's returning or not.