Default Should Nets try to trade Deron Williams?

And, as tough as it is to say about someone who was once a premier point guard, it

   

Default Re: Should Nets try to trade Deron Williams?

we had the opportunity earlier and passed on it. it's likely far too late at this point. is the NY daily news trapped in a time warp?

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    we had the opportunity earlier and passed on it. it's likely far too late at this point. is the NY daily news trapped in a time warp?
    If I'm the Knicks, I at least consider Amare for DWill. If Brooklyn adds in Plumlee, it's a done deal.

Amare/Shumpert for
    DWill, Plums

Brooklyn gets TONS of cap relief, team is (likely) not terrible.. not in the East, and I still have faith in Johnson as a star. Johnson, Lopez, and whatever KG + Amare can offer is good enough to compete for playoffs. Only reason this matters is so the pick they send to Boston is not really high, lol.

NYK, on the other hand, has another "star" to play alonside Melo. Considering how strong/big DWill is, could even potentially play him as SG. I like Calderon.

Calderon/Williams/Prigs
    Williams/Hardaway JR
    Melo/Ellington
    Plums/Bargs
    Dal/Plums/Bargs

I know this is the Nets forum, but the Knicks could then try and trade Bargs and Hardaway JR to Philly for Young. Philly takes on the extra 3-4m per year in salary and Hardaway JR is their "reward" for doing so.

Calderon, Williams, Melo, Plumlee, Young, Dalembert could do some damage in the East.

   

late reply... but sorry there is no way in hell i would want amare and his 10,000-yr old knees. only way i could possibly entertain it is if we picked him up like the heat did with oden... for a minimum level contract and absolutely no guarantee of PT.

there's also no way i'd give up plums at this point considering what a great rookie season he had, what a pro he is, and how much upside he possesses.

No way to adding Plumlee. gigantes he offered amare due to his contract I'm pretty sure. (Expiring)

   

if they did that, they wouldn't be able to say that they're merely reloading. it would be rebuild mode without the draft assets going forward.

very hard to see prokhy and co. going that route.

College superstar

The amount of money saved would be ridiculous. Only way the Nets consider doing this is if Prohkov realizes he's not winning a title with this team (he's not), and that there's no sense bleeding money. I know his money is pretty ridiculous, though.

But someone said that adding Plumlee makes it a deal-breaker. I agree that adding him is difficult to do. Kid is a good young player. But you're swapping one pretty useless player on a massive 3 year contract for a more useless player on only a 1 year contract. Saves 43m or so other the life of the contract alone, much less considering taxes paid. Savings could be upwards of 60-70m for that swap.
    Those savings are why Plumlee is included. But Nets, naturally, don't want to part with such an asset, so they ask for one in return... Hardaway Jr. He's not on Plumlee's level, but the dude has a pretty bright future after a strong rookie campaign. So far, he's the next Jamal Crawford, but he could go as high as Jason Richardson (minus the ridiculous dunks, of course) and as low as JR Smith.

So, to recap... Nets save 60-70m over the next 3 years, and lose a good prospect, but get back a slightly lesser prospect.

   

again, that may seem sensible from the outside, but no way do i see king / prokhy pulling the trigger on something like that.

right at this moment, the nets coaching staff are in vegas watching plumlee scrimmage the USA world team. he actually has a shot at making the roster, given injuries and his level of play.

not to mention, d-will struggling through injuries as he's been is still far from useless. his teammates generally consider him the most talented player on the team.

in other words, they are still high on d-will, plums, and the concept of fielding the most competitive team that they can. what's changed is that they want to do that but also develop some future assets at the same time. but for better or worse, d-will, lopez and JJ are still the core of the team in their minds.