College star

Default Triple Double history of the NBA

Got this from another board..

Lebron failed to have a triple double for the 4th straight game i think, anyway it made me think of putting up a thread about triple doubles since Jkidd is my fave player. Its not as easy as it seems but i was surprised to see that the last person who had a triple-double streak longer than three games was Michael Jordan, who had seven straight in March and April of 1989.

Anyway got this from WIKI

NBA triple-double facts

* Averaging a triple-double over an entire season: Oscar Robertson is the only player in NBA history to achieve this feat.[3] During the 1961-1962 season, Robertson averaged 30.8 points, 12.5 rebounds, and 11.4 assists per game[4]
    * All-time leader (regular season): Oscar Robertson is the all-time leader with 181.
    * All-time leader (playoffs): Magic Johnson is the all-time leader with 30.
    * Most triple-doubles in a single season: Oscar Robertson with 41 triple-doubles in one season during the 1961-62 NBA season.[3] Wilt Chamberlain is in second place with 31 triple-doubles in the 1967-68 season.[5]
    * Youngest player: LeBron James, aged 20 years and 20 days, logged a triple-double on January 19, 2005, versus the Portland Trail Blazers. He had 27 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists.[6]
    * Oldest player: Karl Malone is the only 40-year-old player to do so, on November 28, 2003 with 10 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists versus the San Antonio Spurs.[7]
    * Double-triple-double: this feat requires at least 20 of any 3 statistics. Wilt Chamberlain is the only player to have accomplished this; in a February 2, 1968 game, Chamberlain's statistics were 22 points, 25 rebounds, and 21 assists.[8]
    * Longest continuous streak: Wilt Chamberlain holds the record for the most consecutive triple-doubles. In 1968, from March 8 to March 20, he recorded a triple-double in nine straight games.[5]
    * Triple-doubles by teammates in one regular season game: This feat of athleticism and teamwork was accomplished only twice since 1986-1987, by Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen (Chicago vs. L.A. Clippers) on January 3, 1989, and by Vince Carter and Jason Kidd (New Jersey vs. Washington) on April 7, 2007.[9] There was a Near miss though, on Jan 27,2009 With LeBron James getting a triple double with 23 points 15 rebounds and 10 assists, and his teammate Mo Williams getting 43 points 8 rebounds and 11 assists. In total, it has occurred ten times in NBA history.
    * Triple-doubles by opponents in a regular season game: This competitive spectacle occurred only six times since 1986-1987,[9] four times involving Jason Kidd (while playing for three different teams). Kidd accomplished it with Clyde Drexler twice (Dallas at Houston, April 11, 1995 and Phoenix at Houston, March 22, 1997), with Jay Williams (New Jersey at Chicago, November 9, 2002), and with Tracy McGrady (New Jersey vs. Orlando, February 23, 2003). In addition, the feat was performed by Gary Payton and Chris Webber (Seattle at Sacramento, April 18, 2000), and by Caron Butler and Baron Davis (Washington vs. Golden State, November 23, 2007). Other instances might be found in older records, especially considering the many contests between great rivals like Russell-Chamberlain and Bird-Magic.

NBA all-time triple-double leaders

Regular Season [10] Playoffs [11]
    Rank Name TD Name TD
    1. Oscar Robertson 181 Magic Johnson 30
    2. Magic Johnson 138 Jason Kidd 11
    3. Jason Kidd 102 Larry Bird 10
    4. Wilt Chamberlain 78 Wilt Chamberlain 9
    5. Larry Bird 59 Oscar Robertson 8
    6. Fat Lever 43 John Havlicek 5
    7. John Havlicek 30 Charles Barkley 4
    8. Grant Hill 29 Elgin Baylor 4
    8. Michael Jordan 29 Walt Frazier 4
    10. LeBron James 23 Scottie Pippen 4

[edit] Triple-doubles with double figures in steals or blocked shots

* Listed are known occurrences; others may exist.

Points, rebounds, blocks

* After the traditional points, rebounds, assists combination, this is by far the most common combination. It has occurred 46 times in the regular season in the last 22 years, for a rate of more than 2 occurrences per season. Several players have achieved this feat multiple times.
    * Dikembe Mutombo (ten games)
    * Hakeem Olajuwon (nine games)
    * David Robinson (nine times)
    * Shawn Bradley (six games)
    * Marcus Camby (three games)
    * Ben Wallace (two games)
    * Players with one occurrence: Mark Eaton, Manute Bol, Larry Nance, Benoit Benjamin, Shaquille O'Neal, Jermaine O'Neal, Andrei Kirilenko, Dwight Howard.

Points, assists, steals

* Fat Lever, March 9, 1985, Denver vs. Indiana - 13, 15, 10
    * Clyde Drexler, January 10, 1986, Portland at Milwaukee - 26, 11, 10[12]
    * Kevin Johnson, December 9, 1993, Phoenix vs. Washington - 17, 13, 10[13]
    * Mookie Blaylock, April 14, 1998, Atlanta vs. Philadelphia - 14, 11, 10[14]

Points, rebounds, steals

* Larry Steele, November 16, 1974, Portland vs. L.A. Lakers - 12, 11, 10[12]
    * Clyde Drexler, November 1, 1996, Houston vs. Sacramento - 25, 10, 10[15]
    * Kendall Gill, April 3, 1999, New Jersey vs. Miami - 15, 10, 11[16]
    * Alvin Robertson achieved this in his quadruple-double.

Points, assists, blocks

* This has happened twice in the last 22 NBA seasons, and at least three times in NBA history; all known occasions are in fact quadruple-doubles.

Rebounds, assists, blocks

* This has happened twice in the last 22 NBA seasons, and at least three times in NBA history; all known occasions are in fact quadruple-doubles.

Rebounds, assists, steals

* Alvin Robertson achieved this in his quadruple-double. It is the only known NBA example of this triple-double combination.

Triple-double combinations that have not been achieved

* points, steals, blocks
    * rebounds, steals, blocks
    * assists, steals, blocks
    If that's hard to read, go here http://niketalk.yuku.com/topic/160268

Default Re: Triple Double history of the NBA

The most overrated Stat in the NBA IMO

This is the triple-double article from Wikipedia. To be honest, I expected something more rare when I read the title, like a detailed triple-double table, although I know this thing doesn't exist yet. There are some good efforts going on, however.

Quote Originally Posted by lilojmayo
    The most overrated Stat in the NBA IMO
    I would have to agree with that.

Trible doubles are nice enough as such things go, but very much overrated. Look at Jason Kidd for example, yeah he has a lot games right around 10-10-10, but is that really better than Chris Paul going for 20-5-10 or Kevin Garnett going for 20-10-5 ? I think not.

Versatility is vastly overrated, what really matters is dominance. Players focus too much on being able to do everything, rather than focussing on their strengths. Look at Shaq for example, the man could never hit anything outside of 5-feet, and yet he's a top 10 player of all time, why ? Because he was unstopable at the things he could do.

It's too bad blocks weren't an official stat at the beginning. Wilt and Russell probably got a few triple doubles if you could count blocks.

NBA rookie of the year

The most amazing performance I've seen is Hakeem Olajuwon's first quadruple-double, it was against Milwaukee and Dream was just SICK!

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...003290HOU.html

18 points, 16, rebounds, 11 blocks and 10 assists. I know this really ain't what the thread is about but man, you all should get an opportunity to see the game so here you go, fellas:

http://www.mixmakers.net/forums/larg...le-double.html

I promise you, you won't be dissapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    The most amazing performance I've seen is Hakeem Olajuwon's first quadruple-double, it was against Milwaukee and Dream was just SICK!

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...003290HOU.html

18 points, 16, rebounds, 11 blocks and 10 assists. I know this really ain't what the thread is about but man, you all should get an opportunity to see the game so here you go, fellas:

http://www.mixmakers.net/forums/larg...le-double.html

I promise you, you won't be dissapointed.
    Thanks for the link

This was by far the most interesting piece of information I saw...

NBA all-time triple-double leaders

Regular Season [10] Playoffs [11]
    Rank Name TD Name TD
    1. Oscar Robertson 181 Magic Johnson 30
    2. Magic Johnson 138 Jason Kidd 11
    3. Jason Kidd 102 Larry Bird 10
    4. Wilt Chamberlain 78 Wilt Chamberlain 9
    5. Larry Bird 59 Oscar Robertson 8
    6. Fat Lever 43 John Havlicek 5
    7. John Havlicek 30 Charles Barkley 4
    8. Grant Hill 29 Elgin Baylor 4
    8. Michael Jordan 29 Walt Frazier 4
    10. LeBron James 23 Scottie Pippen 4
    Pippen didn't even break the top 10 for the regular season, but Jordan did. But when it came playoff time it shows that not only Jordan upped his level of play for the playoffs, but Pippen did too.

Banned

I though MJ only had 27 triple doubles, but whatever.

LeBron is now at the top of the list of 30/10/10 games. This list of course excludes the big O but I think that is because there is no game logs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdog1
    LeBron is now at the top of the list of 30/10/10 games.
    Since the 86-87 season.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mikaiel
    Since the 86-87 season.
    I know and that is why I said excluding big o.

I though MJ only had 27 triple doubles, but whatever.

LeBron is now at the top of the list of 30/10/10 games. This list of course excludes the big O but I think that is because there is no game logs.
    Game logs do exist, but unfortunately they are not available to anyone not working for the NBA or the Elias Sports Bureau.

BTW, I think Jordan still leads LeBron at 30/10/10 games by 1.

From the figures I've seen, the all-time list for such games is 95% as following:

1. Oscar Robertson
    2. Wilt Chamberlain
    3. Larry Bird
    4. Magic Johnson
    5. Michael Jordan
    6. LeBron James

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    BTW, I think Jordan still leads LeBron at 30/10/10 games by 1.
    30 point triple doubles since the 86-87 season :

MJ : 14
    LeBron : 14
    Magic : 12
    Bird : 6
    Jason Kidd : 6
    Kobe : 3
    Wade : 1

MJ probably has a few more of those but I don't know where to get that data

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Mikaiel
    30 point triple doubles since the 86-87 season :

MJ : 14
    LeBron : 14
    Magic : 12
    Bird : 6
    Jason Kidd : 6
    Kobe : 3
    Wade : 1

MJ probably has a few more of those but I don't know where to get that data
    Jordan had two 30 point triple doubles in his rookie season (35/14/15 ast and 32/11/16 ast) and none in 1986, when he only played about 20 games and limited minutes due to his foot injury. So assuming that number you posted is correct (I didn't check), I guess he has 16 in total.

LeBron almost passes MJ on triple doubles, OMG, LeBron=GOAT.