Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Default Re: Thoughts of Seattle stealing a team?

Quote Originally Posted by Niytrus
    It's a little different scenario... the Sonics were sold to an ownership group who lied and pretended to be interested in keeping the team in Seattle before, during, and after the sale of the team. It was later revealed that they had absolutely no intention of keeping the team in Washington.

I'm OK with the sale and relocation because this ownership group has made it perfectly clear on what their intentions are.
    This.

Important distinction

Jazz | Utes | Raiders UtahJazzFan88's Avatar

I can't speak for those who said that, but I lived in Seattle when the team was sold, and still live in Washington. I've been a Sonics fan since a kid and the reason I was upset with the team moving is the way it happened - there was no reason to move the team. Seattle is a great market and the fan support is amazing. The only reason the team was moved was because the ownership group wanted a team in OKC. Sacremento is a little different situation in my opinion since it is such a small market and can't get any support for a new arena, but as a Seattle fan I'm OK with the Kings moving to Seattle.
    Sacramento had the support for the arena & a deal in place before the Maloofs backed out (I think they only had to pay like 15% of the arena costs and yet they would still be the owner/operating group), Sacramento has done everything they could, the Maloof's are even bigger slimebags than Clay Bennett.

Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UtahJazzFan88
    Sacramento had the support for the arena & a deal in place before the Maloofs backed out (I think they only had to pay like 15% of the arena costs and yet they would still be the owner/operating group), Sacramento has done everything they could.
    Yes, the City approved an arena deal (the vote was 7-2) in March 2012 which the Maloofs had been pushing hard for - at the City hall that night they were there celebrating, I recall watching it live on local news.

Then, around a month later (April 13th 2012, I think) they backed out of the deal. Whatever people say, the City of Sacramento did its part.

Also as aforementioned, in April 2011 Ron Burkle offered to purchase the team and keep them in Sac but the Maloofs said they weren't selling - they have really proven themselves duplicitous through this whole ordeal.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

It's a little different scenario... the Sonics were sold to an ownership group who lied and pretended to be interested in keeping the team in Seattle before, during, and after the sale of the team. It was later revealed that they had absolutely no intention of keeping the team in Washington.

I'm OK with the sale and relocation because this ownership group has made it perfectly clear on what their intentions are.
    Bringing up those facts will not sway people's insistence that something underhanded is going down.

Clay Bennett flat out lied about keeping the team in Seattle. He was sold the team based on that lie. He then did not negotiate in good faith to keep the team in Seattle and took a similar deal in THE WORST MEDIA MARKET IN THE NBA to move to Oklahoma City.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

The Seattle fans knew the second they were sold they were moving. Last time this came up I posted articles from the first hour the sale was announced with Sonic fans talking about them going to OKC. One of the new ownership group was fined by the league for flat out saying they wanted to move.

It wasnt a shocking move or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    The Seattle fans knew the second they were sold they were moving. Last time this came up I posted articles from the first hour the sale was announced with Sonic fans talking about them going to OKC. One of the new ownership group was fined by the league for flat out saying they wanted to move.

It wasnt a shocking move or anything.
    Sonics fans don't want to hear that. It's not the way they want the story to be remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    I remember the consensus of Seattle fans stating that they didn't want a team from another city. They explained that getting another team would mean taking another team from a city and let this be a warning to all fans.

It's like they totally forgot this. I want to hear them chime in on this.
    I'm one of those fans and just like when the Sonics left and the King potentially coming to Seattle, I have almost no say in this.

But I always wanted an expansion given to Seattle.