Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Ring Magazine Fighter of the Decade

That's why Floyd needs to beat Marquez, Pacquiao, and Cotto/Mosley to be consider as the best fighter in the modern era
    He doesnt need to do that. He dominated his era. Marquez? Wth lol

I dont see how RJJ is on that list and Floyd isnt based on beating the best.

Pacman has the hype and backing now. My guess. I wouldnt mind if they took Pacman and said "Close but slight edge to Pac Man but could change if he meets Floyd and loses". Not he has to beat the best. Wtf.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    He doesnt need to do that. He dominated his era. Marquez? Wth lol

I dont see how RJJ is on that list and Floyd isnt based on beating the best.

Pacman has the hype and backing now. My guess. I wouldnt mind if they took Pacman and said "Close but slight edge to Pac Man but could change if he meets Floyd and loses". Not he has to beat the best. Wtf.

That's why Pacman and Mayweather fight needs to happen this year. The Winner of the fight will be consider as the greatest fighter of this decade.

RJJ is on the lists because he is the Second Middleweight Champion to win the World Heavyweight title.

And he was a dominant fighter in the 1990's he defeated James Toney, Bernard Hopkins, Tito Trinidad, Antonio Tarver, John Ruiz, Clinton Woods, Montell Griffin, Julio C

The Brooklyn Brawler. BrooklynZoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    ESPN 50 greatest Fighters of all time (Last Updated 2007)

1. Sugar Ray Robinson
    2. Muhammad Ali
    3. Henry Armstrong
    4. Joe Louis
    5. Willie Pep
    6. Roberto Duran
    7. Benny Leonard
    8. Jack Johnson
    9. Jack Dempsey
    10. Sam Langford
    11. Joe Gans
    12. Sugar Ray Leonard
    13. Harry Greb
    14. Rocky Marciano
    15. Jimmy Wilde
    16. Gene Tunney
    17. Mickey Walker
    19. Stanley Ketchel
    20. George Foreman
    21. Tony Canzoneri
    22. Barney Ross
    23. Jimmy McLarnin
    24. Julio Cesar Chavez
    25. Marcel Cerdan
    26. Joe Frazier
    27. Ezzard Charles
    18. Archie Moore
    28. Jake LaMotta
    29. Sandy Saddler
    30. Terry McGovern
    31. Billy Conn
    32. Jose Napoles
    33. Ruben Olivares
    34. Emile Griffith
    35. Marvin Hagler
    36. Eder Jofre
    37. Thomas Hearns
    38. Larry Holmes
    39. Oscar De La Hoya ( Defeated by Manny and Mayweather)
    40. Evander Holyfield
    41. Ted "Kid" Lewis
    42. Alexis Arguello
    43. Marco Antonio Barrera ( Defeated by Manny Pacquiao)
    44. Pernell Whitaker
    45. Carlos Monzon
    46. Roy Jones Jr.
    47. Bernard Hopkins
    48. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
    49. Erik Morales ( Defeated by Manny Pacquiao)
    50. Mike Tyson

http://boxing.about.com/od/history/a/50_greatest.htm

I think Both Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez will be on the updated lists because they had some great wins, Milestones, and great accomplishments after 2007.

If Mayweather defeated Pacman, Marquez, and Cotto/Mosley. He's going to be a Top 10 fighters of all time.

If Pacman defeated Mayweather, Cotto ( Win his 7th titles in 7th Weight Divisions), and Marquez. He's going to be a Top 10 fighters of all time.
    im not a great boxing historian, but i would think tyson should be ranked better.. and i dont see why barrera is ranked ahead of the likes of floyd, roy, mike, etc

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynZoo
    im not a great boxing historian, but i would think tyson should be ranked better.. and i dont see why barrera is ranked ahead of the likes of floyd, roy, mike, etc

I think Barrera was ranked higher because of his classic fights with Morales and Pacquiao.

Barrera is also a 7x World Champion in 3 different Weight Divisions.

He defeated Paulie Ayala, Kevin Kelley, Eric Morales (2-1), Johnny Tapia, and a Prime Naseem Hamed.( Ending Hamed's Winning Streak)

Manny beat most of these all time greats when they were worn down. Look at when he faced De La Hoya.

Hoya > Manny.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Ring Magazine has a known disdain for all things Floyd, so this doesn't surprise me in the least. I do think that Pacquaio has reached the point where his career achievements can be favorably compared to PBF, but, right now, I would not have him ahead of Floyd in any 'Fighter of the Decade' poll. It is dumb to have this right now, anyway, since the two will almost assuredly fight within the next year.

Ring Magazine LOVES the fact that Pac has unseated PBF in a lot of people's eyes and they literally couldn't wait to announce their biased viewpoints to the world.

Btw, stop posting Ring Magazine all-time rankings as if they are some kind of validation, LeBron23. They mean nothing. Those lists are laughably bad, as are most publications by Ring Magazine.

Be proud of your fellow countryman, by all means... But don't fall into the hype that Ring Magazine is trying to sell. The fact is, Pac has losses and draws on his record. PBF has never been defeated in the ring and he is a natural 135-pounder that has gone all the way up to 154.

Pac's most impressive wins (DLH and Hatton) are both guys that PBF had already beaten. I have all of the respect in the world for Manny, but Ring Magazine rankings don't mean a damned thing.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Manny beat most of these all time greats when they were worn down. Look at when he faced De La Hoya.

Hoya > Manny.

But before the Manny- Oscar Bout. Manny was the underdog because that was his first fight in the Welterweight Division, and Oscar Dela Hoya is at least 4" taller than Pacquiao.

And in Dela Hoya's last major fight he took Mayweather into the limit, and Oscar lasted 12 rounds against Mayweather because still have one of the toughest chin in the business.

Oscar Dela Hoya also defeated Pernell Whittaker and Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. when they were both past their prime.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking

Hoya > Manny.
    Nah.

Manny >>>>>> DLH

Oscar has lost way more big fights than he has won.

The Brooklyn Brawler. BrooklynZoo's Avatar

btw manny shouldnt be fighter of the decade... hes just now making an argument for P4P when floyd has been king for years. theyre jumpin the gun

Floyd is the better boxer, but Manny has the better boxing resume after becoming the first and only boxer to win 4 Lineal titles.

His Record in the 2000's

22 wins, 1 loss, 1 draw, ( 16' KO's)

Mayweather's Record in the 2000's

17 wins, 0 loss, ( 8' KO's)

And in defense to Manny's Losses he was a pretty raw boxer before Freddie Roach trained him.

He was KO'ed by Rustico Torrecampo when he was 16 or 17 yrs.old.

In the Medgeon 3kBattery fight he was weight drained, and that was also his last fight in the Flyweight Division.

And in his first fight with Eric Morales he was still a one dimensional boxer, and this is the same Eric Morales that twice knocked down Jesus Chavez, which Floyd Mayweather Jr. himself had been unable to do.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Ring Magazine has a known disdain for all things Floyd, so this doesn't surprise me in the least. I do think that Pacquaio has reached the point where his career achievements can be favorably compared to PBF, but, right now, I would not have him ahead of Floyd in any 'Fighter of the Decade' poll. It is dumb to have this right now, anyway, since the two will almost assuredly fight within the next year.

Ring Magazine LOVES the fact that Pac has unseated PBF in a lot of people's eyes and they literally couldn't wait to announce their biased viewpoints to the world.

Btw, stop posting Ring Magazine all-time rankings as if they are some kind of validation, LeBron23. They mean nothing. Those lists are laughably bad, as are most publications by Ring Magazine.

Be proud of your fellow countryman, by all means... But don't fall into the hype that Ring Magazine is trying to sell. The fact is, Pac has losses and draws on his record. PBF has never been defeated in the ring and he is a natural 135-pounder that has gone all the way up to 154.

Pac's most impressive wins (DLH and Hatton) are both guys that PBF had already beaten. I have all of the respect in the world for Manny, but Ring Magazine rankings don't mean a damned thing.

Pac greatest wins are againts Prime Eric Morales, Prime Marco Antonio Barrera, and Prime Juan Manuel Marquez.

His fight againts Hatton and Dela Hoya are just icing on the cake.

By the way his next fight is againts the winner of the Cotto/Clottey Fight.

Floyd is the better boxer, but Manny has the better boxing resume after becoming the first and only boxer to win 4 Lineal titles.
    This really doesn't mean much to me. It is cool that Manny dominated in four weight divisions, but 'linear' titles is a loose term in today's age of 500 weight classes and 500 belts.

When I judge a resume, I look at who was fought. For me, PBF's wins over Castillo (x2), Corrales, Carlos Hernandez, and Geraro Hernandez are better than Manny's pre-140+ wins (MAB, Morales, Marquez). The fact of the matter is, before his fight in 2003 against MAB, very few people knew a thing about Pac.

He has done some great things since then, but not enough to unseat the guy who has been dominating great competition for LITERALLY a decade.... Not six years.

And in his first fight with Eric Morales he was still a one dimensional boxer, and this is the same Eric Morales that twice knocked down Jesus Chavez, which Floyd Mayweather Jr. himself had been unable to do.
    That proves nothing. First, the Chavez that PBF fought in 2001 and the Chavez that Morales fought in 2004 were two completely different fighters. Secondly, Floyd dominated Chavez. PBF isn't a knockout artist and he never has been.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 05-14-2009 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    This really doesn't mean much to me. It is cool that Manny dominated in four weight divisions, but 'linear' titles is a loose term in today's age of 500 weight classes and 500 belts.

When I judge a resume, I look at who was fought. For me, PBF's wins over Castillo (x2), Corrales, Carlos Hernandez, and Geraro Hernandez are better than Manny's pre-140+ wins (MAB, Morales, Marquez). The fact of the matter is, before his fight in 2003 against MAB, very few people knew a thing about Pac.

He has done some great things since then, but not enough to unseat the guy who has been dominating great competition for LITERALLY a decade.

That proves nothing. First, the Chavez that PBF fought in 2001 and the Chavez that Morales fought in 2004 were two completely different fighters. Secondly, Floyd dominated Chavez. PBF isn't a knockout artist and he never has been.
    Manny is also a 2x Ring Magazine Fighter of the year.

Marco Antonio Barrera, Eric Morales, and Juan Manuel Marquez are considered as all time greats, and they have a much better accomplishments than Diego Corales ( RIP), Pamoso Hernandez, Castillo, and Geraro Hernandez.

And you forget to add Pacquiao's win againts Chatchai Sasakul who was regarded as one of the best Flyweight in the late 1990's.

Pacquiao's Record againts Morales, Barrera and Marquez.

Morales - 2-1
    Barrera - 3-0
    Marquez - 1-1

Those guys are top 10 Greatest Mexican Boxers of all time, and Pacquiao defeated them.

He also defeated the same boxers that Floyd beat but in a dominating fashion.

And Ring Magazine should be biased towards Pacman because he defeated their boss ( Oscar), and he retired the 3rd best boxer ( Hatton) in their stable.

Even Bernard Hopkins should also be consider as Fighter of the Decade because he defeated RJJ (ATG), Wright, Tarver, Dela Hoya (ATG), Trinidad (ATG), and Pavlik.

I say that Pacman & The Executioner (Tied), and Pretty Boy are the 3 best fighters of this decade.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 05-14-2009 at 11:34 PM.

And you forget to add Pacquiao's win againts Chatchai Sasakul who was regarded as one of the best Flyweight in the late 1990's.
    The best flyweight of the late-90s? Nah... That was Michael Carbajal.

Besides, the weight class was pretty weak in the late-90s with many of the greatest flyweights of all-time retiring in the middle of the decade.

Humberto Gonzalez fought until the mid-90s and he was infinitely better than Sasakul. Hilario Zapata was also way, way better, but he retired in the mid-90s, as well. Most of those guys spent their time at light-flyweight because of the better competition, in fact.

Sasakul was a decent win for Pac, but nothing all that noteworthy.

Pacquiao's Record againts Morales, Barrera and Marquez.

Morales - 2-1
    Barrera - 3-0
    Marquez - 1-1

Those guys are top 10 Greatest Mexican Boxers of all time, and Pacquiao defeated them.
    Marquez IS NOT a Top 10 great when it comes to Mexicans fighters. It is questionable whether or not MAB or Morales would be on that list, as well.

The clear-cut No. 1 and No. 2 are Julio Cesar Chavez and Salvador Sanchez. There is no argument otherwise.

Then, you have Finito Lopez, Pipino Cuevas, Miguel Canto, Ruben Olivares, Carlos Zarate, Raul Raton Macias, Daniel Zaragoza just off the top of my head that I may have in front of both Morales and MAB. Those two have an argument for POSSIBLY being Top 10 All-Time Mexican fighters, but Marquez doesn't... He doesn't have enough big fights to compare to the others I mentioned (and I could come up with more if you give me some time).

Regardless, Castillo, Corrales, and Hernandez were great fighters in the light welterweight division, while MAB, Morales, and Marquez fought mainly at featherweight. That is a HUGE difference to say the least.

He also defeated the same boxers that Floyd beat but in a dominating fashion.
    It depends on your definition of 'dominating.' Is a flurry of wild punches that overwhelms an opponent and eventually KOs them 'more dominating' than embarrassing a guy through pure boxing skill over the course of 12 brutal rounds?

And Ring Magazine should be biased againts Pacman because he defeated their boss, and he retired their 3rd best boxer in their stable.
    Trust me when I tell you... Ring Magazine does not like Floyd. It is well-known among boxing circles. They've done everything they can over the course of his career to give him the least credit possible, both in their articles and in these fake polls.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 05-14-2009 at 11:48 PM.