Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star Upgrayedd's Avatar

Default Rose should withdraw from Team USA.

He's been sitting out and missing practice. I don't blame him. With Paul George injured and Durant withdrawing, Rose is expected to carry the team. Playing for Team USA was fine when Rose was just going to be a part of the team but he shouldn't be expected to take on a large role. He should withdraw and just focus on getting ready for training camp/preseason.

Default Re: Rose should withdraw from Team USA.

I won't say withdraw , coz he's been performing well in the matches . But yeah , I should say this that He must keep himself healthy and stay away from any more silly injuries , we've had enough of them ; and I can't just stand Kirk Hinrich hogging the spotlight.

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

Rose is doing exactly what he needs to do.

But if you want, I can forward your message to him, so he can think it over.

Local High School Star Upgrayedd's Avatar

I made this thread when it was being reported that Rose had missed practice. Now he's back on the team so he must obviously feel he's healthy enough to continue playing for Team USA.

College superstar

If a player ever chooses to sit out of an exhibition game due to "fatigue" or "injury" then they should not stay on with that team.

I understand the draw and importance and desire to play for Team USA. But Rose has a 17m dollar contract that, in effect, says he owes it to the Chicago Bulls and the NBA to be healthy for THEIR season. If he is choosing to sit out of an exhibition game, I struggle to classify him as "healthy". So don't risk it.

I still maintain that view even after Rose playing now.

One factor that would change my mind is if the COACH held him out. But if Rose, or the trainer, make the decision, then he should not play, period.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    If a player ever chooses to sit out of an exhibition game due to "fatigue" or "injury" then they should not stay on with that team.

I understand the draw and importance and desire to play for Team USA. But Rose has a 17m dollar contract that, in effect, says he owes it to the Chicago Bulls and the NBA to be healthy for THEIR season. If he is choosing to sit out of an exhibition game, I struggle to classify him as "healthy". So don't risk it.

I still maintain that view even after Rose playing now.

One factor that would change my mind is if the COACH held him out. But if Rose, or the trainer, make the decision, then he should not play, period.
    I for one don't feel great about him playing for Team USA but he decides to play, then so be it, but I strongly feel that this should be his LAST STINT there! Nobody is raising a fuss on why Lebron is not there anymore... Because he already served? Why the overkill of sending your best players for many years? Most of the toughest competitors don't even have 3 nba allstars and yet they are there competing hard. Bottom line for me too is that US team have so much talent. Let them serve 2 years and move on. Heck coach K don't even play and banged up and he's thinking for quitting from this nice gig, having like 4 of the greatest assistant coaches.

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

17m =/= Team USA

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    I for one don't feel great about him playing for Team USA but he decides to play, then so be it, but I strongly feel that this should be his LAST STINT there! Nobody is raising a fuss on why Lebron is not there anymore... Because he already served? Why the overkill of sending your best players for many years? Most of the toughest competitors don't even have 3 nba allstars and yet they are there competing hard. Bottom line for me too is that US team have so much talent. Let them serve 2 years and move on. Heck coach K don't even play and banged up and he's thinking for quitting from this nice gig, having like 4 of the greatest assistant coaches.
    We disagree here. But that's obviously OK. I would want to play for Team USA every year, no matter how good or bad I was. I just would be doing a disservice to my team, teammates, city, fans, and my contract if I continued to play in a non-NBA game/practice/schedule when I was not fully healthy. That's my main point.

Rose hasn't played many basketball games in the past two years, of course he will experience fatigue and soreness. It being an exhibition game makes even more sense to choose to sit out. Why push and punish your body for a friendly game? He has had two knee injuries dude, Rose will never go many games without feeling it in his legs. With this logic, he wouldn't even be playing basketball anymore.

If Rose can not make it past a FIBA tournament, what makes you believe that he will be able to play more than 30 NBA games and live up to that contract? He has been medically cleared to play, and sitting on his ass just doing regular workouts and pick up games isn't going to do him any favors.

We disagree here. But that's obviously OK. I would want to play for Team USA every year, no matter how good or bad I was. I just would be doing a disservice to my team, teammates, city, fans, and my contract if I continued to play in a non-NBA game/practice/schedule when I was not fully healthy. That's my main point.
    wow, the "cummulative effect" don't bother you at all, You will want to play every freaking year, really?
    Kobe is just what 34? and yet he's like 40 with the pounding, playing the extra 30 games every year and the guy is dedicated in taking care of his body. Why? the Accumulation of the physical punishment every second of not just actual games but also practices etc etc and thats just the physical aspect. Like I said coach K was considering quitting and he doesn't even get touched at all, why? The mental fatigue.
    YOu then compare a 40yr old Andre Miller who is still playing over KObe. Because he plays Less MINS/game, less games over the past 18 yrs or so. Add to the fact that he doesn't rely on his athletic ability UNLIKE Rose and Kobe.
    Again, why the overkill? Will this US team really need Rose every year for them to win? Ty Lawson, Lillard can't outduel Ricky Rubio and that PG from Slovenia and Lithuania? The 40 yr old Leandro Barbosa who can't even get a contract right now is simply too overpowering vs the 10th-15 best american PG? really?

College superstar

@Undisputed --

Others have made that same argument to me. Team exhibition games and practices are where players should get their conditioning back. I don't want someone that needs to sit out occasionally risking further injury by playing in an un-sanctioned game, as it were. I understand where you're coming from, and you're right that it's only exhibition so why not sit, but look at it from a cause POV. Only way you ever have to sit is if you're not game ready. I don't want my superstar, that's not game ready, to be playing in a game that doesn't benefit the Chicago Bulls.

@Tamaraw --

Yes. I don't care about cumulative. I never bought in to that idea, anyway. They're professional athletes. Their bodies should be used to what an average person would consider excessive exercise. Also, it would be such a huge honor to play for Team USA. Huge, huge honor. I'd rather play for my country than win an NBA title.

@Tamaraw --

Yes. I don't care about cumulative. I never bought in to that idea, anyway. They're professional athletes. Their bodies should be used to what an average person would consider excessive exercise. Also, it would be such a huge honor to play for Team USA. Huge, huge honor. I'd rather play for my country than win an NBA title.
    You call it excessive exercise , I call it physical punishment...probably, it's somewhere in the middle but apparently Popovich disagree with you re: cumulative effect as he disallowed Parker and Ginobli from playing for their countries. Cuban too. Going back to Pops, he also habitually rested his superstars for several games during the reg season, managed their minutes etc, hence another championship for a team with aging veterans.
    You would rather "play", sure, one sports commentator fumed why there were grumblings about Durant pulling out from the US team, He explained that not playing the sport you love is miniscule as compared to Kevin doing so much outside basketball. Raising funds for a worthy cause, donating a ton of money to actually make a difference for a lot of people. So I agree with that guy, but that's just me.

Tournament is over, Rose is perfectly fine. Got to work on a few kinks, work with other talent around the NBA, and got a lot of needed conditioning for maintaining his body through the NBA season. It's a win for the Bulls having him play FIBA this year.

Rose gets through the tournament unscathed.

In hindsight, this was a good decision.

He will now get a bit back on where he was

Bulls | Bears | W. Sox ballinhun8's Avatar

Hate that the off season s so long in the NBA.

Basically another two months before we see Rose and the boys in a meaningful game.