Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    7-time NBA All-Star

Default Phil Jackson to make Gasol the first option early in the season?

LOS ANGELES - The Lakers are Kobe Bryant's team, and that's not changing any time soon.

Well, not in the long term.

In the short term, with Bryant still working himself back into game shape after arthroscopic knee surgery, it's at least conceivable that Pau Gasol could be the first option for the offense when the season opens Oct. 26.

"Pau's going to have to take that role, maybe, early in the season," Coach Phil Jackson said. "It takes a lot of focus and energy. We're just preparing for the worst-case scenario, and we're hoping he's ready to step into that space if it's necessary.

"I don't think it's natural, but he's been at that level."
    http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/...7.30b1fe8.html

Default Re: Phil Jackson to make Gasol the first option early in the season?

Good move by Phil.

Near-Life Experience TheGreatDeraj's Avatar

Sounds good. I wonder if they will be playing more of the triangle with Gasol as the first option. Jackson seems to be working Artest in the post more as well. Hopefully this will boost Gasol's confidence and he will have a career year. Then when Kobe gets healthy, look out NBA

a LAKER & a DODGER fan Lakerlove420's Avatar

Heat|Lakers|Celtics

20+ shots for Pau and 13+ for Kobe ?

It would be stupid for Kobe to take 20+ shots in his current state, I'd expect the offense to run through Pau more initially if Kobe isn't near 100% early on. Especially with Bynum out as well, the touches will be there. That doesn't necessarily translate to significantly more shot attempts, but he'll get the initial pass in the offense more often.

Very good NBA starter

Based on the last two preseason games, I'd say Kobe was clearly the first option and I doubt that changes by opening night. He's still gonna score his 25-27 points a game, and Pau will never come close to that.

They'd be smart to make this move right now. Kobe can try to get his, but right now, with the state he is in, if the offense doesnt go through Pau, then they'll be hurting in most games. Kobe is NOT 100% and it shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks3
    Based on the last two preseason games, I'd say Kobe was clearly the first option and I doubt that changes by opening night. He's still gonna score his 25-27 points a game, and Pau will never come close to that.
    If Phil decides to limit Kobe to 25-30 minutes it very well could happen.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks3
    I'm not sure he'll start off the season dropping 25-27 every game, I think he'll end up averaging around that mark by the end of the year and back in the 28-30 range come playoff time, though.

Gasol clearly can't score that much, but he can produce more than he usually has to if it's needed.

Gasol w/o Bynum last year- 22.1 ppg, 13.1 rpg, 3.7 apg, 2.4 bpg, 55.9 FG% (15 games)

Gasol w/o Kobe last year- 21.4 ppg, 12.8 rpg, 4 apg, 2.8 bpg, 53.6 FG% (6-3 record)

Individually, Gasol plays better without Bynum, and even until he's 100%, Kobe will still be the guy who defenses worry about the most which will help Gasol. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gasol averaging 22-23 ppg early.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by KenneBell
    If Phil decides to limit Kobe to 25-30 minutes it very well could happen.
    Phil has already said that he plans to play Kobe his regular minutes--37-38 MPG.

Sweet, hes on my fantasy team this year.

owwwww

Kobe did a pretty good job of this at the start of the '07 season. He was hurting the team at one point playing hurt last year though. Why can't he just sit till he's fully healthy? Does he need to be playing to strengthen the knee or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    Kobe did a pretty good job of this at the start of the '07 season. He was hurting the team at one point playing hurt last year though. Why can't he just sit till he's fully healthy? Does he need to be playing to strengthen the knee or something?
    Yeah. He rested it all summer after getting it cleaned out, now he's just strengthening it by gradually increasing his play. He's looked better in every game.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    He did an unbelievable job of this in 2006-2007, how he led that team to a 26-13 start, particularly with Odom going down in the middle of that stretch is beyond me.