Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: if they raise the minimum age again. i'm investing in euro league

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    That's completely different. You pay tuition for a service, just like you pay Starface to clean your pool when it's dirty. If you feel they are "exploiting" you by charging too much, you can go to other schools.
    It's no different because the athletes too gets a service like I mentioned above.

I get an education in Finance, the athlete gets education in his sport.

I realize you're trolling, but the Euroleague is hardly a place to develop a young American basketball player. Those are professional teams trying to win games, and they don't give a fukc about an American prospect looking to kill time until he enters the NBA draft. Most American prospects, even guys like Wiggins, would be lucky to get 10mpg on a Euroleague squad.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    It's no different because the athletes too gets a service like I mentioned above.

I get an education in Finance, the athlete gets education in his sport.

When you are in school, you are only producing for the school the tuition that you pay. The athletes are producing far more value than the scholarship that they receive for the school.

Take Johnny Manziell for Texas A&M for example. He produced millions of dollars of revenue for the school, and was not allowed to see any of the profits.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I realize you're trolling, but the Euroleague is hardly a place to develop a young American basketball player. Those are professional teams trying to win games, and they don't give a fukc about an American prospect looking to kill time until he enters the NBA draft. Most American prospects, even guys like Wiggins, would be lucky to get 10mpg on a Euroleague squad.

Depends on the athlete. Lebron James had an $80 million contract from Nike the moment he finished high school. If there was an age restriction the year he finished school, I am pretty sure some crappy team in Europe would have paid him handsomely, and given him as many minutes that he wanted, to be on their team. Deron Williams got a team to do it during the lockout.

When you are in school, you are only producing for the school the tuition that you pay. The athletes are producing far more value than the scholarship that they receive for the school.

Take Johnny Manziell for Texas A&M for example. He produced millions of dollars of revenue for the school, and was not allowed to see any of the profits.
    Johnny also get more benefit than your average athlete such as being featured more which leads to more recognition. Who's to say which one produce more value?

I pay $20,000 per year for an education that leads me to a job that later pays me $100,000 if that.

Little Johnny is being featured as the star for free, learning heavily how to be a star player, get famous and later on get to the NFL getting paid much more than me.

Johnny also get more benefit than your average athlete such as being featured more which leads to more recognition. Who's to say which one produce more value?

I pay $20,000 per year for an education that leads me to a job that later pays me $100,000 if that.

Little Johnny is being featured as the star for free, learning heavily how to be a star player, get famous and later on get to the NFL getting paid much more than me.

I don't think you get it. He produced money THE LAST 2 YEARS for Texas A&M. The fame he received is irrelevant to the income produced.

Would you rather be the guy that invented the micro chip, and receive 0 dollars for it, or be a no name and get all the income?

I don't think you get it. He produced money THE LAST 2 YEARS for Texas A&M. The fame he received is irrelevant to the income produced.

Would you rather be the guy that invented the micro chip, and receive 0 dollars for it, or be a no name and get all the income?
    For the money he produced, he received a rare education on how to be a star and recognition. Only very low percentage of all student athletes have this opportunity.

It's just like how I pay for tuition and receive education. A rare and better education at Harvard would surely cost me more.

You've obviously never been to college if you think it would be "wasting your life." For a lot of people college is the best time of their lives.

For the money he produced, he received a rare education on how to be a star and recognition. Only very low percentage of all student athletes have this opportunity.

It's just like how I pay for tuition and receive education. A rare and better education at Harvard would surely cost me more.
    The value of the education is not equal to the value he produced. For the amount he produced he could have gotten that Harvard education instead of Texas A&M.

Schools aren't in business to teach people how to be stars. Texas A&M used him to make money, and paid for his classes and boarding, which are not equal to the value he produced.

The value of the education is not equal to the value he produced. For the amount he produced he could have gotten that Harvard education instead of Texas A&M.

Schools aren't in business to teach people how to be stars. Texas A&M used him to make money, and paid for his classes and boarding, which are not equal to the value he produced.
    Incorrect. Texas A&M football team has very limited spot. Perhaps only 1 star QB spot. Only one out of millions can enjoy the education and opportunity little Johnny get at that spot.

Also, who's to say the value of education I receive at Harvard is equal to the value I paid?

One Mizzou.

Quote Originally Posted by bmd
    It's not unfair to the athletes. It's like any other career. Some jobs require you to be a certain age, hold a certain degree, have X amount of experience, etc.

Think of it in that way.

NBA requires X years of experience before you can join the league.

And players don't have to go to college. There are other options.
    Exactly.

One Mizzou.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    You've obviously never been to college if you think it would be "wasting your life." For a lot of people college is the best time of their lives.

It was the best time of my life. If I had to do it again, I'd have even more fun.

One Mizzou.

He knew this was the way that the NCAA operates before signing his scholarship contract.

But on the flip side, that money that he produces also goes towards other scholarships in other sports, which also build up the University....Just as the big time stars before him built up the University.

One Mizzou.

Quote Originally Posted by redboy
    by raising the minimum age to join the NBA, players are allowed to improve their games, become more mature, and learn to work within a team environment. one of the reasons that basketball isn't as popular as football in America is that in football, the college game and the NFL are closely linked. yet, when you look at basketball fans, you'll have a ton of "college only" basketball fans and then some "NBA only" fans. in general, college ball and nba ball are two totally different animals. anybody that has played high school or college ball in their life before knows that the college game is a lot more sophisticated in the way that players move off the ball and how complicated some offenses/defenses in the ncaa are. in contrast, watching teams like okc play is like watching a 1v1 competition. raising the age limit can help develop more of a team brand of basketball while further allowing the casual fan to appreciate the college game.
    I'll never stop believing that 2+ years of good college ball is inferior to prep-2-pro. As Good as lebron and kobe turned out to be, they could have used some college experience.

Incorrect. Texas A&M football team has very limited spot. Perhaps only 1 star QB spot. Only one out of millions can enjoy the education and opportunity little Johnny get at that spot.

Also, who's to say the value of education I receive at Harvard is equal to the value I paid?

What do you think, they just picked his name out of a hat and gave him the QB position? He earned it. They recruited him, and he agreed to play there and signed the contract. What I am saying is the contract is not even nor fair. The value they give him is worth maybe $100k (how much does Texas A&M charge for tuition and room & board?), and the value he produced was in the millions. How do you see that as being fair.