Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
       

Default If "Steph is not 100%", wouldn't it be logical to discredit the title run last year?

i just noticed a poster on reddit make a pretty interesting point about the warriors situation now and last year.

If we're going to brush off GSW's recent performance with the "Steph is not at 100%" excuse, wouldn't it be logical to discredit their title run last year?

GSW faced teams with their critical players injured in EVERY round of the playoffs last year. There can't possibly be anyone justifying their championship while at the same time arguing that the only reason GSW lost recently is because Steph is "injured".

He seemed fine up until he choked these past 2 games... And then the excuses rolled in. Would this even be brought up if the series was 2-2?
    agree / disagree...?

Default Re: If "Steph is not 100%", wouldn't it be logical to discredit the title run last year?

you post this like this is not hinted at in every thread or already in the back of everyones mind

But it doesnt need the Curry angle, since hes fine, anyway... hes probably about 80% physically, which is where everyones at right now.

Default Re: If "Steph is not 100%", wouldn't it be logical to discredit the title run last year?

The difference is that Curry is not injured and last year, all of their opponents had legit injuries.
    The injury excuses came after OKC exposed.
    No one mentionned till OKC owned them in game 3.

it's pretty biased to use excuses when other players have played poorly because of injuries and gotten shit on. However, it's different to use an injury to excuse one player's bad play and to use an injury to claim "that cost us a championship". I haven't see one warrior fan use curry's injury to say okc was gifted a finals appearance etc which is essentially what people said last year. Every year, some contender usually multiple deals with an unfortunate injury.

To be fair none of the injured players the Warriors played last year were their team's focal piece and clear cut best player except maybe Conley.

I forgot who was even out for the Pelicans (Holiday?), but do people really see him changing that from a sweep to them winning?

Conley was back after 1 or 2 games, and admittedly not 100% but as I'll say here for Steph, no excuses. Tony Allen got injured but Kerr already neutralized him by putting Bogut on him.

We've seen time and time again that Patrick Beverly cannot guard star guards in the playoffs He hasn't stopped Lillard, Westbrook, CP3, or Curry. He wasn't changing the conference finals

The Cavs series is the one where I'll admit the Dubs lucked out a little. But would Love really make a difference? He's shooting like 35% this year and is consensus trash on this board; Draymond would shut him down and he'd be abused on defense. Kyrie's a measurable loss, but the Warriors won the first game with him there, before they started playing up to their level in the last 3 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno
    To be fair none of the injured players the Warriors played last year were their team's focal piece and clear cut best player except maybe Conley.

I forgot who was even out for the Pelicans (Holiday?), but do people really see him changing that from a sweep to them winning?

Conley was back after 1 or 2 games, and admittedly not 100% but as I'll say here for Steph, no excuses. Tony Allen got injured but Kerr already neutralized him by putting Bogut on him.

We've seen time and time again that Patrick Beverly cannot guard star guards in the playoffs He hasn't stopped Lillard, Westbrook, CP3, or Curry. He wasn't changing the conference finals

The Cavs series is the one where I'll admit the Dubs lucked out a little. But would Love really make a difference? He's shooting like 35% this year and is consensus trash on this board; Draymond would shut him down. Kyrie's a measurable loss, but the Warriors won the first game with him there, before they started playing up to their level in the last 3 games.
    Rockets missed Beverly and Motiejunas. They were both in their starting 5 during regular season.
    Conley and Allen's injuries were huge. The series was very close. It was 2-1 in favor of Grizzlies. With a 100% Conley, that series could have been Grizzlies' .
    Love was playing well in the playoffs before getting injured. In fact, with Kyrie, Love and Lebron together, the team was something like 30-3. Losing both of them was HUGE. The main reason why Warriors won the last 3 games was fatigue. Cavs didn't have any depth. They got tired.

didn't they beat the top 5 contenders for the MVP award last year?
    It's not like they were playing bums.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by livinglegend
    In fact, with Kyrie, Love and Lebron together, the team was something like 30-3. Losing both of them was HUGE. The main reason why Warriors won the last 3 games was fatigue. Cavs didn't have any depth. They got tired.

No. Lebron choked.

The only asterisk rings are from the lockout-shortened seasons.

The idea of discrediting a championship because of injury is a slippery slope, because it can be used to discredit lots of titles.

Baylor goes down in '65... Celtics beat Lakers in the Finals. *

Worthy goes down in '83... 76ers beat Lakers in the Finals. *

Magic goes down in '89... Pistons beat the Lakers in the Finals. *

Nowitski goes down in '03... Spurs go on to win the title. *

Joe Johnson goes down in '05... Spurs go on to win the title. *

Yao Ming goes down in '09... Lakers win in 7 games, and go on to win the title. *

I could continue, but you get the point. At the end of the day, nobody cares about excuses. You either win the title, or you don't.

Golden State is still stacked which makes it ever worse for Curry excuse makers.

Klay scored 19 in the 3rd. Lebron level ability to carry a team and he's the sidekick. No excuses.

   

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    you post this like this is not hinted at in every thread or already in the back of everyones mind

But it doesnt need the Curry angle, since hes fine, anyway... hes probably about 80% physically, which is where everyones at right now.
    or maybe i post it deliberately because of such reasons.

also, i take it that you're not a maths or logic guy. the alleged 70% knee strength is in addition to the "80% proportion of where he and everyone else would be at this point." meaning the total health would be even lower. that's not good for him or the warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    The idea of discrediting a championship because of injury is a slippery slope, because it can be used to discredit lots of titles.

Baylor goes down in '65... Celtics beat Lakers in the Finals. *

Worthy goes down in '83... 76ers beat Lakers in the Finals. *

Magic goes down in '89... Pistons beat the Lakers in the Finals. *

Nowitski goes down in '03... Spurs go on to win the title. *

Joe Johnson goes down in '05... Spurs go on to win the title. *

Yao Ming goes down in '09... Lakers win in 7 games, and go on to win the title. *

I could continue, but you get the point. At the end of the day, nobody cares about excuses. You either win the title, or you don't.
    very much agreed.

in life, you play the hand that is dealt you against the hands that everyone else at the table is dealt. asterisks get thrown around a lot, but rarely do i agree that they are valid. for example, i would certainly not give the NBA-shortened seasons asterisks, but would probably give it to a likely steroid abuser and equipment cheater such as barry bonds.

OTOH, i think the OP has a point: if you're going to make a big deal about curry being hurt this year, then you better get ready to hear the same about last year.
    Last edited by gigantes; 05-25-2016 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SexSymbol
    didn't they beat the top 5 contenders for the MVP award last year?
    It's not like they were playing bums.
    Yes, because the game is played individually...

You're an idiot.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    i just noticed a poster on reddit make a pretty interesting point about the warriors situation now and last year.

agree / disagree...?
    You mean Steph '0 FMVP Votes' Curry?

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    or maybe i post it deliberately because of such reasons.

also, i take it that you're not a maths or logic guy. the alleged 70% knee strength is in addition to the "80% proportion of where he and everyone else would be at this point." meaning the total health would be even lower. that's not good for him or the warriors.

very much agreed.

in life, you play the hand that is dealt you against the hands that everyone else at the table is dealt. asterisks get thrown around a lot, but rarely do i agree that they are valid. for example, i would certainly not give the NBA-shortened seasons asterisks, but would probably give it to a likely steroid abuser and equipment cheater such as barry bonds.

OTOH, i think the OP has a point: if you're going to make a big deal about curry being hurt this year, then you better get ready to hear the same about last year.
    Lol, the knee is fine homie, thought you may be adressing the elbow or whatever. It was a sprain, chill.