Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: FYI, yes, Curry is indeed having the greatest offensive season ever

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    When we say GOAT offensive season we are talking about impact. No disrespect to Wilt, but in his 50ppg season did his team have the best offensive team ever? It's not the individual stats, it's the way he has broken the league. The guy is just too good at 3 pointers.
    There is that, but if we're talking impact, we have to discuss what Magic's impact was on those Laker teams (87 Lakers particularly), Wilt's 67 & 68 impact on the 76ers, Kareem's impact on the 71 & 72 Bucks, and so on.

I get that Curry is having a possibly historic impact, so he's in the conversation now. But there have been great offensive seasons before where defenses didn't have an answer. That's why the Pistons came up with the Jordan rules. Or how Wilt rewrote the record books in the 60s. Or Magic led the greatest fast break teams of all time.

Jerry West had a 31.2/7.5 season on 49.7 FG%.

West had a long range shot, but there was no 3 pointer for him to take advantage of. He was like Curry in being able to play the PG position while scoring a lot with excellent shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Check out the thread jongib made. Several players have had more offensive impact than Curry with the basic formula of points + assists.

Per36 means jack to me. While it's got some merit and is impressive to be an efficient spark plug, you produce and help your team only in the minutes you play, not the minutes you don't.
    Points + assists is all good and well, but Curry is leading one of the best teams ever, and is blowing out teams, and able to sit out 4th quarters. It isn't anything about being an efficient spark plug. It is about being so good in the time you play, that the games usually aren't close by the time the 3rd quarter comes around.

Curry has played 36, 37 and 38 mpg in seasons... He obviously can play, so it isn't just about being a spark plug.
    We aren't talking about Vinnie Johnson ffs... lol. Dude is the best player on his team and leading the league in scoring by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    Shooting wise. Arguably not overall on the offensive end, for things like offensive rebounding like I've said put into consideration. I also doubt Curry could score at the same volume with as good of a percentage as Wilt. As Ive said to other posters in this thread.

This is an INCREDIBLE season though. Watching him is beautiful, he starts on my all time team with ho he'd distort the D.

He's taking advantage of the 3 like I always hoped it would be, got a lot of respect for the man
    You're assuming that his efficiency drops off... When in fact the 4th quarters he has played have been his most efficient. He gets better as the game goes. These are all facts. His PER and TS% are something like 45 and 80% in the 4th quarter.
    Not to mention, he is taking more shots, more 3 pointers, and his efficiency has gone up in both. He is literally getting more efficient as he shoots more. Will this be the case if he jacks up another 7 or 8 shots? Probably not. You round off at some point. But to say he wouldn't be doing it at a better percentage than Wilt? He would. Wilt was shooting in the 54-55% TS% range his whole career when scoring at a similar rate to Curry (or even less actually). Curry is shooting at 69% TS this season. He'd have to shoot horrifically for it to drop even down to 60% from this amount of shots he takes now. Then take into account that he'd always be a 90% free throw shooter, and it is hard to imagine.

Take this season for what it is. One of, if not the best offensive seasons ever.

Incase you didn't see, Curry is 18th on the seasons I've added so far, but he's likely not even top 20 in this stat. I've yet to add more seasons of Magic, Robertson, and possibly a few others who are higher. But again, this has to be put into perspective with everything else too... Like Currys percentages, minutes, how he can maintain that efficiency with more minutes and volume, offensive rebounding etc etc..

People acting like "this is case closed BREHS, Curry deh bess" are frustrating lol
    I'd be far more interested in seeing a list like this based on per36 minute numbers. It has to be taken into context given that Curry is only sitting for the pure fact that he is destroying teams so early, and we've never really seen anything like this. We know he can play the minutes, since he has earlier in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Points + assists is all good and well, but Curry is leading one of the best teams ever, and is blowing out teams, and able to sit out 4th quarters. It isn't anything about being an efficient spark plug. It is about being so good in the time you play, that the games usually aren't close by the time the 3rd quarter comes around.

Curry has played 36, 37 and 38 mpg in seasons... He obviously can play, so it isn't just about being a spark plug.
    We aren't talking about Vinnie Johnson ffs... lol. Dude is the best player on his team and leading the league in scoring by a long shot.

You're assuming that his efficiency drops off... When in fact the 4th quarters he has played have been his most efficient. He gets better as the game goes. These are all facts. His PER and TS% are something like 45 and 80% in the 4th quarter.
    Not to mention, he is taking more shots, more 3 pointers, and his efficiency has gone up in both. He is literally getting more efficient as he shoots more. Will this be the case if he jacks up another 7 or 8 shots? Probably not. You round off at some point. But to say he wouldn't be doing it at a better percentage than Wilt? He would. Wilt was shooting in the 54-55% TS% range his whole career when scoring at a similar rate to Curry (or even less actually). Curry is shooting at 69% TS this season. He'd have to shoot horrifically for it to drop even down to 60% from this amount of shots he takes now. Then take into account that he'd always be a 90% free throw shooter, and it is hard to imagine.

Take this season for what it is. One of, if not the best offensive seasons ever.
    I have to get off for about an hour, so I don't have time to respond or read everytjing..But after a skim it seems like you're not accounting his 4th quarter success as due to the fact he's on limited minutes. Not that it's definitely the case, but It should be put into consideration...Instead of just endless exponential growth

Side note, I want to make a thread to see peoples thoughts about Wilt possibly being overworked, as in a coach thibs effect. Obviously it was smaller sample sizes, team game etc etc etc...But it might have something to do with the "drop". Which isn't as significant at first glance, ontop of still BEAST stats.

I'll get back to you though, unless someone else does better than I could

Very good NBA starter

I'd be far more interested in seeing a list like this based on per36 minute numbers. It has to be taken into context given that Curry is only sitting for the pure fact that he is destroying teams so early, and we've never really seen anything like this. We know he can play the minutes, since he has earlier in his career.
    Exactly and the reason people are saying goat offensive regular season is because the efficiency he putting up for a 30 ppg season. His ts% is like 70. Mj most efficient season while scoring that much was 60 ts%. What he doing is absurd.

Banned

got to love all the old people so afraid of letting their nostalgia go

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    Exactly and the reason people are saying goat offensive regular season is because the efficiency he putting up for a 30 ppg season. His ts% is like 70. Mj most efficient season while scoring that much was 60 ts%. What he doing is absurd.
    It is

But giving credit for minutes he's not playing with stats like "per36" isn't truthful.

Someone say with a straight face they wouldn't be just as amazed to see a Tiny Archibald in this league averaging 34 points on 49% from the field (that was with no 3's so maybe 35+ points today) WHILE ALSO dishing 11.4 assists per game.

He did it on 46 minutes. You expect people to just be like "oh well, not as impressive cause 46 minutes". Hell no. If that was happening today people would be going nuts every game he played just like they are Curry.

It's a special sight to see a spark plug like Curry. So many points in so little minutes. However, it was also monumental what some other players did in their own way. We can enjoy what Curry is doing without getting tunnel vision, we don't need to compare everyone to him based on "per36" - that only ever would favor Curry.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 01-26-2016 at 08:25 PM.

It is

But giving credit for minutes he's not playing with stats like "per36" isn't truthful.

Someone say with a straight face they wouldn't be just as amazed to see a Tiny Archibald in this league averaging 34 points on 49% from the field (that was with no 3's so maybe 35+ points today) WHILE ALSO dishing 11.4 assists per game.

He did it on 46 minutes. You expect people to just be like "oh well, not as impressive cause 46 minutes". Hell no. If that was happening today people would be going nuts every game he played just like they are Curry.

It's a special sight to see a spark plug like Curry. So many points in so little minutes. However, it was also monumental what some other players did in their own way. We can enjoy what Curry is doing without getting tunnel vision, we don't need to compare everyone to him based on "per36" - that only ever would favor Curry.
    it would be, but he would never do it. guards back then were weak as ****

It is

He did it on 46 minutes. You expect people to just be like "oh well, not impressive cause 46 minutes". Hell no. If that was happening today people would be going nuts every game he played just like they are Curry.

Lol... So instead you want to penalise him. Spark plug lol. Keep trying to make it stick.

Yes, per36 is a viable stat in this case. The only reason he isn't playing it is because he is so good that he gets to rest.

No one has been this good over their first 33 minutes on court. That is the reason his minutes are low. Because he has been so much better than everyone else he blows other teams out.

Lol... So instead you want to penalise him. Spark plug lol. Keep trying to make it stick.

Yes, per36 is a viable stat in this case. The only reason he isn't playing it is because he is so good that he gets to rest.

No one has been this good over their first 33 minutes on court. That is the reason his minutes are low. Because he has been so much better than everyone else he blows other teams out.
    The offense is also catered around him to put up this output in those amount of minutes. The other guys, not so much. What cavs is saying isn't bringing him down IMO.. he's not using spark plug in a Nate Robinson like sense (obviously lol)

I have a hard time believing he could maintain this efficiency averaging 40 minutes per game with more shots, not thatbhe couldn't play that much..It would effect this rating a bit...But he doesn't have to, so it's hard ranking it

He's GOAT scorer in some ways, but overall IDT hes there yet. Per 36 is raising him up just a tad, while lowering their "advantage" too much. Is there a middle ground we can figure out?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    When we say GOAT offensive season we are talking about impact. No disrespect to Wilt, but in his 50ppg season did his team have the best offensive team ever? It's not the individual stats, it's the way he has broken the league. The guy is just too good at 3 pointers.
    Nothing but pure hyperbole. Did they cancel the season and award the Warriors the ring already? I didn't get the memo.

If he has broken the league, you should bet your life savings on the Warriors, since they can't lose.

Very good NBA starter

The offense is also catered around him to put up this output in those amount of minutes. The other guys, not so much. What cavs is saying isn't bringing him down IMO.. he's not using spark plug in a Nate Robinson like sense (obviously lol)

I have a hard time believing he could maintain this efficiency averaging 40 minutes per game with more shots, not thatbhe couldn't play that much..It would effect this rating a bit...But he doesn't have to, so it's hard ranking it

He's GOAT scorer in some ways, but overall IDT hes there yet. Per 36 is raising him up just a tad, while lowering their "advantage" too much. Is there a middle ground we can figure out?
    Maybe 40 mins his efficiency would drop but 36 mins i doubt it drops much.

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    Maybe 40 mins his efficiency would drop but 36 mins i doubt it drops much.
    Over the course of an entire nba season it might, but not much. Finding out their per 40 might be a good middleground...But it's giving him stats/an efficiency he didn't actually do, while lowering what the other two did.

This shit isn't easy, so I don't mean to knock Curry. I'm known as a Wilt stan but I'd like to think of myself as sensible/reasonable haha

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 32jazz
    Era is the most important argument when knuckleheads start speaking about Greatest ever.

Rules are different.

Why not just compare peers?
    So Jordan is the GOAT? He's just the best in his era and dominated his peers?