Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default People bring up race too often.

I was just reading an article on Grantland about Will Ferrell. In it, the writer keeps saying how Will Ferrell was representative of the ''Shrinking White Guy.'' This symbol of white males, goofy, tall, whatever else he imagines this group to be.

Before that, there was the Walking Dead (Spoilers from a couple of weeks ago incoming). --- When Noah died, people kept mentioning how the show keeps killing off its black characters. And whenever there is a long scene featuring only black characters, people bring up how strange or different it is.

It is cool and hip for white people to do this. They are always like, ''the black characters have so much depth.'' Or, ''the white father is X.'' Everything is brought up in terms of race so often. It really is annoying.

Racism, and race differences, are definitely things that have an impact on the world. But it is brought up way too much at this point. I feel like I hardly notice race very often, except when other people keep bringing it up. I was not thinking of Noah as a black character, only when reviewers and commentators kept referring to him as one.

I was doing some youth basketball coaching (humble brag) over the winter, and there was this older black guy who was also coaching. We talked and got along well, I was never like... oh, this is a black person that I am talking to. He was just another coach.

Anyway, I wish I had kept a little notepad of all the times that people have went out of their way to mention someones race. Does this annoy anyone else?

Hunger for Neurosis DEADPOOLZOMBIE's Avatar

Default Re: People bring up race too often.

Thanks for the spoilers asshole.

Banned

you have never been exposed to the animalistic ways of NI[COLOR="Black"]G[/COLOR]GERS

Local High School Star

shut cha white ass up

Quote Originally Posted by Fawker
    you have never been exposed to the animalistic ways of NI[COLOR="Black"]G[/COLOR]GERS

Local High School Star HitandRun Reggie's Avatar

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fawker

I feel the same way. Where I am from you don't really see that barrier between white and black so when I came to the states everybody use to do that. It was so weird at first.

Eh, it's not brought up enough. People routinely are having their lives ruined and ended because of racism.

It's the national neurosis. A combination of personal feelings of insecurity and a masochistic guilt-complex.

It doesn't help that the policies pursued over the past half century could only be divisive, and a stoke to racial tensions. Young black males found it easier to find employment when they faced official discrimination than now, when they have affirmative action programs. Talk about irony.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

One race. Human race.

Dunking on everybody in the park The Iron Sheik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    It's the national neurosis. A combination of personal feelings of insecurity and a masochistic guilt-complex.

It doesn't help that the policies pursued over the past half century could only be divisive, and a stoke to racial tensions. Young black males found it easier to find employment when they faced official discrimination than now, when they have affirmative action programs. Talk about irony.
    what policies? civil rights act of 1964?

and affirmative action is not meant to procure jobs. it's not meant to secure a place anywhere. it's not even meant to help just black people. it doesn't put minorities ahead of white people. no law does that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    Eh, it's not brought up enough. People routinely are having their lives ruined and ended because of racism.
    Exactly, it's the driver of so many economic, political, entertainment, educational, etc. issues; it's most likely under, and not over stated.

One word:insecurity