Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Giving "beggars" money

In PR sometimes they may use needles infested with AIDS so you give them money

My friend and I one time almost got robbed. But he knew martial arts and almost broke his hand.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    Funny thing is, if I knew they would use it for food or other stuff I could live with that. But most of them use it to buy booze and/or drugs. I am not going to pay for someone addiction...
    Hard to say if it is most of them or not without some stats (I have not looked at any stats), but I understand the idea of wanting to know that your money is going to the right place (I'd want to know if even 10% use it on drugs that the money I am spending is not on that 10%). One of the most likely places I will spend money on somebody is if they are standing outside of McDonalds specifically asking for food money. I'll just straight up ask them what 1 item they would like off the dollar menu and bring it out to them.

Another good strategy that I saw from somebody else is when somebody claims that they are part of some church rehab group looking for money, ask for their organization (and their name if they get some sort of specific credit) and donate directly to that organization rather than directly to the person so that you know where the money is going.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    In PR sometimes they may use needles infested with AIDS so you give them money
    Damn, if somebody came up to me with a needle, that would freak me out way more than a knife or something. A knife I can make a move to get away and they have to get me just right to do major damage. I needle could nick me in the arm and f*ck me over forever.

exercise profits littl MadeFromDust's Avatar

I always think of that one verse in the Bible, saying "When I was hungry, you fed me. When I was a stranger you invited me in", etc. and think what if this is the one I shouldn't pass up? I don't remember giving anything most of the first few years of me driving (mostly encounter beggars at intersections), but then there was a time I gave whatever I had on me. But then I heard from local news and interviews with PD showing how most of these people in my town were just scamming so I stopped. I even started getting pissed off whenever anyone even took one step towards me at a gas station because I knew what they were gonna do. I told off a couple mofos. Then I saw the news where people were getting jacked and mugged at gas stations and that added to my anger. The dilemma is just excruciating for me: Give to those who need it; Don't give to scammers; Get ready to beat some ass if jacker; Can't tell the difference ugh.

Once in awhile though I feel so fkkn bad thinking I passed up someone who really needed help. So I give to food supply charities anonymously because I hate knowing that anyone would go hungry, especially children.

College star

Hmm..

I don't offer these people anything, simply because no one 'helped' me when I needed it. These people made their choice, as dumb as it was.

You get out what you put in, period.

Fire Dwane Casey

This may sound terrible but when it comes to beggars I judge the book by its cover. If he/she looks like they're in bad shape (old ripped up clothes, looks/smells like they haven't showered for weeks, f*cked up teeth) I'll feel sympathy and spare a few bucks. If the person looks like your average joe I'll tell them to go get a job because I think back on the adversity my parents had to handle coming to a new country not knowing a lick of English and working hard to provide for the family.

I also don't know how they do it in the US or other countries but here in Canada, with all the help the government provides it's really hard to become truly "homeless"

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar
    I didn't just f*ck that old bitch. I raped her.
    dat no teeth blowjob............

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Depends. There are beggars in my old neighborhood ive known 25 years. Not homeless....but never fail to ask for a dollar. These are old guys(crackheads) who were in sunday school under my grandma in the 60s and shit.

So it isnt really a random guy thing.

But ive been known to give to anyone. Guy with a "Hungry for food hungry for work" sign on my route home for like a week....I bought him a whopper combo from burgerking...with a pie...

He asked if I also had money so he could do some laundry...

I rarely carry cash therefore I never give them money.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

just to add to the conversation, when it comes to people with kids, ive always been one to give. but interestingly enough, when my work moved to a new office, the local sheriff's dept came in to answer questions, and since no one really had questions for him, he started talking to us about people who ask for money.

he said that a lot of them work in groups and take turns sitting at a freeway exit, in front of a store, etc asking for money and that many of them have children that they trade off for days they are "begging" Crazy, i know, but he assured us it was true, which is pretty heart breaking for a kid to be subjected to.