Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Top Ten European Players

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rook
    Russia is in Europe....ALL OF IT. You are either in or you are out. Find me another state/country that is part of two continents. Russia has been part of Europe for hundreds of years.....maybe you have been frozen for thousands of years? However, they are not an actual member of the EU.
    You're wrong.

European Continent

Europe is geologically and geographically a peninsula or subcontinent, forming the westernmost part of Eurasia. Europe is conventionally considered a continent; this is more of a cultural distinction than a geographic one. Europe is bounded to the north by the Arctic Ocean, to the west by the Atlantic Ocean, to the south by the Mediterranean Sea, and to the east its boundary is culturally determined and unclear.

However, the Ural mountains are considered by some to be a geographical and tectonic landmark separating Europe and Asia.

So
    When considered a continent, Europe is the world's second-smallest continent in terms of area, with an area of 10,600,000 km
    Last edited by Chalkmaze; 03-24-2007 at 11:48 PM.

Learning to shoot layups Big Rook's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chalkmaze
    Yeah, because Russia isn't Europe either.

Dude you are calling me wrong. Russia politically is a European country. Not Eurasian..... European.

Every Russian person I know considers themselves European........not Eurasian. Don't believe me contact the Kremlin and tell them that Russia should get the word out they are part of Asia, b/c we all know that would fly and increase the chance that Russia would accede into the EU.

You can't try to become a member of the European Union if you are not European.

Only thing I was "wrong" about was the continent/sub continent stuff.

Bargnani is way better than Okur that is why I left Okur off.

Banned

Russia- the Russian Federation is a country that stretches over a vast expanse of Asia and Europe.

http://ec.europa.eu/comm/external_re...ntro/index.htm

Russia is an important partner with which there is considerable interest to engage and build a strategic partnership. Russia is the EU’s largest neighbor, brought even closer to the EU by the 2004 enlargement.

The EU’s main objective is to engage with Russia to build a genuine strategic partnership, founded on common interests and shared values to which both sides are committed in the relevant international organisations such as the UN, Council of Europe, and OSCE, as well as with each other in the bilateral Partnership and Cooperation Agreement

The EU has a strong and genuine interest to work together with Russia to foster political, social and economic stability in Russia, in the region and worldwide. The EU and Russia are already cooperating on a wide range of issues, including the modernisation of Russia’s economy and its integration into the world economy, security issues, international issues, as well as "soft" security threats for example in the fields of justice and home affairs, environment and nuclear safety

The formalisation of bilateral relations between the EU and individual partner countries has been achieved through the negotiation of Partnership and Co-operation Agreements (PCAs), now in force with ten of the Eastern European and Central Asian countries.
    Last edited by Chalkmaze; 03-25-2007 at 07:52 PM.

Banned

HAHAHA... MAYBE one day... you are just a Raptors homer though, obviously.

Okur's stats this year PPG
    RPG
    APG
    EFF
    + 18.09

Couple of your guys on the list are quite a ways off stat-wise.. Not to mention that Okur is probably the most clutch guy in the league right now.

Defense? Whats that? The Italian's Avatar

How is Bargnani bette then Okur? Okur is an all star, Bargnani isn't close to that level yet.

Please...........CHALKMAZE stop with the education....I have a university degree.....and I majored in politics.

You probably went online and started to research everything about the EU, Russia and Asia when YOU stated that "Russia isn't Europe either." Yah you are right......if it's all the same............Italy isn't Europe either and neither is Germany. Thanks Tips.......no one knew that.

Great cutting and pasting, you proved nothing.
    I would also like to thank you for informing me about the EU and Russia's strong political, economic and social ties. This statement amounts to little more than political rhetoric i.e) the U.S wants to foster strong political, economic and social ties with IRAQ. It is prudent for most diplomatic countries, polities etc., or those posing as ones like the U.S., to try and create these ties. At the very least it looks good in the newspaper, or on CNN(Chicken Noodle News). What is your point.........are you trying to tell me that because they have ties and agreements in place Russia is a member of the EU? If you are...you are wrong. Russia has not fulfilled the Copenhagen criteria and is therefore not a member state.

And back to my whole point originally about geography and politics and what constitutes what is European, Asia, Eurasia. Politics, culture and history trump geography when it comes down to an identity of a state. An a perfect example of this is Cyprus, which i might add is a member state of the EU.
    Various definitions of Europe exist so that whether a country is "European" is "subject to political assessment." There has been some debate about this in the case of Cyprus - the island is geographically Asian; but extensive historical, cultural, and political ties to other European countries lead most to consider it as a European country in non-geographical contexts.

You want a lesson in cutting and pasting.........here you go. There has been much controversy about whether Turkey is a European country, on the basis that only 3% of its territory lies in geographic Europe (west of Istanbul). Some observers have reflected that the perceived reluctance of many existing member states to proceed with the accession of Turkey to the EU is based on doubts over whether a country with more than 90% Muslim population can follow what many perceive to be the Christian basis of a "European" identity. There are also many other economic and political arguments that have been posed against Turkish membership, and although the EU formally started accession negotiations with Ankara in 2005, it is uncertain whether these talks will ever lead to full membership. GOOD CUTTING AND PASTING. Did you get the point.... Turkey's geography is not the issue in becoming a memebr state of the EU so much as it's cultural or religious difference i.e) high muslim poulation

WHO's THE HOMER NOW HOMER Do not try and get smart with a smart ass.

Hopefully, CHALKMAZE you will stop trying to educate me with your cutting and pasting and if you are going to cut and paste atleast prove a point.

TO EVERYONE ELSE on here I apologize for taking up so much space, but I did not appreciate CHALKMAZE and his personal attack on me, nor his thoughtless cutting and pasting

Okur maybe is better statistically this season, but he is not a better player than Bargnani and the stats will show that next season Bargnani has improved in most categories the past 20 games or so and will only get better and quicker b/c he will shed himself of some weight from his appendix.

Banned

Personal attacks? Because I disagreed with you?:rollingeyes: You've even agreed that you were at least wrong to an extent after I corrected you. Give me a ****ing break dude. You think because you have some Mickey Mouse degree that it somehow makes you Mr. Know It All end of discussion? All it seems to have done is bloated your ego and taught you how to talk out of your ass like a politician. I've reread the posts, and there was a little miscommunication on both of our parts I was just trying to clarify a few things and see where you were coming from. ****it though, you're not even worth my time and I hope we never run across each others paths again, may your time on Earth be short.

================================================== ====
    http://worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/asia/ru.htm

The Russian landmass west of the Ural Mountains (shown above in a slightly darker shade of green) is referred to as European Russia by most educational atlases and geography experts. It is not a separate country, but rather called that because of its political, cultural and geographical blendings with Europe.

Last edited by Chalkmaze; 03-26-2007 at 11:03 PM.

Dude you said I was wrong, you called me a homer, when does it become personal?......the fact that you keep posting these maps shows me that obviously my point is lost on you. There is room for interpretation on this issue and the points you made and referenced speak of that.
    Europe is bounded to the north by the Arctic Ocean, to the west by the Atlantic Ocean, to the south by the Mediterranean Sea, and to the east its boundary is culturally determined and unclear.
    However, the Ural mountains are considered by some to be a geographical and tectonic landmark separating Europe and Asia.
    Various definitions of Europe exist so that whether a country is "European" is "subject to political assessment." There has been some debate about this in the case of Cyprus - the island is geographically Asian; but extensive historical, cultural, and political ties to other European countries lead most to consider it as a European country in non-geographical contexts.

You call me a "know it all" but yet I admitted that I was mistaken on some points. When I mentioned that Russia was not a member of the EU and never would become a member if it were not a European country, you grabbed a blurb off an EU website to presumably try and prove me wrong.

The bottom line is there is room for interpretation, something you do not seem to acknowledge. My interpretation is not the same as yours, just as you will find people east of the Ural mountains who may consider themselves European as opposed to Eurasian or Asian and vice versa. It's all relative.

But I am optimistic and hopeful that these educational atlases and geography experts that you so regulary reference can put an end to the "disagreements" that occur daily among Israeli and Palestinian people. These experts can just google a map of the land they are fighting over and tell them "look at the map." Peace will undoubtedly prevail. If only it were that easy.

May you live a long and happy life.
    Last edited by Big Rook; 03-27-2007 at 06:36 PM.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by laker4life
    I guess it should be "top 10 international players"?
    If thats the case, I would Yao Ming in my line up.
    1. Yao Ming (China)
    2. Tony Parker (France)
    3. Pau Gasol (Spain)
    4. Dirk Nowitzki (Germany)
    5. Steve Nash ( Canada)
    6. Manu Ginobili ( Argentina)
    7. Boris Diaw ( France)
    8. Leandro Barbosa ( Brasil)
    9. Scortsinitis ( Greece) [Just knew him at the WBC, who defeated USA] played center
    10. Sarunas Jasikevicius (Lithuania)

Alternates:
    11. Kleiza ( Lithuania and Denver Nuggets)
    12. Peja Stojakovic ( Yugoslavia)
    13. Andrei Kirilenko ( Russia)
    14. Jorge Garbajosa ( Spain)
    15. Andres Nocioni ( Argentina)
    16. Papalucas (Greece) [Just knew him at the WBC, who defeated USA] played point guard

Men, there are a lot of great players out there. It's kinda tough to choose who are the best. Well, this is my complete line up.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tigas
    If thats the case, I would Yao Ming in my line up.
    1. Yao Ming (China)
    2. Tony Parker (France)
    3. Pau Gasol (Spain)
    4. Dirk Nowitzki (Germany)
    5. Steve Nash ( Canada)
    6. Manu Ginobili ( Argentina)
    7. Boris Diaw ( France)
    8. Leandro Barbosa ( Brasil)
    9. Scortsinitis ( Greece) [Just knew him at the WBC, who defeated USA] played center
    10. Sarunas Jasikevicius (Lithuania)

Alternates:
    11. Kleiza ( Lithuania and Denver Nuggets)
    12. Peja Stojakovic ( Yugoslavia)
    13. Andrei Kirilenko ( Russia)
    14. Jorge Garbajosa ( Spain)
    15. Andres Nocioni ( Argentina)
    16. Papalucas (Greece) [Just knew him at the WBC, who defeated USA] played point guard

Men, there are a lot of great players out there. It's kinda tough to choose who are the best. Well, this is my complete line up.
    Nash better than Gasol and Parker.

Banned

Dude you said I was wrong, you called me a homer, when does it become personal?......the fact that you keep posting these maps shows me that obviously my point is lost on you. There is room for interpretation on this issue and the points you made and referenced speak of that.

You call me a "know it all" but yet I admitted that I was mistaken on some points. When I mentioned that Russia was not a member of the EU and never would become a member if it were not a European country, you grabbed a blurb off an EU website to presumably try and prove me wrong.

The bottom line is there is room for interpretation, something you do not seem to acknowledge. My interpretation is not the same as yours, just as you will find people east of the Ural mountains who may consider themselves European as opposed to Eurasian or Asian and vice versa. It's all relative.

But I am optimistic and hopeful that these educational atlases and geography experts that you so regulary reference can put an end to the "disagreements" that occur daily among Israeli and Palestinian people. These experts can just google a map of the land they are fighting over and tell them "look at the map." Peace will undoubtedly prevail. If only it were that easy.

May you live a long and happy life.
    Lol, there is European Russia and Asian Russia, they are part of the EU because part of their country is considered Europe.

Saw a basketball once

Oh yeah, I forgot. Thanks for reminding me skan72. Today, Steve Nash is the best point guard in the world. I think I'll rank him behind Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas and John Stockton.

Learning to shoot layups gaydad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chalkmaze
    So parts of Russia are in it, but the majority is in Asia (Russian Federation)
    Russia is completely in Europe; the russian Empire (a.k.a. Russian Federation) extends largely in Asia, but that is comprised of different ethnics than Russians. Besides, I believe the majority of the Russian Federation's population resides in Europe, desert acres of tundra count for nothing in this regard...

Decent playground baller simasu01's Avatar

no russia is NOT in europe. neither is turkey. and turkey might become a part of eu for no reason. just about everyone who lives in europe and had business with russians hates russians so they will never have a chance to be a part of eu because there is plenty of countriesw in europe that arent in eu such as norway and switzerland. if russia is in europe then why isnt china? parts of russia are farther east then china right? morocco should be europe as well because its right under spain so dont even bull**** about russia being in europe and the top 15 true Euro players is

1. Dirk Nowitzki
    2. Tony Parker
    3. Pau Gasol
    4. Luol Deng - Grew up in England has an English passport
    5. Andrea Bargnani
    6. Ben Gordon - born in London
    7. Boris Diaw
    8. Sarunas Jasikevicius
    9. Jose Calderon
    10. Rudy Fernandez
    11. Marco Belinelli
    12. Mickael Pietrus
    13. Peja Stojakovic - would have him higher but he needs to get out of the wheelchair and start playing again
    14. Andris Biedrins
    15. Jorge Garbajosa

honorable: Linas Kleiza, Sergio Rodriguez, Marc Gasol, Petteri Koponen, Francisco Elson, Rasho Nesterovic
    Kobe should also be considered here because he grew up in Italy
    many more will come in such as Fran Vasquez, Juan Carlos Navarro, hopefully Florent Pietrus, some players from Lithuania and Latvia. Also some greeks and more Spaniards as well as some guys from France and former Yugo lands

How about M.r US virgin island Tim Duncan ?