Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: the greatest choke: 1969

Quote Originally Posted by Asukal

This is where you show your true colors. Russell was horrible in scoring, those 2 pathetic post moves he showed was cringe worthy. But he wasn't useless, far from it actually, he played great defense. He was setting picks, getting rebounds, contesting shots.

Of course since those things don't get measured by stats the stan in you will say he didn't do anything.
    Russell was hiding with his 5 personal fouls, contested practically nothing, and only had 2 rebounds the entire quarter. Chamberlain had as many rebounds, on two straight possessions, with an injured leg, as Russell did the entire quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Russell was hiding with his 5 personal fouls, contested practically nothing, and only had 2 rebounds the entire quarter. Chamberlain had as many rebounds, on two straight possessions, with an injured leg, as Russell did the entire quarter.
    Yeah let's act like he didn't block elgin baylor and contested a couple of lay ups by the lakers. Tell me why the Lakers didn't go to Wilt everytime during that 4th Q when Russell was basically one foul away from being ejected?

lebrons grandfather

Yeah let's act like he didn't block elgin baylor and contested a couple of lay ups by the lakers. Tell me why the Lakers didn't go to Wilt everytime during that 4th Q when Russell was basically one foul away from being ejected?
    I covered that in first post on the topic...

3. The incompetence of "The Butcher" Van Kolff was on display early and often, not only throughout the entire series, but evidenced in the 4th quarter footage. Early on Russell picked up his 5th personal foul, and the Lakers immediately went into Wilt, who went right around the "matador" defense of Russell (ever notice how Russell quit playing defense with five fouls BTW), for an easy lay-in. Instead of milking that strategy, VBK went back to the shot-jacking of Baylor.
    VBK cost the Lakers that series...plain-and-simple. LA would have been better off with no coach at all, than with the "Butcher" Van Breda Kolff.

NBA rookie of the year

BTW, the greatest Finals "choke job" by a Top-10 player was Kobe in the '04 Finals, when he single-handedly took his "heavily-favored" Lakers down in flames with one of the worst shooting performances in Finals' history.

And his '08 Finals against the Celtics has to rank right there, as well.
    Haha, this is beyond laughable.

Wilt definitely choked and say whatever you want about his so called injury but those FT's were so awful.

Game 4 of the '69 finals the Lakers and Wilt lost with 1 point against the Celtics, Wilt choked big time from the FT-line and only made 2 out of 11 FT's.

In game 7 of the '69 finals the Lakers and Wilt lost with 2 points against the Celtics, Wilt in that game only made 4 out of 13 FT's.

NBA rookie of the year

Wilt was so passive in the fourth, he wasn't even trying and I love how Jlauber/Lazeruss is blaming the coach for Wilt and his massive choking. Almost every time Wilt got the ball in the fourth he passed it even though as you said, Russell was in foul problems.

And the Lakers lost with 2 points, Wilt made 4 out of 13 FT's and he basically gave the game away from the FT-line. Just like he did in game 4 when he missed 9 out of 11 FT's.

NBA rookie of the year

I covered that in first post on the topic...

VBK cost the Lakers that series...plain-and-simple. LA would have been better off with no coach at all, than with the "Butcher" Van Breda Kolff.
    Yeah, the coach made Wilt miss 9 out of 11 FT's in a game the Lakers lost with 1 point, haha..

Definitely can be argued as one of the greatest "chokes" ever.

The 4th quarter of the final game of the series is uploaded on youtube.

See for yourself:
    1969 Finals 4thQ
    West

Also to Russell for still getting it done at that point, plus to Sam (clutch) Jones and Hondo who imho would've been the FMVP had it gone to a winning player (as always afterwards).

Quote Originally Posted by swagga

Local High School Star Akhenaten's Avatar

Ok, OP obviously took liberties with his description of the events in his initial post. It looks to me like dude was legit hurt, went out got a little treatment and of course like any other player wanted to get back in the game.

I must say though that watching the ancillary players I had to restrain my self from laughing (as I am at work), also it's nice to know that the more things change the more they stay the same in some respects.

My word if that 4th QTR is any indication, Jerry West was the NBA's original golden boy....those players couldn't breathe on dude without the whistle blowing.

Watching that vid makes it plain how seismic the gap in skill level, talent (especially depth of talent, most of these players wouldn't get picked up at my local park) and ability.

Jerry West was nice, you could tell he was a GUNMAN though, very smooth and knew how to draw contact. Another thing they let the stars get away with travels even back then Russel and Wilt were traveling all over the place, they got that Mel Counts guy though soon as he came in the game .

Quote Originally Posted by swagga
    Jongib/lazareus are prolly old timers that are experiencing severe memory loss, these dudes can't remember what they had for breakfast let alone a thread from 2 days ago, just bookmark and post.... they never post in non-wilt threads.

The rest (cavsftw, marchesk, .. ) is literate trolling brother. It brings the hits to the site and offers some variation from lebronze vs kome vs jordangoat vs dubeta plus the weekly fake racism thread. Offseason tbh.
    I'm 23 bruh, and you must not be too familiar with me if you think I only post in Wilt threads. I'm at a friends house atm, if I have the time later I'll respond
    Last edited by jongib369; 09-26-2014 at 11:21 AM.

I think this is right up there with Lebron's dallas choke job.

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    I'm 23 bruh, and you must not be too familiar with me if you think I only post in Wilt threads. I'm at a friends house atm, if I have the time later I'll respond
    i know you need time bruh, it's hard to find something positive in such an epic choke

Wilt chokes alot. I bet he even chokes women in bed.

Local High School Star KirbyPls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    Wilt chokes alot. I bet he even chokes women in bed.
    Who doesn't?