Default The Honeymooners one of the GOAT sitcoms?

I remember watching this as a kid it must have been on Nick at Night in the early 90's or something. Anyways just found it on YouTube and started watching it again out of curiosity this week.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...FXsk7fO8AVCkG-

Been through almost every episode now and I was pleasantly surprised I can follow it and relate to the character skits/dilemmas as easy as Seinfeld or any other much more modern sitcom and it has really been cracking me up. Really impressive to me that it's humor can stand the test of time like that, makes it timeless IMO like Seinfeld, so GOAT sitcom tier maybe? Anyone else seen this show? Thoughts?

Default Re: The Honeymooners one of the GOAT sitcoms?

Best comedy I've ever watched goat
    The original three stoogies was great too

Man. They need to bring this show back though.

   

you know it's a hall-of-fame show when a re-imagined cartoon version of it turns in to a whole franchise of shows, films and other products. i.e., the flintstones.

still kind of amazing that it only lasted two seasons, but IIRC gleason had some kind of variety show too.

actually i kind of preferred the cartoon version because it was a little more inane and free-wheeling. they could do all kinds of imaginative things that the honeymooners (and every other sitcom of the time) couldn't.

Banned

That show set the standard for married life sitcoms. Fat, oafish blue collar screw up and his attractive but nagging wife. Throw in a best friend/partner in crime and his wife and some other side characters. Some shows outright stole the formula, both live action and cartoon (The Flintstones, The Simpsons, Family Guy, The King of Queens, you could go on and on).

It still comes on some family station.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    That show set the standard for married life sitcoms. Fat, oafish blue collar screw up and his attractive but nagging wife. Throw in a best friend/partner in crime and his wife and some other side characters. Some shows outright stole the formula, both live action and cartoon (The Flintstones, The Simpsons, Family Guy, The King of Queens, you could go on and on).
    Well I didn't want to jump to the conclusion that The Honeymooners started/set that standard, I wasn't sure what if anything had come before it but if it is the original than damn... it's ****ing genius who ever thought of it because you're absolutely 100% right. I think the reason I'm able to follow it so well is because it's almost the same damn formula of everything modern that is STILL successful today and as far back as I can remember.

The characters in the show face problems that aren't time-period-specific either so it has aged remarkably well. Characters problems revolve around things like jealousy, pride, being out too late with the guys and having to sneak back home, being absolutely broke but wasting money on a get rich quick schemes etc.

The first thing I thought was, these guys seem like they live on the same block and in the same universe as Seinfeld characters, but they're from the 50's. Or rather Seinfeld characters are from the same universe but in the 90's. It was instantly familiar.