Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Decent playground baller

Default Re: Does anybody actually think Wilt's 100 point game was more impressive than Kobe's 81?

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Hollinger's "article" is among the most biased , one-sided pieces ever written and is doing nothing innovating, just trying to promote today's era over the today underselling 60's. He'd never have the guts to do something similar if he had to compare, say, Kobe's 81 point game to Jordan's 63 pointer vs the Celtics, even if some of these arguments still work in Kobe's favor.

Just to show how biased and short sighted such an article is, let's just comment on one quote:

That's cute. Too bad Mr.Hollinger forgot to mention that, if we inflated Kobe's numbers by 46%, it would only make sense to do so for the whole game, which would give us a final score of 178-152 for the Lakers, which is both a higher score and a bigger blowout than Wilt's game. And, of course, his 48 minutes would ruin the "realer game" story (after all, in reality, the Lakers had pretty much sealed the victory when Kobe had got close to 70 points). So, you can't turn around the "higher pace" AND keep the "realer game" arguments altogether.
    Not to mention that he pays zero attention to things like fatigue and the diminishing returns when the pace and the shooting efforts of a player go up. If things are that simple, why make any substitutions at all? Here's what the rest of the Lakers' starters' point totals would be:

Odom: 13
    Smush: 26
    Kwame: 7
    Mihm: 28

Add them to Kobe's fictional line and you get to an all-time record total of 209 points for the Lakers. Yay for them, if only they knew...!

(Oh, that would also mean 77 FGA's on Kobe's part, including 22 3-pointers, but please, don't tell anyone...)
    So you're saying that the pace of the game in Wilt's time did not effect/help him score 100 points?

Default Re: Does anybody actually think Wilt's 100 point game was more impressive than Kobe's 81?

Wilt himself loathed that 100 point game because of how it came to be. Intentional records aren't as impressive as records made when something else was at stake. The 81 came out of an effort to win the game, not an effort to reach some milestone without context. That 100 is essentially meaningless stat padding.

Quote Originally Posted by ThickassGlasses
    So you're saying that the pace of the game in Wilt's time did not effect/help him score 100 points?
    No, what I'm saying, you can find in my first phrase there.
    Basically, that Hollinger's "conversions" are flawed, biased and one-sided.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    LeBron is more like Wilt level athleticism with MJ mentality.
    lol, wut?
    Never in any context does he have Jordan's mentality. I mean zero. Now I'll give you the Wilt athletic comparison, of course Lebron is a genetic freak basically......

National High School Star Mrofir's Avatar

I'm going to weigh in on this, without getting into the fray too much, and say for me Kobe's game is more impressive.

As much as I've hated him at times, I've always respected Kobe... but I'm growing to appreciate him even more as time goes on and as his career winds down. He may have been the most influential player in helping the nba transition successfully out of the Jordan era. It's going to take some special players to keep the mojo going.

There are some other players who fall into a similar category for me. Steve Nash is one of them. Every year Deron was better, or cp3, or whatever. Now look back and see who deserves the title of best pg from 05-10. Who will be best remembered in 20 years? No. Contest.

And finally, KG. Seeing his return to Minnesota reminded me of how special a player he is. Another irreplaceable guy. The NBA will miss these guys for their special combination of personality and legendary skills. Let's hope the young generation is up to the challenge.

I'd include Duncan but I don't think he has enough haters to be on this list. Same for Dirk. People basically understand where they belong in the pantheon and give them due credit.
    Last edited by Mrofir; 03-03-2015 at 09:40 PM.

100>81

next.

Quote Originally Posted by G0ATbe
    Scoring 100 in that era was like scoring 40 in this era. This shouldnt even be discussed.
    If that were true, then someone beside Wilt would have scored over 70 during the entire decade. It's not like there weren't other good scorers (West, Baylor, Oscar, Pettit, Barry, etc).

Mulitiple players score 40 during every season. That's no comparison.

Pace is a factor to take into consideration, but the weird thing is how it didn't lead to any one else in the 60s coming close to that 100 point game or averaging more than Jordan did during a season (Baylor's 38.3 was on a shortened season for him).

Wilt is an outlier.

Never seen Wilt's 100 point game.... so i dont know...

Whatever you need to tell yourself.

Tolerant Liberals

Does anyone even think Wilt's 100 point game was real? We have no video footage, not even some grainy black and white footage with 6'2 white guys dribbling with one hand

Quote Originally Posted by IncarceratedBob
    The opinion of one the greatest basketball minds of this generation isn't a fact? You for real?

Think about what you typed.

Think about it.

Wha--?

Shut up. Just shut the [COLOR="Black"]f[/COLOR]uck up.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    Does anyone even think Wilt's 100 point game was real? We have no video footage, not even some grainy black and white footage with 6'2 white guys dribbling with one hand

sounds about the same skill level as the craptor team kobe 81'd on