Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Why couldn't I have been born in the Jordan era?

Quote Originally Posted by G0ATbe
    This. 90s consisted of 1 super stacked team running over teams with no depth aside from maybe 1 star.

I'd rather watch the 09-10 Lakers with 1 guy carrying his team back to back in a superior era. With Pau Gasoft as the 2nd option.
    The Jazz had two first ballot hall of famers...

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by G0ATbe
    This. 90s consisted of 1 super stacked team running over teams with no depth aside from maybe 1 star.

I'd rather watch the 09-10 Lakers with 1 guy carrying his team back to back in a superior era. With Pau Gasoft as the 2nd option.
    Did you mean u like watching one guy being carried by Ref and his teammates while building bricks night in and night out in 09-10?

Serious playground baller

Loved following Jordan's bulls but sadly never got to a live game.
    I saw Luke Ridnour in person play once. He was on the Supersonics and put on a show.

Made that high school varsity squad Westbrook0's Avatar

I think this is relevant in this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sl2ib2NnXA

Very good NBA starter

Be lucky ur daddy never swallowed you

I only started watching MJ for first time around 94-98 when he was at his best well during 2nd three peat. That's why Kobe my favorite NBA player of all-time he was just like MJ play style wise, body type, skills which I give Kobe the slight edge, but MJ was much better natural athlete along with better IQ, leadership just the better version overall. I thought to myself wow could Kobe be as great as MJ himself sadly, it never happened. I still hope sometime in my lifetime I see the new GOAT it will happen eventually. I say this as someone that admires and loves both players. MJ the greatest athlete ever in my opinion not just of basketball world but all sports.
    Last edited by Cold soul; 03-01-2015 at 10:49 PM.

Not really just MJ, but the games then were really intense for some reason. Like when the Knicks and the Heat went up against each other in the playoffs, you could feel the animosity and it was glorious. The internet was much less widespread then as well, so each game I watched counted, unlike today where I can just watch highlights and fast forward through games.

Quote Originally Posted by Collie
    Not really just MJ, but the games then were really intense for some reason. Like when the Knicks and the Heat went up against each other in the playoffs, you could feel the animosity and it was glorious. The internet was much less widespread then as well, so each game I watched counted, unlike today where I can just watch highlights and fast forward through games.
    I think athletes were way more competitive back then they wanted it more and none of this buddy buddy generation of today where everyone wants to be friends. You don't see as many rivalrys anymore which is sad because I miss that also the league was more physical more fun to watch.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine80s
    Be lucky ur daddy never swallowed you

even luckier that he didnt get shot into your lower intestines

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Cold soul
    I think athletes were way more competitive back then they wanted it more and none of this buddy buddy generation of today where everyone wants to be friends. You don't see as many rivalrys anymore which is sad because I miss that also the league was more physical more fun to watch.
    Yeah, thats the difference between now and then. These kids want to talk sh*t about the 90's but dudes back then weren't smiling and talking throughout the game, they hated the other team and you could tell the difference when watching the game. Like today's Cavs/Rockets game today. That was a regular atmosphere in the 90's...

It makes those performances greater, yeah Kobe went for 81 but he did it against the Raptors in a game where nobody really cared but him and Jalen. Imagine if he were able to do that against the 90's knicks, hell imagine Jordan doing that against those Knicks...His 50+ point games against them are already considered legendary status.

You didn't miss the Bulls and I'm thankful to live so close that we have WGN and I got see most of the Bulls games. But you saw the difference in certain players when he went up against him, not everybody was scared of him and you looked forward to those matchups. Drexler, Wilkins, Bird, Magic, Reggie, Richmond, Dumars, Moncrief, Starks, Harper, these guys weren't scared of him and tried their best to guard him 1 on 1.

Watching it on YouTube is not the same as watching it live and not knowing the outcome.

I saw a Celtics game from like 79, and I really wish I was alive in that ERA. (Not literally because then I would be older) Because what I got from that game was that with the less distractions in a person's daily life, that one game was the absolute most important thing in the world. Nothing else matter as they were watching, and the fans and players were getting into fist fights with each other. It was caring time a million.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

I watched the Bulls as a kid, but I wish I was older to be honest. I was born 86, and started watching in the 93 playoffs. I wish I was an adult so I would have had the ability to go watch a Bulls game in person. I've seen most of the players I like to watch in person (Ray, KG, Pierece, LBJ, Kobe, Kyrie, BG, CP3, etc) but there are still others to see live.

At the same time, I'm glad I'm not old enough to have some kind of hate for today's era. Seems like a lot of the older fans/posters here don't really appreciate watching today, because they feel their era is best, or whatever.

You had to live it to realize just how popular MJ was at his peak. He was everywhere. Commercials, newspapers, etc. He was without a doubt, the most popular athlete in America. Magic/Bird saved the NBA but MJ took it to another level of popularity. I guess I do feel fortunate to be able have seen the GOAT. To see how it was done at the highest level.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    even luckier that he didnt get shot into your lower intestines

Damn.

The best years as a NBA fan to be honest. It will never compare.