Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Michael Sam won a "courage" award for simply saying two words:

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    Once again the media throwing all this GAY stuff in our face. He's not the first gay person and won't be the last. Move along now, nothing to see here.
    Right?

I have literally nothing wrong with gay people, which is probably why I don't care one way another when someone says he's gay. To me it's just like a "cool story bro" moment and then I go along with my day. No different than if someone were to tell me that they were straight.

They act like gay people should be treated normal like you and I but whenever someone says that they are gay they turn it into a big spectacle as if they are a freak... It makes no sense.
    Last edited by russwest0; 07-18-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

It's not even that. People have a God-given right to not like certain things. I am convinced that what the American society wants nowadays is for YOU to like EVERYONE and EVERYTHING. You must and you will and if you don't, you're a bigot and you must be ostracized from humanity.

That's mind control, suppression of free thought and speech bullshit.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

It's not even that. People have a God-given right to not like certain things. I am convinced that what the American society wants nowadays is for YOU to like EVERYONE and EVERYTHING. You must and you will and if you don't, you're a bigot and you must be ostracized from humanity.

It seems that gay people identify themselves with being Gay and it becomes more of an identity instead of a trait or sexual preference. I understand there may be a history behind discrimination against gays and their rights but I really don't understand it and it's kinda funny because the same people will probably bash people for having Irish pride or Korean pride for example.

In America, as long as you don't live in some backwards or conservative area, people generally don't give a **** about your sexual preferences. You can even make the argument that the media glorifies gay pride and companies use it as PR instead of actual discrimination.

NBA Legend

Barack Obama won a nobel peace prize for simply being black and being the president at the same time

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Barack Obama won a nobel peace prize for simply being black and being the president at the same time
    Welcome to liberal america.

NBA Legend

Not true. The federal government doesn't want you to like everything and everyone, they just want you to like what and who they TELL you to like.

Liberals are on board with this because they want to play God and tell people how to think, and the federal government is the perfect tool de force to achieve those ends. And they're all too happy to do it, because eventually they'll usurp power from the dumb liberal voters, whom they're currently USING as false allies to gain more control.

But that's ok, says the liberal. Because for now, he's being handed what he wants by the government. "Don't force your religious ideology on me mannn! Oh but btw don't break my tolerance laws or it's off to jail for you, bucko!!!"

It's not about principle. It's about control. One side will claim "principle" as a soothing justification. It's actually a total hypocrisy. It's really about control, even for the liberals who hide behind the "civil liberties" union.

You now have the liberty to do exactly what the government tells you. Buy this insurance. Hire those people. Don't express those beliefs in public. Support our programs with your taxes. Don't worry. We're just defending your civil liberties.
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 07-18-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    He won for opposing the Iraq war. It was to send a message regarding the Iraq war, similar to Carter receiving a post-prime Nobel around the time of the war.

As to Sam, what he did was courageous. How many NFL players came out before him? If it were easy others would have done so.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    Right?

I have literally nothing wrong with gay people, which is probably why I don't care one way another when someone says he's gay. To me it's just like a "cool story bro" moment and then I go along with my day. No different than if someone were to tell me that they were straight.

They act like gay people should be treated normal like you and I but whenever someone says that they are gay they turn it into a big spectacle as if they are a freak... It makes no sense.
    Then why make a thread about it?

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    You've been on it.

NBA Legend

Once again the media throwing all this GAY stuff in our face. He's not the first gay person and won't be the last. Move along now, nothing to see here.

To be fair, the media is a business and they cover things that make money. You or I might not want to watch two guys kissing on the television, but TONS of women and liberals around the country do. I mean the coverage of him got ratings, that's an undeniable fact. Media companies have employees and shareholders to pay. They have to earn money. I have nothing against the guy, I wish him the best as I would with any young athlete, but I would not want to be watching the draft and seeing guys make out, that doesn't appeal to me. ESPN made a calculated wager that more people than not WOULD want to tune in for that. Similar to how they put on commercial pop acts for the Superbowl, bceause they know real nfl fans are already watching anyway. They're trying to get women and liberals to the TV in addition.

The media doesn't put out what matters to themselves in most cases, they thoroughly investigate what appeals to the public, and then they simply air it. As the public is often fractured and at odds with other factions, some people inevitably don't like what's chosen to air. But the media's programming generally follows after Americans' shift in values, not vice versa as most people think. I know people who work in significant media roles who often find the programs they're airing very distasteful and unappealing, but they have no choice. They're responsible for revenue and if they don't generate it, they're fired.

A good example is the Redskins. Media aren't censoring that word right now because there are no boycotts or lawsuits at stake (geared toward them anyway) for saying it. So they just continue to go about their business. The contention of the issue is coming from a small minority in the oversensitive public, and congresspeople from states like arizona, new mexico, and oklahoma who are thinking of their political careers. If the team name is ultimately changed it'll have nothing to do with the media.
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 07-20-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    He won for opposing the Iraq war. It was to send a message regarding the Iraq war, similar to Carter receiving a post-prime Nobel around the time of the war.

As to Sam, what he did was courageous. How many NFL players came out before him? If it were easy others would have done so.
    Obama did NOT oppose the Iraq war, he expanded it.

I like how people are questioning why he won a "courage" word when it only took 3 posts before people starting called him a f*g.

If you're a straight, white male like myself, then there's almost no area of human life where you are not represented. And represented positively. Often times disproportionately.

I never have to ask myself, "Can make it in this field as a straight white man?" I can look at countless people like me that made it as the highest levels, without having to hide their straightness! Wow!

That's why it's a big deal whenever a high profile person comes out as gay. Not just because it takes courage, you know you have to be willing to endure all the negative press, people calling you a f*g, people that now want to lecture you on your sinful lifestyle, etc. But because you are now a sign of hope for any young kid that's struggling with his her or her sexuality. Any kid that was going to talk himself out of making it in football because he wasn't sure about his sexuality, he can look at Michael Sam and say, "You know what? This guy did it. Why not me?"

The value of that is difficult to measure. And as straight males, we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss how important it is for other people.

Quote Originally Posted by reppy
    I like how people are questioning why he won a "courage" word when it only took 3 posts before people starting called him a f*g.

If you're a straight, white male like myself, then there's almost no area of human life where you are not represented. And represented positively. Often times disproportionately.

I never have to ask myself, "Can make it in this field as a straight white man?" I can look at countless people like me that made it as the highest levels, without having to hide their straightness! Wow!

That's why it's a big deal whenever a high profile person comes out as gay. Not just because it takes courage, you know you have to be willing to endure all the negative press, people calling you a f*g, people that now want to lecture you on your sinful lifestyle, etc. But because you are now a sign of hope for any young kid that's struggling with his her or her sexuality. Any kid that was going to talk himself out of making it in football because he wasn't sure about his sexuality, he can look at Michael Sam and say, "You know what? This guy did it. Why not me?"

The value of that is difficult to measure. And as straight males, we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss how important it is for other people.
    This.

Why do people act like this is so hard to understand? Lol.

/thread

Reppy gets it.. He always has cheers bro