Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Alex English: severely underrated or not that good?

Quote Originally Posted by Rizko
    He wasn't talking to you. His statement was a reply to heyhey's post.
    Yeah nice way of self-failing myself. Thats why I deleted my post.

Anyway I got confused, because im either crazy or stupid, but chains placed by birthdate right there. Not joking.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlTheGoat
    Yeah nice way of self-failing myself. Thats why I deleted my post.

Anyway I got confused, because im either crazy or stupid, but chains placed by birthdate right there. Not joking.

That's heyhey's birth date

Quote Originally Posted by chains5000
    so 20 years and nothing in the head...what a bright future...

Banned

Apologizes to dough and chains5000.

But my birthday is January 1990, I swear I read that when chains made his post, nice way of self-failing and reading January when February.

Anyway, enough with the off-topic.

Some more thoughts on English?

Decent college freshman

that's actually not my bday. Same DAY and year but different month. Neverthless I'll change my privacy setting.

me and Earl are from the same year

Quote Originally Posted by heyhey
    that's actually not my bday. Same DAY and year but different month. Neverthless I'll change my privacy setting.

me and Earl are from the same year
    So you can pretend you watched the NBA in the 80s?

Decent college freshman

So you can pretend you watched the NBA in the 80s?
    I been watching a lot of NBA clips from youtube and dvds and such. I know the 80s of NBA pretty well.

You really think that Alex English would put up that kind of stats today? He's just not athletic enough to dominate in today's game imo.

I been watching a lot of NBA clips from youtube and dvds and such. I know the 80s of NBA pretty well.

You really think that Alex English would put up that kind of stats today? He's just not athletic enough to dominate in today's game imo.
    It's not all about athleticism.
    Also, you gotta judge him in comparison with his same age's opponents IMO.

The Nuggets played at a really quick pace compared to the Cavs:

[QUOTE=Wiki]Brown left the team in 1979, helping usher in a brief decline in their team's performance. It ended in 1981, when they hired Doug Moe as a head coach. Moe brought with him a "motion offense" philosophy, a style of play focusing on attempting to move the ball until someone got open. Moe was not as considerate to defense as some other coaches. The offense helped the team become highly competitive. During the 1980s, the Nuggets would often score in excess of 115 points a game, and during the 1981

In the season that English had 29 ppg, 5 apg and 4 rpg (the year heyhey brought up) the Nuggets had a Pace factor of 106.7, while the Cavs had a factor of 91.4 this year. Thats a big difference between the 2 teams.

If we scaled back English's averages to Lebrons pace he would put up: 24.9 ppg 4.3 apg, 3.44 rpg. Scaling back averages to fit another teams pace isn't the best way to compare players, but it still shows how pace can affect a players stats, and why using stats to judge a player is dubious.

High School Varsity 6th Man NLZ's Avatar

He's a Hall of Famer for crying out loud. I'd surely hope he's not "not that good".

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Neither is Dirk, and he doesn't have a problem scoring...wake up dude, he was athletic enough and would score in bunches today, just like he did then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3YoJUeS5jA

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rizko
    In the season that English had 29 ppg, 5 apg and 4 rpg (the year heyhey brought up) the Nuggets had a Pace factor of 106.7, while the Cavs had a factor of 91.4 this year. Thats a big difference between the 2 teams.

If we scaled back English's averages to Lebrons pace he would put up: 24.9 ppg 4.3 apg, 3.44 rpg. Scaling back averages to fit another teams pace isn't the best way to compare players, but it still shows how pace can affect a players stats, and why using stats to judge a player is dubious.
    What about rule changes?

I am your soldier!

I love English's shot. It looked so 'off' to me, but was money.

ask yourself this. Who is a better play Alex English or Lebron James?

Alex English shot 50% averaged 29 with 7 rebounds and 5 assists. That's pretty much Lebron territory. and this was common place in the 80s. Christopher mullin shot 53% for gods sake.

To me that suggest that defense and overall talent was thin in the 80s that player we can PLAINLY see to not be as good as modern day players had GOAT style stats.
    Why compare him to LeBron? 20 year difference in the game, different styles.

English putting up 28.4/7.3/4.8 on 51.6% in an era with great players, being the highest point scorer of the 80s(yeah the whole f*cking decade), and 8 time all star must mean he sucked.

Chris Mullin was one of the best shooters ever.

I can't even understand your last paragraph.

Alex English was that deal back in the day! Silky smooth midrange game, slashing, and he could even post up. His all around game was also underrated as well. If anything he's severely underrated. He's arguably at a top 10 GOAT SF of all time or just on the outside. But it seems guys like English, Nique, Bernard King, Aguirre, and Dantley get hated on cause they weren't great all around SF's like Bird, Barry, and Hondo before them. While that may be true, u can't diminish the fact that guys like English and Nique were true alpha dogs. And there is always a premium on alpha dogs.

U can be a great all around player and NOT be an alpha dog. U can be an average to good all around player and STILL be an ALPHA DOG! The bottom line is in both cases u can be a HOFer and all time great. Guys like Stockton, Pippen, and Rodman are great players. Just like guys such as English is a great player too. But greatness comes in different ways. It seems that prolific scorers are often times painted as selfish and team cancers if they aren't great all around players along with it. The 80's SF's such as English, Nique, Doc to an extent, Aguirre, Kiki, Dantley, and King catch this heat more than anybody. But a point forward type player at the SF is a bonus and not to always be expected.