Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Last couple games has shown how having a great pg makes scoring much easier for kobe

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    And he put up 8/5 on 36 percent in the playoffs.

But that's besides the point. The point here is that Gary payton wasn't a traditional point guard in the mold of Steve Nash. He was more of a scoring guard and not a true facilitator.. Like a Kevin Johnson or Russell Westbrook.. He wasn't a stockton or kidd or Nash.

Having a great facilitator which payton and van exel were not obviously helps kobe and everyone else on the team.. Point flies over your head again..
    Lol at this Don... guy just saying he played with Gary Payton! Yeah a 35 year old past his prime GP.

3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Last couple games has shown how having a great pg makes scoring much easier for kobe

I hope people realize that it's not that common for a great wing scorer to be paired up with a great PG. This thread is just pointing out another luxury Kobe has had that most players he's compared to did not have.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    Lol at this Don...
    LOL indeed.

Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers, 2004
    Lakers vs. Pistons -- Bryant's PER 14.2
    With his feud against Shaq escalating and the series getting away from the Lakers, Bryant began taking whatever shot struck him. Mostly, they struck the rim -- [COLOR="Red"]he shot 38.1[/COLOR] percent and[COLOR="Red"] had nearly as many turnovers (18) as assists (22)[/COLOR] as Detroit romped in five games.

ESPN- Ranking the Top 10 Worst NBA Finals Performances Ever

I guess GP gets to use the 'old ass' excuse... what was Kobe's?

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    I hope people realize that it's not that common for a great wing scorer to be paired up with a great PG. This thread is just pointing out another luxury Kobe has had that most players he's compared to did not have.
    Yeah Mj didn't have Pippen and Rodman. Kareem didn't have Magic, Oscar, Worthy. Magic didn't have Kareem and Worthy, Russell didn't have something like over 10 HOFers, Wilt didn't have West, Baylor, Goodrich and a total of 9 HOFers, should I go on or does this stuff only count against Kobe Bryant?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    LOL indeed.

With his feud against Shaq escalating and the series getting away from the Lakers, Bryant began taking whatever shot struck him. Mostly, they struck the rim -- [COLOR="Red"]he shot 38.1[/COLOR] percent and[COLOR="Red"] had nearly as many turnovers (18) as assists (22)[/COLOR] as Detroit romped in five games.

What does this have to do with Gary payton? You're deflecting from the argument because you know you're wrong.

Gary payton sucked the whole playoffs not just against Detroit. He wasn't a great point guard when he played with Kobe. Your points are straight garbage my dude.

LOL indeed.

The game were he took the fewest shots, they lost by he biggest margin. Why is that? I thought he "chucked it away"?

A great PG makes scoring easier for anyone.

Decent college freshman Doctor Rivers's Avatar

LOL indeed.

give it up homeboy

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    Yeah Mj didn't have Pippen and Rodman. Kareem didn't have Magic, Oscar, Worthy. Magic didn't have Kareem and Worthy, Russell didn't have something like over 10 HOFers, Wilt didn't have West, Baylor, Goodrich and a total of 9 HOFers, should I go on or does this stuff only count against Kobe Bryant?
    Who said anything about all those players? So you attack my post, which wasnt untrue at all, but not the stupid OP that is seriously implying that Scottie Pippen was some PG and passer close to the level of Steve Nash.

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    Jordan's highest scoring season came without Pippen.
    I mean when Pippen was still not yet in the league.. Jordan 1st 3 season doesnt count..

Very good NBA starter

What does this have to do with Gary payton? You're deflecting from the argument because you know you're wrong.

Gary payton sucked the whole playoffs not just against Detroit. He wasn't a great point guard when he played with Kobe. Your points are straight garbage my dude.
    Not to mention that Payton played in a system that completely took away all his strengths and didn't actually allow him to play point guard. And the Van Exel comment was just worthy.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Rysio
    now i can finally explain jordan's high numbers and see how he had such an easy time scoring playing with one of the most unselfish and best passers of all time in pippen for all those years.
    Obvious agenda is obvious. And Jordan's numbers were actually BETTER pre-Pippen, so you couldn't be more wrong.
    Last edited by OldSchoolBBall; 12-30-2012 at 09:14 AM.

And he put up 8/5 on 36 percent in the playoffs.

But that's besides the point. The point here is that Gary payton wasn't a traditional point guard in the mold of Steve Nash. He was more of a scoring guard and not a true facilitator.. Like a Kevin Johnson or Russell Westbrook.. He wasn't a stockton or kidd or Nash.

Having a great facilitator which payton and van exel were not obviously helps kobe and everyone else on the team.. Point flies over your head again..
    Interesting this old man Nash vs Payton thing.

Would you Kobe fans state that the 35 year old payton, was worse than the 37 year old Jason Kidd that was the starting pg for the Mavs championship run?

Looking at pure stats

Kidd: 8/8/4
    Payton: 15/6/4

Remember Kidd was the engine that made that mavs teams run
    Last edited by Purch; 12-30-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Operat.Northwoods=9/11 Horde of Temujin's Avatar

Settle down folks. Let get this straight. Kobe is a great player. He is one of the best ever. Top 10, hell, you can even reasonably argue top 5. But he is not better than Jordan.

College superstar

Payton didn't fit well in the triangle system all season and he even criticized the offense that Phil ran. Not to mention he was disappointing defensively, especially against Detroit in the Finals, Billups killed him. His game suffered under the triangle because he's a ball dominant PG who plays under an offense that doesn't need a ball dominant PG. Plus, Gary wasn't know for being a catch and shoot player that the triangle needs.