Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tim Duncan: the art of post scoring

First, an old school highlight video for purists to enjoy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIU6ysHQRmA

Whenever we speak of masters of post scoring, it seems the discussion always comes down to only two players: Hakeem and McHale (probably because the up-and-under and the dream shake are aesthetically pleasing moves). As a result plenty of amazing post players are routinely overlooked. Perhaps the biggest victim of this has been Tim Duncan, one of the most skilled post players of all time... his moves are incredibly effective, much more complex than they appear, and every bit as worthy of study by anyone looking to develop their post game than the two superstars of post play. His ability to make the defender bite on fakes and the coherence between his footwork and the way he uses his upper body and moves his arms is pretty much unparalleled.

What do you think post players could learn today from watching Tim Duncan play?

Default Re: Tim Duncan: the art of post scoring

I think that the big men these days are so athletic that they don't take the time to learn post moves but rely on their athleticism to score. There's no reason why Griffin or Howard haven't improved their post games much - too many distractions, too much going on, and no incentive to improve. They won't age as well as TD without the fundamentals and when the athleticism/speed start to fade.

That video brings back so many memories of 4-down, score (or pass for the open 3). From Larry Johnson (seems like another generation), Shaq, to Kanter, Love, and M. Gasol. Funny thing is that TD hasn't changed much through the years - the moves were there from his rookie year on - even though he jump shoots more now because of the weight loss/knee issues.

Although Duncan has one of the best post fundamentals, he is not Hakeem or McHale. And he is not Kareem. You can make a case for him being top 5 about this one. But as the best or top 3? No.

But I appreciate your evaluation about Duncan's use of upper body. He just puts defender's arm behind of his own and gets clear, not that contested look.

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    he jump shoots more now because of the weight loss/knee issues.
    It is sad to not see Duncan shooting over a double team. It was a beauty to watch. But he is no more young...

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    Although Duncan has one of the best post fundamentals, he is not Hakeem or McHale. And he is not Kareem. You can make a case for him being top 5 about this one. But as the best or top 3? No.
    I'm not saying he's the best, or even top 3. I'm simply pointing out that he is never in the conversation when we speak of great post players to emulate, even though he's active right now and has an incredible arsenal you can learn a lot from by watching (especially as it doesn't rely too much on athleticism).

I could watch those highlight compilations for hours. I'd rather see nice post moves than overrated dunks. Sad thing that the back to basket big man is slowly dying.

Very good NBA starter

Duncan is such a master in the post. 4 years of college, entering a league with plenty of big men (let alone Robinson), and bigmen-friendly rules all helped him become that master post scorer. Can face you up or go back to the basket, shoot off the glass, dribble-drive or fade away, hook shots/jumpers/floater type shots/layoups/dunks, has perfect timing and feel for the game, and his court vision is also excellent. Peaked at 4 apg (reg. season), 5+ apg (post season). Duncan's post and volume scoring in his prime/peak has become underrated, or lost in the mix of many scorers at least. currently writing a blog going into depth about it. So many awesome 25+, 30+, and 35+ point games in his first 10 years playing for a slow, methodical, low scoring team (on average - 95 ppg, 25th fastest pace). TD averaged 26 ppg in 02 for the Spurs that scored 97 ppg / 19th fastest pace.... To put it in perspective, Amare averaged 26 ppg for a Suns team (05) that scored 110 ppg and had the fastest pace in the league... There's something to be said about Duncan's amazingly consistent post scoring and offense. He's handled double and triple teams alike.

I think in terms of dominance and arsenal COMBINED on the block then Timmy is in the top five. I will give u McHale, Hakeem, and Kareem. If u are talking sheer dominance, then gotta throw Shaq and Wilt in the mix. They are most physically dominant guys on the block. But they didn't have as many to beat u on the block as Timmy, Kareem, McHale, or Dream.
    Last edited by bizil; 11-08-2013 at 03:58 PM.

NBA Superstar

LeFlop James

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

td was consistently a great player and had heart/courage in the clutch but for post moves and footwork ......look at footage of young derrick coleman or cwebb

they didn't have the careers or work ethic or clutch ability of duncan but post games were a thing to watch

adrian dantley /young mark aguirre also

I think duncan's low post game is over rated.....his high post game is under rated.....the year the spurs beat nets....mount mutomb was giving him fits at ne point in the paint....he started operating out of the high post and neutralized dikembe's length

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    LeFlop James

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    How do people still say he can guard 1-5 when he refused to guard Duncan when he was grillin da Heat last year

I have to admit, I didn't think there was any way that guy would be brought up in a thread about Tim Duncan's post moves, but you proved me wrong.

Love Live Life

Timmy has it all.

Great in the post and has a good midrange shot.

When I think of Timmy all I remember is that bank shot he was so great at.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Not Mention Charles Barkley is also a Sin in The Art of Post Scoring.

The Master of the 2-Pointer