Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 ... LastLast
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: I just bet 7k on the Heat beating the Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by Jackass18
    You can't just slap a bunch of elite players together and coast to a championship. What about the Yankees? A lot of their teams with crazy payrolls failed.
    The NBA is so much more influenced by a single individual player, it isn't even remotely comparable to baseball. There are five guys on the floor at a time and generally a rotation of seven or eight in the playoffs. James, Wade and Bosh are all routinely on the floor for 40+ minutes in the playoffs. You can have the same couple of players handle the ball basically the entire 48 minutes in basketball.

Baseball players have, what? Four at-bats in a game? Maybe five?

Ace pitchers get to throw, what? Every 3-4 games?

Basketball is an entirely different animal. One really great player and the right cast around him can carry a team to a championship. You can't do that in baseball.

And, yeah... If you throw the two best players in the league on the same team and also a Top 5 power forward, there is a damn good chance that they are going to be able to win it all on talent alone.

This isn't baseball.

Blu Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    The NBA is so much more influenced by a single individual player, it isn't even remotely comparable to baseball. There are five guys on the floor at a time and generally a rotation of seven or eight in the playoffs. James, Wade and Bosh are all routinely on the floor for 40+ minutes in the playoffs. You can have the same couple of players handle the ball basically the entire 48 minutes in basketball.

Baseball players have, what? Four at-bats in a game? Maybe five?

Ace pitchers get to throw, what? Every 3-4 games?

Basketball is an entirely different animal. One really great player and the right cast around him can carry a team to a championship. You can't do that in baseball.

And, yeah... If you throw the two best players in the league on the same team and also a Top 5 power forward, there is a damn good chance that they are going to be able to win it all on talent alone.

This isn't baseball.
    Woah, no, definitely always 5.

This ain't 1920 anymore. It's ridiculous how babied modern pitchers are.

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    Woah, no, definitely always 5.

This ain't 1920 anymore. It's ridiculous how babied modern pitchers are.
    In the playoffs? That was what I was referring to.

Blu Ray

In the playoffs? That was what I was referring to.
    Well even if a rotation is shortened to 3 or 4 pitchers as it usually is during the post-season, because the games are spaced out, every pitcher will get his usual 5 day rest.

But, you get what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    Well even if a rotation is shortened to 3 or 4 pitchers as it usually is during the post-season, because the games are spaced out, every pitcher will get his usual 5 day rest.

But, you get what I meant.
    Yes, modern day pitchers are 'babied,' I guess. Then again, it sort of makes sense why you would want to include middle relief, closers and space out their starts, if you can.

I just wanted to point out that I know that, in the regular season, guys aren't throwing every three games.

Blu Ray

It's an interesting topic to explore, why guys back in the day could handle it and pitchers of today can't, but that's for another day.

MacMac and other fellow bettors

Time to go all-in on the Miami Heat to beat the Mavericks in the Finals. Dallas has been hot and this will give you better than usual odds from Vegas to bet on the Heat.

We know LeBron James and Dwyane Wade are not going to let their team lose when they are this close the ring. Also, I pick the Heat so it's over.

LeBron + Wade + GP_20's Pick = 100+% victory

All-in on Miami. Macmac, like I said, don't have the same regret that you will have at the end of the Miami-Bulls series. The regret: "Why didn't I put more on this?"

The fact that Erving was 32 years old, in his 12th season as a professional and clearly declining is not a 'small difference' when compared to Wade. That is basically the whole point. And, yeah... Dr. J's numbers were down pretty much across the board from 1981 to 1982... And they were down, basically across the board, from 1980 to 1981.

Wade, meanwhile, was clearly still in the middle of his prime when this thing was pulled off. That is not a 'small' difference.

Wade was 28 and in his seventh season as a pro when this thing went down. James was 25 and Bosh was 26.

And, MVP voting means absolutely nothing. What did James finish this year? 4th? I guess that means he is the 4th best player, eh?

Dr. J was absolutely not a Top 3 player in 1982. But, believe what you want.

Even still, you haven't accounted for Chris Bosh, that other All-Star and Olympian just entering his prime who joined those two. This is unprecedented... Just admit it.

Really RBA?

Julius Erving finished 3rd in MVP Voting (Moses finished with the MVP)
    Julius Erving finished 2nd in PER (Moses finished 1st)
    Julius Erving led his team to the Finals as a clear-cut #1 player

Yet he was absolutely not top 3? He doesn't even have a case. Can you name me one instance in NBA HISTORY where a player who finished Top 3 in MVP voting, Top 3 in Statistics (PER), and Top 3 in Team Success (I'd say Kareem/Magic/Erving had the most success) but still is not Top 3? And doesn't even have a case?

I mean really, MVP/Statistics/Team Succes...but still not Top 3?

You bring out LeBron from this year. He finished #1 in PER and is going to the Finals. He is the best. Erving also finished high in PER (stats) and is going to the Finals that year. Its not just MVP votings.

Do you realize how ignorant you sound when you say Erving is not Top 3? Unbelievable.

Julius Erving finished 3rd in MVP Voting (Moses finished with the MVP) in 82
    Julius Erving finished 2nd in PER (Moses finished 1st) in 82
    Julius Erving led his team to the Finals as a clear-cut #1 player in 82

Yet he was not top 3? Doesn't even have a case? You are losing all credibility here. Your blind homerism is definitely showing. You were smart too. Don't know what this LeBron incident did to you, you can't even think logically anymore.

I'll wait for an instance in NBA History where player had so much success in MVP voting, Statistics, and Team Succes...but doesn't even have a case for top 3

So while RBA continues with his blind homerism that I guess is starting to completely dismiss the obvious (Top 3 in MVP + Top 3 in Stats + Top 3 in Team Success can actually possibly mean you are ABSOLUTELY not an actual Top 3 player hmmm)

It's clear we have seen cases where the best player in the NBA (Moses/LeBron) joins forces with another Top 3 player in the NBA (Wade/Erving) to create a "super team".

20 years later, no one cared how Moses won his only ring, he won it, and that's all that matters. That's how itwill be with LeBron. Face it.

^^^

Even if you think that Dr. J was a Top 3 player in the league in 1982 (which I absolutely do not), it is patently absurd to compare him -- clearly declining, in his mid-30s and in his 11th season -- to Wade, who was in his mid-20s, his 7th season and clearly in the middle of his prime.

And, then there is the Bosh thing, which you still haven't addressed.

Just stop.

The 1983 Sixers are a TERRIBLE comparison to the 2011 Heat... Absolutely horrible. This is the last post I will dedicate to that ludicrous comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by GP_20
    So while RBA continues with his blind homerism that I guess is starting to completely dismiss the obvious (Top 3 in MVP + Top 3 in Stats + Top 3 in Team Success can actually possibly mean you are ABSOLUTELY not an actual Top 3 player hmmm)

It's clear we have seen cases where the best player in the NBA (Moses/LeBron) joins forces with another Top 3 player in the NBA (Wade/Erving) to create a "super team".

20 years later, no one cared how Moses won his only ring, he won it, and that's all that matters. That's how itwill be with LeBron. Face it.
    Do you realize that Dr. J scored 18 points per game on 45% shooting in that title run with Moses? Why would Moses NOT receive the majority of the credit for carrying that team (yes... carrying) to a championship?

Erving wasn't even the second best scorer in the postseason on that team. HE was cleraly past his prime. Please stop talking.

Moses averaged f#cking 27 points and 16 rebounds on 55% shooting in the postseason.

Yep... It is literally exactly like this James/Wade/Bosh run.

^^^

Even if you think that Dr. J was a Top 3 player in the league in 1982 (which I absolutely do not), it is patently absurd to compare him -- clearly declining, in his mid-30s and in his 11th season -- to Wade, who was in his mid-20s, his 7th season and clearly in the middle of his prime.

And, then there is the Bosh thing, which you still haven't addressed.

Just stop.

The 1983 Sixers are a TERRIBLE comparison to the 2011 Heat... Absolutely horrible. This is the last post I will dedicate to that ludicrous comparison.

Ok man if you think Erving is "absolutely" not a Top 3 player in 82 then there is no point in going on.

Top 3 in MVP Voting
    Top 3 in PER (Statistics)
    Top 3 in Team Success (Clear-cut best player leading team to Finals)

But absolutely not Top 3? Yeah okay you are completely unbiased and not trying to just make your point

I'll wait for ANY year in NBA History where player dominated MVP, Stats, and Team Success, but was not Top 3. Or in this case, "absolutely" not Top 3. Or was this the only year in NBA history which this occurred to you? lol

Unbelievable. Like I said, no point in debating with anyone who is this lost and biased. It's like debating with someone on who will win Lakers or Thunder, and their 1st argument is Harden >>> Kobe. There is no point in going on. Sure they might have other arguments (Erving declining or w/e), but if they can't admit the obvious (Kobe > Harden or Erving was Top 3) then why go on?

Do you realize that Dr. J scored 18 points per game on 45% shooting in that title run with Moses? Why would Moses NOT receive the majority of the credit for carrying that team (yes... carrying) to a championship?

Erving wasn't even the second best scorer in the postseason on that team. HE was cleraly past his prime. Please stop talking.

Moses averaged f#cking 27 points and 16 rebounds on 55% shooting in the postseason.

Yep... It is literally exactly like this James/Wade/Bosh run.
    Is this 83 again? I'm talking about the 82 Erving. Like I said, no point in discussing 83 when you don't understand 82. Just like the guy claiming Harden >>> Kobe on the Lakers vs. Thunder debate, no point in discussing any of the other players when someone has an opinion like that.

The debate is over.

Harden >>> Kobe
    Erving was not Top 3 in 82

End of debate

I'm out

Ok man if you think Erving is "absolutely" not a Top 3 player in 82 then there is no point in going on.

Top 3 in MVP Voting
    Top 3 in PER (Statistics)
    Top 3 in Team Success (Clear-cut best player leading team to Finals)

But absolutely not Top 3? Yeah okay you are completely unbiased and not trying to just make your point

I'll wait for ANY year in NBA History where player dominated MVP, Stats, and Team Success, but was not Top 3. Or in this case, "absolutely" not Top 3. Or was this the only year in NBA history which this occurred to you? lol

Unbelievable. Like I said, no point in debating with anyone who is this lost and biased. It's like debating with someone on who will win Lakers or Thunder, and their 1st argument is Harden >>> Kobe. There is no point in going on. Sure they might have other arguments (Erving declining or w/e), but if they can't admit the obvious (Kobe > Harden or Erving was Top 3) then why go on?
    How old are you? Why are you debating someone who was actually alive during those years when you were somewhere out in the cosmos?

You are way out of your depth, sport. Stick to the fantasy forum.

Is this 83 again? I'm talking about the 82 Erving. Like I said, no point in discussing 83 when you don't understand 82. Just like the guy claiming Harden >>> Kobe on the Lakers vs. Thunder debate, no point in discussing any of the other players when someone has an opinion like that.

The debate is over.

Harden >>> Kobe
    Erving was not Top 3 in 82

End of debate
    No point in debating 1983 when THAT IS THE YEAR THEY JOINED FORCES?!?!?!

Just STFU, stop addressing me, and go pose next to some cars that don't belong to you.