Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Wilt would not get close to his scoring averages in today's game, lets be real.

inb4 cavaliersftw meltdown

3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Wilt would not get close to his scoring averages in today's game, lets be real.

Even if it was by design, OP is still right because no coach of the last 30 years is letting any player take 40 shots per game. Its not happening. On top of that, no coach and more importantly, no owner or GM is letting there star player every single minute of every game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Frank McGuire wasn't fired, his son got sick and the team moved to San Francisco, he was from PA and didn't want to move his family. He was actually VERY successful as the Warriors coach using his "feed Wilt" system... took Boston to 7 games in the EDF... the previous year without him, the Warriors with essentially the same team didn't make it out of the first round. The next year they sucked ass too after he couldn't make it, and they failed to even make the playoffs. Wilt still shot a lot but it wasn't under McGuire anymore. McGuire made Wilt dominant but he also made the team successful. Was actually the first coach Wilt ever really trusted and respected in the NBA.
    I was talking about the 76'ers. Schayes being fired for Hannum during '67.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Even if it was by design, OP is still right because no coach of the last 30 years is letting any player take 40 shots per game. Its not happening. On top of that, no coach and more importantly, no owner or GM is letting there star player every single minute of every game.
    Of course not

Wilt would probably average something along 25/13

Do you really think Wilt would need 40FGA to score 50 on Perkins?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

it takes energy to take shots - the ability to attempt 40 shots in a single game, let alone average that many is being vastly underrated itt.

no one other than wilt could take that many shots and still average 50% shooting... that's the amazing thing about the shot attempt number.

surely if wilt were to take 20 shots per game, he'd probably shoot 65%.

Quote Originally Posted by SupermanOnSteroids
    wilt wouldnt average much more than 30 in this era. maybe 31, maybe 32. but not much more
    lol, i'm not even sure he could average 22.

Wilt is a very adaptable player, who's been wildly successful shooting anything from 13 to 40 times a game. Of course his averages are going to vary depending on how you use him - in any era. And how you use him is itself as dependent on surrounding personnel as it is on Wilt himself.

In today's game, around 20 shots per game in his scoring prime sounds reasonable if he buys the system.

I don't think anyone, even the most ardent Wilt stans, would argue Wilt would average 50, or even 40, PPG in this era. Part of the reason his FGA/game was elevated was due to the faster pace, so that has to be taken into account along with no coach is going to let him take 40 shots per game. Still, I don't think something like 30 and 15, at his peak, is out of the question. Wilt is arguably the most physically gifted/biggest physical freak in NBA history. The only players I think that come close, especially relative to their position, are Shaq and LeBron.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    I don't think anyone, even the most ardent Wilt stans, would argue Wilt would average 50, or even 40, PPG in this era. Part of the reason his FGA/game was elevated was due to the faster pace, so that has to be taken into account along with no coach is going to let him take 40 shots per game. Still, I don't think something like 30 and 15, at his peak, is out of the question. Wilt is arguably the most physically gifted/biggest physical freak in NBA history. The only players I think that come close, especially relative to their position, are Shaq and LeBron.
    And You Forgot BARKLEY at PF. The Master Of The Modern 2-Pointer!
    Last edited by Round Mound; 07-29-2014 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SupermanOnSteroids
    yea dude. and you would go out for ice cream with elizabeth hurley at her most vunrable.
    brah, elizabeth hurley is 50 years old.. is that how old you are?? ayyyyy lmao

Dunno why ISH voted him #4. Dude is the GOAT choker and stat padder.

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Wilt played like a typical NBA 2K mycareer center.

why exactly are people questioning if he could score over 20? Wilt has way more skills than every center in the league right now and probably more athleticism. MINIMUM he would score is whoever the highest scoring center was last year. Even go back some years ago and look at Yao dominating everyone (including Shaq sometimes) while being somewhat soft. Yao's jumper was a little wetter than Wilts but couldn't bang or run like him. I see Wilt as easily a 28+ ppg scorer in this league. Even in the 90s I think he hits that. How was Ewing better than Wilt? Ewing tore the 90s up at times.

Good High School Starter dreamwarrior's Avatar

he would avg 18/20/6 in today's league. and he would probably win 8 rings on the lakers