Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Default Re: Beal vs. Waiters

Like I said, Waiters is better than Beal. Cleveland one ups Washington again.

coach scott put him on deng early in the game, and he got burned, gave up a putback, and another easy score, got benched, but he responded great. when he got bqck in he was far more attentive defensively, just doing the simple things, see-the-ball-see-your-man, giving good effort.

nice to see him respond well to the quick benching.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    coach scott put him on deng early in the game, and he got burned, gave up a putback, and another easy score, got benched, but he responded great. when he got bqck in he was far more attentive defensively, just doing the simple things, see-the-ball-see-your-man, giving good effort.

nice to see him respond well to the quick benching.
    Yeah, you're right. He was actually benched four minutes into the first quarter. He got caught a couple times on D and with his rebounding position and missed a couple shots.

Came back and scored 25 in the next three quarters, including probably the biggest basket of the game with the Cavs up 1 with about 2:30 left. Kid has ice-water in his veins. No fear.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Dion became the first rookie this year to score 25+ points in back-to-back games last night. He's now averaging 19 points on 58% shooting in his last five.

Not too shabby. He may compete for that EC Rookie of the Month Award after all.

In February:

Dion Waiters
    11 games
    27.5 minutes
    15.1 points on 52.3% shooting
    3 assists
    3 rebounds
    1.1 steals
    Team Record: 6-5

Brad Beal
    7 games
    33.6 minutes
    17.7 points on 47.8% shooting
    2 assists
    5 rebounds
    1.0 steals
    Team Record: 5-2

Two fine looking rooks.

Unlike Cavs fans I think most people won't ignore 3 point shooting (50% vs 19%) which makes Beal the more efficient scorer. And the rebounding disparity is strangely large given that the Cavs are missing their best rebounder.

The only advantage Waiters has is assists (2.8 vs 2.4) which isn't much given that Irving is the 3 point champ and Wall's jumper is still horrible. I am worried about him.

I will say this though. I think the Cavs did the right thing picking Waiters over Barnes. Barnes literally has no game off the dribble. And it would have been tough to take a flier on Drummond at 4. I am a little surpsied at how much TRob has struggled.

i was scared that you guys were going to trade up to 2 and take Beal.

RBA, what prospects do you have your eye on this year in the draft?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    Unlike Cavs fans I think most people won't ignore 3 point shooting (50% vs 19%) which makes Beal the more efficient scorer. And the rebounding disparity is strangely large given that the Cavs are missing their best rebounder.

The only advantage Waiters has is assists (2.8 vs 2.4) which isn't much given that Irving is the 3 point champ and Wall's jumper is still horrible. I am worried about him.

I will say this though. I think the Cavs did the right thing picking Waiters over Barnes. Barnes literally has no game off the dribble. And it would have been tough to take a flier on Drummond at 4. I am a little surpsied at how much TRob has struggled.

i was scared that you guys were going to trade up to 2 and take Beal.
    LOL such a reach. That statement would make sense if they were taking even close to the same amount of threes. You don't realize this, but you're pumping up Beal's success compared to Dions based on a totally unsustainable number.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyCool
    LOL such a reach. That statement would make sense if they were taking even close to the same amount of threes. You don't realize this, but you're pumping up Beal's success compared to Dions based on a totally unsustainable number.
    So you think non-Cavs fans will ignore the 3 point disparity? LMAO

He has been sustaining it since Jan 1 on 4 attempts per game and that includes a 6-20 stretch when he was playing with an injured shooting wrist.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

cant go wrong on both

to me its like mitch ritchmond vs ray allen...

so thats why i picked Beal ...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    So you think non-Cavs fans will ignore the 3 point disparity? LMAO

He has been sustaining it since Jan 1 on 4 attempts per game and that includes a 6-20 stretch when he was playing with an injured shooting wrist.
    You're missing the point. Waiters doesn't take many threes anymore, and is starting to play like the slasher he was drafted as. Are you telling me the 3 point % is the purest judge of efficiency or are you just saying that because it suits your argument? I'm sorry but if their monthly scoring averages are similar and Dion fg% is over 50 and Beal's is under 45 then that's going to be much more eye opening then 3 point %.

Also by your logic, Wall shooting 7% from three makes him so innefficent that he shouldn't play another minute in the league.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Are you telling me the 3 point % is the purest judge of efficiency or are you just saying that because it suits your argument?
    He clearly didn't say that.

I'm sorry but if their monthly scoring averages are similar and Dion fg% is over 50 and Beal's is under 45 then that's going to be much more eye opening then 3 point %.
    Huh? I had to re-read that about 3 times before somewhat understand what you were trying to say. A high 3pt % matters quite a bit especially if it's coming on a high volume of shots. And depending on the actual figures, it can absolutely even a ~5% difference in FG%.

Also by your logic, Wall shooting 7% from three makes him so innefficent that he shouldn't play another minute in the league.
    Whose logic is this? No one has claimed this. John Wall is a very inefficient scorer and his lack of 3's is a big reason but he clearly does other things very well which makes him a valuable starter.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    He clearly didn't say that.

Huh? I had to re-read that about 3 times before somewhat understand what you were trying to say. A high 3pt % matters quite a bit especially if it's coming on a high volume of shots. And depending on the actual figures, it can absolutely even a ~5% difference in FG%.

Whose logic is this? No one has claimed this. John Wall is a very inefficient scorer and his lack of 3's is a big reason but he clearly does other things very well which makes him a valuable starter.
    "Unlike Cavs fans I think most people won't ignore 3 point shooting (50% vs 19%) which makes Beal the more efficient scorer."

Yeah he clearly does say that.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

"Unlike Cavs fans I think most people won't ignore 3 point shooting (50% vs 19%) which makes Beal the more efficient scorer."

Yeah he clearly does say that.
    The implication was the 3pt shooting combined with everything else boosts him over Waiters in terms of overall scoring efficiency (which I agree with). Not 3pt shooting on its own.

You're missing the point. Waiters doesn't take many threes anymore, and is starting to play like the slasher he was drafted as. Are you telling me the 3 point % is the purest judge of efficiency or are you just saying that because it suits your argument? I'm sorry but if their monthly scoring averages are similar and Dion fg% is over 50 and Beal's is under 45 then that's going to be much more eye opening then 3 point %.

Do you not understand basic math or do you just not know how to read?

Beal scored 17.7 ppg on 12.9 attempts in the games in question.
    Waiters scored 15.1 ppg on 11.8 attempts.

Which player scored more efficiently in those games?

The bigger and more important question is why Waiters rode the Syracuse bench for 2 years

As a side note Wall has been a train wreck lately. If they lose tonight it is on him.