Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How good was Duncan's post game in his prime?

Some great replies in this thread.

One other thing that Duncan did better than pretty much everyone else, if not in history then at least in his era was getting blocked, regaining possession and finishing the play. Duncan could get blocked two or three times in a play and still convert the basket in the end. He would never get fazed by the defense.

He also mastered all the subtleties of a pivot's ground game. Commentators often notice things like footwork and moves, but they're not the only offensive skill needed for a bigman. For instance, how you use your upper body is tremendously important - if you play in the low post, you quickly realize that this is arguably the single most overlooked post skill in the game. You can create a big advantage by positioning your body a certain way, using your elbow and shoulder, etc. McHale and Olajuwon are mostly praised for their footwork but they too were amazing at this aspect of the game.

He was legitimately great. Even today he's probably one of the best 3 or so in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Warners0
    Duncan had literally every post move in the book. He used both hands. Right hook left hook fade away. And a nice drop step. It was nothing flashy but it was the most effective post game of his era not named Shaq because Shaq was pure power. But Duncan dominated as well just with skill, touch and strength just not as much strength as Shaq. Duncan also never forced anything and in my opinion is why he didn't score more than he could have, he was so hell bent on making the right play. Kicking it out to open teammates when the double came that he took shots away from himself. But in hindsight his unselfishness set the blueprint of why the Spurs probably are who they are.
    Every single thing that is said right here.

NBA Legend

What is the point of discussing duncans game, the only thing that matters is how many rings did he get, how many as "the man", was he "the man" for all his rings, did he get any rings while not "the man" but as "robin" instead and how does his number of rings compare to the rings of others who won rings as "the man"

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    What is the point of discussing duncans game, the only thing that matters is how many rings did he get, how many as "the man", was he "the man" for all his rings, did he get any rings while not "the man" but as "robin" instead and how does his number of rings compare to the rings of others who won rings as "the man"
    Because not basketball fan is an idiot.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

I never saw Duncan or Hakeem/McHale in their prime, but it seems to me that while Duncan never had the 'flash' of those 80s big men, he didn't need it.

It seems like Hakeem has all the moves to get the defender to bite of a shot fake or move out of position, while Duncan looks more patient, using more subtle fakes to get the defender off balance and then capitalise on that mistake.

No idea if that's accurate but that's how it looks on highlights.

Very good NBA starter

Not a new thread but for sure Duncan's repertoire of post moves is versatile and balanced . He can score going to or away from the basket, go off the dribble, face up, shoot in the midrange, against double and triple teams, etc.

Won't be surprised if Duncan to younger fans becomes an underrated scorer, but like Warners0 has mentioned it was often by design and basically the fabric of the Spurs brand of basketball. He could have scored more but he played for a slow paced, grind em out team and it wasn't always what the team needed. He attracted so much attention even without scoring (Michael Finley may have been butt hurt over his end with the Mavs, but in his first season with SA he said (paraphrasing) that he had never played with a player that commanded so many double teams, in reference to Duncan).

Tim Duncan lead the Spurs in assists (5+ per game) in his second championship run and it's in his nature to make the right play. He has immaculate court vision for a big man... Having said that, his scoring and presence was dominant in his prime. If he was in his prime currently, he'd be the best player in the league IMO.

some of his scoring numbers:

30+ points --- ~120 games
    25-29 points --- ~200 games
    20-24 points --- ~300 games

Career high 53 points against Dirk's Mavs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9wOz1fBtmg

27 ppg / 14 rpg averages in the 1999 Finals
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAFX-gIeMvI

37 pts / 16 rebounds to knock Shaq's Lakers out of the playoffs, ending their reign.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_iN6qwvoS8

Quote Originally Posted by kNicKz
    Only Duncan can stop Duncan from scoring in the post

duncan is the guy i would go to learn post game if i was a young big in the league. I don't think hakeem is a good option unless you have elite footwork and lateral speed like him.

Great. Not on the level of Hakeem, McHale or Kareem's, let's say, but great regardless. Very skilled and smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    duncan is the guy i would go to learn post game if i was a young big in the league. I don't think hakeem is a good option unless you have elite footwork and lateral speed like him.
    It's not like Duncan doesn't have elite footwork. He is on par with Hakeem in that area. But Hakeem was way too quick and agile.

Don't forget that BANK shot

That bank shot was money. pun.

National High School Star SsKSpurs21's Avatar

I am going to miss Timmy when he is gone.
    Last edited by SsKSpurs21; 03-17-2014 at 05:27 PM.

Charles barkley was a better offensive player.

His running right hook across the lane was money with or without contact, with or without elevation.